PDA

View Full Version : Using a Bosch JS365 Jig Saw for Mitering

Will Crosby
08-02-2014, 11:52 AM
I recently purchased a Bosch jig saw model JS365 for a few projects, involving some mitered cutting. When the jig saw's foot is set to a zero degree angle, it cuts like a dream, and is very accurate. The foot can be rotated for making 15, 22½, or 45 degree angled cuts, and there is a pointer to indicate you have successfully adjusted the foot to one of these angles. But loosening the single screw that holds the foot, in order to rotate to a new cutting angle, actually allows the foot rotate on all planes. The loosened foot is so wobbly around the single screw, that in theory it could be re-tightened at an infinite number of angles, with the indicator still pointing to the desired angle setting. I retightened it numerous times, with the indicator pointing to 45 degrees, but cut a different angle each time, none of which were actually 45 degrees. The foot remained flat to the wood I was cutting, and I was running it along a parallel edge guide. I’m wondering if another brand or model might be more effectively designed for cutting angles other than zero. I'd be grateful for anyone's response. Thank you.

Rick Fisher
08-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Will.

I have never cut a miter with a Jig saw because I never considered it to be accurate.. I have an old Bosch.. the blades bend .... etc..

The way things change, I wont be surprised if its possible and I just missed it .. but I am a bit skeptical..

Charles R Johnson
08-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Jig saws are really a roughing out tool mainly for curves. For mitering with nice joints I'd look into a powered miter saw and for real accuracy a jig on the table saw. Be careful as this is the slippery slope of wood working tools.

Jerry Miner
08-02-2014, 3:18 PM
What you are observing is the precision limits of a jigsaw. It is not the right tool for a precise miter. You can rough-cut a miter with it, if you are prepared to finish with another tool (block plane, for example), but don't expect any jigsaw from any manufacturer to give you a precise miter.

Matt Day
08-02-2014, 4:00 PM
I think the answer is that you need to reevaluate the tools you're using. There are many other tools that can be used - CMS, table saw with jig, CS with jig, hand saw, etc.

Will Crosby
08-12-2014, 8:19 PM
I really appreciate everyone's responses to this posting. It's frustrating that the manufacture suggests the tool might be used for mitering, and the adjustability is so poor. But I can definitely now see how a circular saw would be preferable. Thank you!

Bill Orbine
08-13-2014, 8:26 AM
I really appreciate everyone's responses to this posting. It's frustrating that the manufacture suggests the tool might be used for mitering, and the adjustability is so poor. But I can definitely now see how a circular saw would be preferable. Thank you!

Accuracy is a challenge when I miter with a Bosch jigsaw. But I have done it but very rarely. However, I would be very disappointed if the jig saw DIDN'T have tilting base. For example, the jig saw is excellent for a skew scribe cut on cabinets and baseboards to make it easier to hand plane to fit.

Loren Woirhaye
08-13-2014, 11:06 AM
The idea that a jig saw is appropriate for mitering may have to do with a specific definition of mitering as it's used in scribing crown moulding. With a jigsaw you can make a contoured coping cut on an angle.

For things like picture frame miters a Japanese pull saw works well. I like the Gyokucho wood-handled Ryoba saws and they are a lot of saw for the money and well balanced.

Miters can be cleaned up with a hand plane, or if you're feeling less craftsman-like a jig can be made up using coarse sandpaper glued to a flat board and used as a sort of "shooting board" for correcting hand sawn miters.