PDA

View Full Version : John Townsend Exhibit

Jack Hogoboom
07-05-2005, 4:09 PM
I was lucky enough to spend a day at the NY Metropolitan Meseum of Art over the July 4th holiday. They have a special exhibit containing 44 works by John Townsend, the famous Newport colonial furnituremaker. What a treat!! According to something I read on the internet, a low table made by him sold in 1998 for almost $5 million!!! The pieces were mostly highboys and knee-hole desks. Spectacular cabriole legs. Now I know where Lonnie Bird gets his inspiration.

You just can't believe the attention to detail in Townsend's pieces. The exhibit shows one turned upside down and comments on the unique way he supported ogee bracket feet, dovetailed top supports, etc. Just amazing (and pretty humbling) to see what they were able to accomplish without power tools.

Any woodworker who is near NYC owes it to themselves to go see the exhibit. It will absolutely mesmerize you.

It's open until the end of September. Highly recommended!!!

Jack

Carl Eyman
07-05-2005, 5:36 PM
You Lucky Guy! I've been wanting to go to that in the worst way, but money obligations, and inerta will keep me from it.

lou sansone
07-05-2005, 8:02 PM
if you are ever over in the newport RI way, stop in to the "ball and claw". Jeff Greene is the owner, and for those familar with 18th century furniture and in the newport tradition you will recognize the name. Google his name and you will see the book he has written. His work is pretty good and it is all there for sale and viewing.

enjoy
lou

Alan Turner
07-05-2005, 8:36 PM
Lou,
I thought that Jeff Greene was a Pennsylvania maker. Is he also in Newport, RI?

lou sansone
07-05-2005, 9:09 PM
hi alan

not sure about the philadelphia part, but yes he is a native of RI and has his store in newport. his book "American Furniture of the 18th century" has his bio on the back inside cover. He does a lot of work for the newport historical society and reproduces many of the Goddard / Townsend pieces.

lou