PDA

View Full Version : The Flight of a Lifetime

Jim Koepke
08-03-2014, 2:24 PM
We took four of our grandkids to PDX (Portland, OR) for a flight to SFO (San Francisco).

The real fun was while looking at the screen by the boarding gate I noticed there were 117 booked and 113 checked in. So I wanted to make sure it wasn't our four not checked in. We were good with our online check in.

I do not know about modern procedures since my last flight was about 30 years ago.

Anyway the pilot was standing by the desk and we started talking about the plane, our age, politics and telling a few jokes. He heard me talking to the person at the desk and asked if the kids would like a special tour of the plane. So he came over and met the kids and offered to show them the cockpit and let them sit in the "captains chair."

We were not allowed to board since we were staying behind.

We were able to see through the lounge window into the cockpit where our grandkids seemed to be having the time of their lives.

Jacob is almost 9. I bet he remembers this trip for a long time. His sister and brother are 11 and 12, surely they too will remember this trip for a long time.

jtk

Paul McGaha
08-03-2014, 9:55 PM
Cool. Good story Jim. I'm sure your grand kids will remember that for life. Really nice of the pilot.

PHM

Jim Rimmer
08-04-2014, 1:23 PM
What a nice guy the pilot was. Neat story.

Joe Kieve
08-04-2014, 2:09 PM
Just curious...what airline? Good PR and guess which airline they'll fly when they have a chance!

Jim Koepke
08-05-2014, 1:58 PM
Joe,

It was Alaska Airlines.

jtk

Roger Feeley
08-09-2014, 10:19 AM
that makes some sense. Alaska Air gets high marks for customer service. I've never flown them but I would like to someday.

Bert Kemp
08-13-2014, 8:36 AM
We took four of our grandkids to PDX (Portland, OR) for a flight to SFO (San Francisco).

The real fun was while looking at the screen by the boarding gate I noticed there were 117 booked and 113 checked in. So I wanted to make sure it wasn't our four not checked in. We were good with our online check in.

I do not know about modern procedures since my last flight was about 30 years ago.

Anyway the pilot was standing by the desk and we started talking about the plane, our age, politics and telling a few jokes. He heard me talking to the person at the desk and asked if the kids would like a special tour of the plane. So he came over and met the kids and offered to show them the cockpit and let them sit in the "captains chair."

We were not allowed to board since we were staying behind.

We were able to see through the lounge window into the cockpit where our grandkids seemed to be having the time of their lives.

Jacob is almost 9. I bet he remembers this trip for a long time. His sister and brother are 11 and 12, surely they too will remember this trip for a long time.

jtk
My girlfriend at the time took her grand kids to new Zealand and the pilot did the same thing. Think he'll remember this trip for a while?294750