PDA

View Full Version : FWW Wipe On Finish test...

Roy Wall
07-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Just wanted to know your take on the final specs.......

I think the cheapo minwax wipe on poly took the prize!!

Alden Miller
07-05-2005, 12:56 PM
I've used the minwax wipe on poly for years. It's easy to use and leaves a nice finish. I wasn't surprised at the test results and actually a little pleased. Although I will say I hope it doesn't cause a rush on getting cans of it because I want it to be there when I need it.

-Alden

Kevin Murdock
07-05-2005, 1:50 PM
What surprised me most was how poorly (2nd to last or last place) Tried and True was ranked and commented on given that it is highly spoken of here on the forum. They noted that it took forever to dry.

Though it should be noted that they didn't use "Original Blend". I think that they used the "Varnish Oil" version.

Is there that much of a difference between the two? If so, I wonder why they didn't test both or a least the Original only.

/Kevin

Roy Wall
07-05-2005, 2:29 PM
What surprised me most was how poorly (2nd to last or last place) Tried and True was ranked and commented on given that it is highly spoken of here on the forum. They noted that it took forever to dry.

Though it should be noted that they didn't use "Original Blend". I think that they used the "Varnish Oil" version.

Is there that much of a difference between the two? If so, I wonder why they didn't test both or a least the Original only.

/Kevin
Good points Kevin--- I ordered T&T just because of this forum....

I did get the "Danish Oil" blend.......so I'll try it out and see if it takes a week to dry:confused: :confused:

Martin Shupe
07-05-2005, 3:06 PM

/Kevin

There are 3 types of T&T.

BLO with beeswax, which I have not used. I have a can on the shelf, and when I find a project that does not require a durable finish, I will try it.

BLO, which I have used, and I like. It takes a couple days to dry, comparable, IMHO to regular BLO, but without the harsh chemicals.

The Varnish oil version, which was a bear to work with. This is the one that takes forever to dry. When it finally does, it is a pleasing finish, but it is just not worth the hassle, again, IMHO.

What I am doing now, and I am learning by trial and error, is using two coats of the T&T BLO in order to deepen the color of cherry, followed by 3 or 4 coats of Medium Sheen Waterlox.

I used Minwax poly once, and while it was not the wipe on version, the results were so poor that I will never consider using any Minwax product ever again.

Matt Meiser
07-05-2005, 3:32 PM
I've been using the Minwax wipe on poly for quite some time now because it is easy and quick. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially on newer projects where I didn't apply it so heavily.

John Keane
07-05-2005, 8:43 PM
I saw the results of the FWW test and went to HD to get a can of wipe on poly.
Took a can of regular Minwax poly and a can of Wipe on Poly and the directions are identical. So what does wipe on have over 'non wipe on'?

Jim Becker
07-05-2005, 9:52 PM
Relative to the question about T&T, Martin spells out the formulas. I have used all three. The one that FWW didn't prefer is also the one I do not prefer or use. The original oil-only and oil with beeswax are my standard finishes for decorative items as well as some furnitue where it is an appropriate finish.

I have also used the MinWax wipe on poly and it worked well. I almost never use poly, but this particular product is one of only two MiniWax products I will buy. (The Antique Oil Finish is the other and I use it on turnings when finishing on the lathe)

Jim Becker
07-05-2005, 9:55 PM
I saw the results of the FWW test and went to HD to get a can of wipe on poly.
Took a can of regular Minwax poly and a can of Wipe on Poly and the directions are identical. So what does wipe on have over 'non wipe on'?

Excellent question. The wipe on costs more, in a sense, since it's just thinned MinWax polyurethane varnish. Make your own by cutting the regular stuff 50% with mineral spirits (or naptha if you want it to flash off a little quicker). That said, I buy the premixed wipeon since I rarely use poly and the small can is "just easy". (No way do I want a can of poly sitting around...the stuff has a shelf life, especially after it's open)