PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Grill Cabinet/Cart Question

Mike Goetzke
08-02-2014, 8:29 AM
I'm ready to build a rolling cabinet/table for my grill. I would like to use drawer to store my gear - including my digital thermometers. I'm worried about water (snow) getting into them. I see many tables have been built with drawers and doors. Any construction tips to seal out moisture? (I know a cover will probable be needed but I'm sure there will be times it gets rained on uncovered.)

Also looking for suggestions for good outdoor wood.

Thanks,

Mike

Matt Meiser
08-02-2014, 8:33 AM
You could store stuff in plastic containers which would be water and bug/critter resistant.

Eric D Matson
08-02-2014, 10:05 AM
When I built my grill table, I did include a drawer in it. It was on the interior of the table and have never noticed any water in it. I did make sure to use stainless steel slides to cut down on rust. I have never had a problem with my drawer. I included two doors that I used plastic shoebox totes to store smoking wood and a charcoal caddy on the other side. I made the top out of concrete and it has held up well over the years. I made it out of cedar. I did give it 4 coats with an outdoor poly. Here is a pic.

Mike Goetzke
08-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Plastic containers should work. I like that concrete top and the heavy duty tires!

I have seen so many great designs of these tables but I liked this one the best:

Grill Table (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138745/my-table-is-finally-home-and-egged-lots-of-pics)

I will eliminate the space for the small kamado since I have one large round ceramic grill. See all those drawers? Like it but worried about rain/snow. (I now just noticed one of his drawers has a metal mesh bottom)

Mike

scott vroom
08-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Also looking for suggestions for good outdoor wood.Mike

Redwood, Cedar, White Oak (rift or quartered to minimize movement). A good exterior adhesive like Loctite PL Premium for the glue joints.

Eric D Matson
08-03-2014, 9:41 AM
That is a good looking table Mike. I like the arches cut out to allow for easier ash access. That would especially be handy on the small but you don't have to worry about that. One thing I would be worried about would be the charcoal popping during the lighting phase. I have seen other people's tables that have little burn marks when the charcoal pops out. I am going to build a deck and will need to change my table in the near future. I am going to see what I can find for granite remnants for a table top. I may also look closer at a Brazilian hardwood like tiger wood or cumaru. Ipe looks good but isn't very cost effective. Those pneumatic tires gave me a lot of table instability so I built jack stands that I can crank up and take the weight off the tires. I don't know how worried I would get about the rain and snow. I would think as long as the top drawer has an overhang over the drawer face you should be fine. Just my thoughts.