PDA

View Full Version : Gloat & kudo's

John Miliunas
05-24-2003, 9:02 PM
First, I'd like to thank all those providing me with recent feedback on their experiences with various belt/disc sander combo's. After all was said and done, I finally decided on the Jet 708596K. That would be the 6x48 belt/9" disc, with the open stand. Mercy, what a nice machine! Smooth, easy to adjust, lots of weight to keep things stable and, oh my, the dust collection! Simply awesome! That was one of my deciding factors. Everyone else (on similar sized machines), seems to have between 2" & 2-1/2" ports. I don't know, maybe they do the job just fine, but I really like just switching the hose from my portable planer and throwing it on the sander. After a few test pieces and, without my overhead air cleaner going, I could not detect any airborne dust! Granted, I just tried it on a couple small pieces, but it certainly looks like it's doing the job.

Now, to the "kudo's" part of this post. A little preface first. When I told LOML that I had decided to buy Jet, I promised her I'd look around for "a deal". Needless to say, all the usual places had the customary 379.99 price tag. After doing some searching, I found that GIS had a S&D priced substantially less. I immediately emailed them to check on availability and shipping costs, giving them several options I was willing to take on the shipping (pickup at freight terminal and such). Yesterday, LOML asked if I was going to Woodcraft to get my new sander. I told her I was still waiting on a reply from GIS. She mentioned that the guys down at our Woodcraft have always treated me well and I should just go there. Period.

So, I gave that some thought. After some very serious consideration, we were on our way into town (that would be about 2-1/2 minutes later!:D ). We walked into Woodcraft and she made a beeline for the crafts stuff while I went to talk to Ray. I told him what I was interested in, but that I could get the thing cheaper by going through Amazon, because it would be no tax and no shipping charges. He agreed, but said he really couldn't match that. I then asked him about when the next 10% discount day was. His eyes lit up. He said, "Not until July, but we could do something else!" He said he could write it up as a "pre-paid layaway", dated for July. I started to whine, because I didn't want to wait until then. He told me I wouldn't have to! Done deal! It only gets better. I picked up a couple belts & discs, another book on turning and about 26 bd/ft of Cyprus, which was already discounted as their "wood special of the month". I paid the man, loaded up and we were on our way. We stopped at Mac's Steak House (uh, that would be McDonald's) for lunch and I pulled out my receipt, because I couldn't get over the 10% discount on the Jet. Wrong answer, buckaroo! No, I looked it over twice and then thrice. Those good for nuthin', addiction-inducing, underpaid turkeys at Woodcraft had NOT given me the 10% for the sander, but for every, single last item I picked up! During our little conversation back at the store, Ray said something to the effect of, "Well, seeing as to how you've been such a good customer...." Guess what? I'll *remain* a good customer at the Madison, WI Woodcraft! No affiliation, but I would consider it a privilege! One happy camper here!!!:D :D :cool:

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-24-2003, 10:14 PM
There are still some people who know how to run a business. Too many just don't seem to realize that their cutomers ARE their businesss. Of course you will always check with them first. Glad things worked out so good for you.