PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Sugar Pine vs White Pine

George Bokros
08-01-2014, 7:32 PM
I have some sugar pine left over from a prior project but not enough for the new project. Since it is 2 hr drive to the sawmill where I can get additional sugar pine and one board will cost me ~$30 I am thinking about using white pine I can get locally. My question is if I stain the two will this take stain similarly and not be obvious they are two different materials. I will use blotch control to control penetration and achieve even coloration.

Dave Zellers
08-01-2014, 7:50 PM
White pine can cover a pretty wide range of different qualities, but I would think blotch control would certainly go a long way toward evening things out.

Are we talking Charles Neil's BC? If so you are using water based stain? If not I would use Mixwax's wood conditioner with oil based stain.

I've had great results with CN's blotch control, dye, shellac, and then General Finishes water based stain. I was able to blend birch plywood and poplar perfectly.

George Bokros
08-01-2014, 7:54 PM
Yes I will use CN blotch control and water based stain or dye.

Dave Zellers
08-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Dye first, dewaxed shellac, then stain. I was blown away (it was my first time) and so was my client.

Phil Thien
08-02-2014, 8:39 AM
If you have a couple of scraps of the species you could try your finish schedule and see how closely they match.