PDA

View Full Version : What would you get?

Alden Miller
07-05-2005, 2:47 PM
In a couple weeks I'll be in Maine, just a hop, skip, and jump away from Warren, ME. I will of course be making the mandatory stop at Lie-Nielsen. I have stashed in my truck a $100 gift certificate (advance planning on my part) to LN.

I've got a reasonable assortment of LN planes already. I'm thinking of the low angle smoothing plane, what would you get?

-Alden

Matt Meiser
07-05-2005, 3:36 PM
I just got a flyer from them with a new medium shoulder plane about the size of the Lee Valley one, but the same design as the original Lie Nielsen sholder plane. That's what I would buy.

Robert Tarr
07-05-2005, 4:03 PM
Alden,

Kind of depends on what you have already. If it were me, it would be a #8 and/or the #98/#99 combo, as I am all set up in the plane department (don't tell my wife...) I have and like the LA Jack, and I also purchased an additional blade to sharpen at a high bevel. I would also think hard about the bench chisels they have to offer. Lastly, test out the tite-mark marking gauge. Pretty nice piece of gear.

Have fun and put the LN benches through the paces.

RT

Roy Wall
07-05-2005, 4:04 PM
IMHO,
THe following LN planes are the best buy for the money:

The #164 is a good choice
so is a #62
and a #2
and a #10 1/4 rabbet

Dave Anderson NH
07-05-2005, 4:24 PM
Trips to LN Toolworks are a serious danger to your wallet. I was there 3 weeks ago and it hurt really bad. No folks, I've nothing to show the Picture Police since the items were ordered and haven't been delivered yet. It was the first time I'd been up there for about 6-7 years and the place sure has grown. Tom and I were reminiscing about the old showroom which held a bench, a couple of dozen sample tools, and up to 6-8 folks ONLY if they were very intimate friends. The new setup is a positive palace by comparison and there is plenty of room to try out the temptations. The new 7500sft building should just about being getting its delivery of new machine tools about now. While I was there, a riggers truck arrived bearing 2 more CNC surface grinders for the addition on the back of the original building. These were numbers 7 and 8 if I recall correctly.

If you have time, stop up the road in Rockland at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship and check it out. It's only about a 10 minute drive and someone at LN can give you directions.

Michael Perata
07-05-2005, 5:49 PM
I'm thinking of the low angle smoothing plane, what would you get?
-Alden
I'd opt for the #4 1/2 with an extra high angle frog. (you'll save enough in not buying sand paper to pay for the plane in a couple of weeks :p )

I think you'll find more uses for this plane than the LA smoother. I have both and use the 164 - almost never. It is really a big block plane and good for planing across the grain and big boards.

Mike Wenzloff
07-05-2005, 7:23 PM
I'd opt for the #4 1/2 ...you'll find more uses for this plane than the LA smoother. I have both and use the 164 - almost never. It is really a big block plane and good for planing across the grain and big boards.
Hi Michael and All,
Both the LA BU planes can pretty much work any timber as well or better than the 4 1/2. Just get one or two replacement blades sharpened at steeper angles.

I do not have the LN versions, but do the LV ones. The LV are bedded at 12 deg., so with a 38 deg primary it will work exactly as a 4 1/2 with the 50 deg frog. Put a 47-50 deg primary (combined angle = 59-62 deg) and it will nearly tame any highly figured wood. Just set the mouth close and set the blade for a light cut. You would be amazed.

Mike

Michael Gabbay
07-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Having seen almost all of Alden's collection, you will understand why he asks the question. He's running out of LN products to buy! :D It's a good thing Thomas came out with chisels.

My personal choice would be the large or medium shoulder plane, scrub or possibly the edge plane.

The other option is you can pick me up the LA Jack. ;)

Mike

Robert Tarr
07-05-2005, 10:29 PM
I have the LN edge plane (#95) and wouldn't recommend it, if you have a bunch of other planes...Not that it isn't a good plane, quite the opposite and very useful for beginners I think. I just feel that you can spend the money on a ton of other planes and still get the same result. The scub on the other hand is really nice to use. I have an old German scrub and the LN (thanks to my bride) and keep them both just about as sharp as my smoothers. They come to the bench every time the jointer and jack do. As far as shoulder planes, I like the LV version more. It just fits my hand better.

Another suggestion from me, is the butt mortice plane. It rocks for it's intended purpose, plus if you do any furniture repair, especially veneer work, it does a great job of stripping off old damaged veneer. I also love my #140 block plane.

Either way, please let us know what you come back with...

Alan Turner
07-06-2005, 6:02 AM
I have some LN planes, and they are great, but the radius soled Boggs spokeshave is one of my favorite tools ever. A really tight mouth. I also have the LN dowel plate which I also enjoy. Undersized dowels are a thing of the past. Plus, you can make a dowel out of whatever wood fits your fancy.

Dan Clermont in Burnaby
07-06-2005, 6:47 AM
If it were me and I had a $100 gift certificate and was to get 10% off. I would splurge for the LN #8.

THe LN #8 is $475 - 10% = $427.50 less $100 = $327.50 (that is cheap!)

Give me the gift certificate and I'll take care of it for you :D

Have Fun!!!

Dan Clermont

Steve Wargo
07-06-2005, 7:59 AM
The spokeshaves are top notch, and I really like my #9 miter plane. And thanks Alan, because I've been waiting for someone to post on the dowel plate. Heading to pick one up tonight now. The beading tool is also an excellent choice. Even if you have a scratch stock, or many, The beading tool really has it's place. Have fun spending. I'm also very pleased with all of the saws produced by LN.

Alan Turner
07-06-2005, 8:02 AM
Steve,
I agree on the No. 9 iron miter. As to the beading tool, I have it, but more often use the blades in a homemade holder. Doing it again, I would just buy the blades, and maybe some blanks. You will love the dowel plate.

Alden Miller
07-06-2005, 1:32 PM
Ok Dan, the GC is in the mail to you...

The Boggs Spokeshave is another on the maybe list.

It'll probably turn out to be dangerous and I'll go in there un-decided. Good thing my wife will be with me to temper my enthusiasm!

-Alden

for spelling

Tony Zaffuto
07-06-2005, 3:00 PM
Early in June, I "redeemed" all birthday and Christmas gift checks, etc. and came up with more than enough to order a bronze #4 with high angle frog. Received it in time to complete a bookcase made of QS white oak and it worked beautifully! Given that I have several Stanley #4's, I <maybe> should have gone with a 4-1/2 with HA frog, but the #4 does it for me. I would heartily recommend a #4 with HA frog.

Right after that "snuck in purchase", for Father's Day, I received a Clifton #3 that is also a beauty! The sole is dead flat, and the iron takes an edge better than any other iron I have. Out of the box, with only some modest honing and flattening of the blade, it was cutting sub .001" full width shavings (non gnarly QS white oak).

Mike Wenzloff
07-06-2005, 3:19 PM
Snip...
Right after that "snuck in purchase", for Father's Day, I received a Clifton #3 that is also a beauty!...
Hi Tony, the Clifton #3 is a great plane. I really like their blades better than A2 (well HC blades in general).

My only problem with the sucker is keeping a hold of it. No, I don't lose my grip (well, sorta). It's my oldest son. I think it is now on permenant loan. It's the plane he goes for every time.

Michael Gibbons
07-06-2005, 3:33 PM
Alden, For $100 you could get a straight handled dovetail saw ($75) and a dovetail marker ($25), or chisels @ $50 each. or maybe some Norton sharpening stones (price varies). A regular dovetail saw will set you back $125.

Mike

Tony Zaffuto
07-06-2005, 3:38 PM
I certainly agree with liking high carbon steel better than the A2 I have (new LN #4 and my LN low angle jack are both A2). All other toys are HC. In fact I need to get a new blade for my #7 and I believe Ron Hock still has HC blades available.

The Clifton took an edge as quick or even quicker than any other blade I've got, and better yet, it holds the edge! (cherry and QS white oak so far).

In the same white oak, I have an old 1" Witherby chisel that is close to full length, bought for $5.00 at a flea market. Evidently in it's past someone must have tried to sharpen it on a grinder, and took the hardness out as the edge crumbled (same oak).

Michael Perata
07-06-2005, 7:52 PM
Hi Michael and All,
Both the LA BU planes can pretty much work any timber as well or better than the 4 1/2.
Mike
Oh yeah, well let's just do a "plane off" and see. ;)

Actually, I like the feel (heft) of the #4 1/2 and find it much easier to control when working a flat surface than the #164.

Mike Wenzloff
07-06-2005, 8:50 PM
Oh yeah, well let's just do a "plane off" and see. ;)
Actually, I like the feel (heft) of the #4 1/2 and find it much easier to control when working a flat surface than the #164.
Hi again, Michael (geez we got a good name...),

Yep, wouldn't sell my LN 4 1/2. The LV BUS at 5# is a serious contender for combining the heft and BU properties I find appealing though.

But the 6 1/2# lignum vitae Knight coffin with a Japanese blade at 60 degrees ain't too shabby either when the grain is really wild. The old Preston infill is a go-to plane as well.

But you know which plane of mine that touches every piece of wood that leaves the shop? It is a single-handed 7" low-profile smoother from Knight at 50 deg. With the grain, against the grain doesn't matter. I don't even press down really.

Kinda blows my feelings about heft being necessary.

Take care,
Mike