PDA

View Full Version : Are both these barn sale tools arbor presses?

Doug Hobkirk
08-01-2014, 9:37 PM
These are items for sale. I've never used anything similar to either.

The closest one looks like a "power" drill?

I am guessing that red handlesticking up would turn the drill
Does the big red wheel exert pressure (threaded shaft?)
Is the smaller wheel below a locking device? For less pressure? For something totally different?
It looks like the bottom "plate" (I don't know what else to callo it) swivels right or left
The whole assembly is mounted on a board that's at a slight angle

The gray one = DAKE ARBOR PRESS

I have actually been in this barn several weeks ago. I got a 10" water grinding wheel and two "vintage" (i.e., the rust is very thick) plows. But there are apparently some things that didn't sell. The photo is from the Craig's List ad.

Thanks!

Steve Kohn
08-01-2014, 10:10 PM
The picture is not the best but the grey item in the back indeed looks to be an arbor press. However the item in the front looks to be and old hand cranked drill press.

Bob Vavricka
08-01-2014, 10:35 PM
It looks somewhat like a "post drill" but most have the crank wheel on the side. I did see one picture of one with a wheel at the top. I agree the other is an arbor press. Growing up we had a smaller version and it was a Dake brand also.

Ronald Blue
08-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Definitely an arbor press and a post drill. The handwheel on top is unusual though.

Doug Hobkirk
08-01-2014, 11:10 PM
It looks somewhat like a "post drill" but most have the crank wheel on the side. I did see one picture of one with a wheel at the top. I agree the other is an arbor press. Growing up we had a smaller version and it was a Dake brand also.
After some searching for "post drill" I am convinced you are correct. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Moses Yoder
08-02-2014, 4:29 AM
It looks like the post drill would have a handle for cranking on the right, not really visible in the pic. The wheel on top is to adjust the bit downwards as you drill I think. It may be the other way around. Most of the later ones had a crank on the right and automatically adjusted down. THis is definitely an early drill and a nice addition to the shop, way cool factor, but they are not worth a lot due to weight for shipping, the amount of room they require, etc. I restored a nice one and had it in my shop for years, eventually sold it.

Mike Cutler
08-02-2014, 6:42 AM
They are a very common Arbor Press, and a Post drill. The hand crank is on the side and the red wheel applies the pressure. The small gold wheel in between manually releases the shaft once once you're done.

george wilson
08-02-2014, 8:32 AM
Yes,a blacksmith's post drill and an arbor press. As said,many of these old post drills had a ratchet mechanism to "power feed" the drill down. These are not a lot of fun if you have to use one for your everyday drilling. Not very good for woodworking due to the super low RPM's you get with them. They would just tear the wood. They are for metal drilling.

kent borcherding
08-02-2014, 10:19 AM
The post drill is great for drilling stainless steel , a good bit and the slower speed of the drill . Drilled a lot of holes is stainless using a post drill.