PDA

View Full Version : Help needed putting a tire on a 21" band saw

Tom Lewis
08-01-2014, 1:39 PM
I have a 21" band saw I use to cut wood for my wood lathe. I need to replace the tires on the 21" wheels. I have bought 21" tires from two different places and they are way, way too small. I know the tires need to be maybe 20% smaller, but these are 50+% smaller than the wheel. Even though I have soaked these tires in hot water, I have broken two of them trying to stretch them on.
I can't believe it's that hard.
Anyone have that experience? Any suggestions? Any place you would suggest I buy 21" tires from? Thanks.

Roger Chandler
08-01-2014, 3:32 PM
Sounds like someone gave you 12" tires and got the number inverted! I would try Carter and get someone on the phone to talk to.....they specialize in bandsaw items.........likely they can give you all the info you need to get a good fit!

I don't think I can give you a direct active link due to the TOS agreement here on SMC but you can look up Carter Products dot Com and see the link for bandsaw tires and wheels..........these folks are experts! Good luck!

Tom Lewis
08-01-2014, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the help, I will check on the Carter company. Here is a picture of the tire and the wheel. Doesn't it seem like the tire is too small?

Tom Lewis
08-01-2014, 7:02 PM
I just checked with the Carter Co. and they said they did not make tires for a 21" wheel.

Dennis Ford
08-01-2014, 7:29 PM
If that yellow tire is rubber, it should stretch enough (it will not be easy). I used hand clamps on the wheel to trap the tire from sliding off the starting points while I stretched the tire.

I have not installed any polyurethane tires but understand that they don't stretch as much; if that is a polyurethane tire, I am guessing that it is too small.

Tom Lewis
08-01-2014, 9:32 PM
Here is a picture of the tire I got from Grizzly, It has no stretch to it. I soaked it in very hot water, still no stretch to it. I broke one trying to put it on.

Tom Lewis
08-01-2014, 9:35 PM
I have ordered tires from two places for my 21" band saw. The tires appear to be too small. Even after soaking in hot water, they would not go on. I broke both trying to stretch them on the 21" wheel.
Any suggestions? I asked Carter and they said they don't make 21" tires.
Here is a picture of both tires and the wheel.

Darryl Hansen
08-01-2014, 10:02 PM
try Itura design in Florida. They know all there is to know about band saws.

Bill Orbine
08-01-2014, 11:03 PM
I'm assuming you are trying to stretch a 20" bandsaw tire onto 21" bandsaw wheel... Am I right? You'd be stretching those tires and extra 3.14". 21" bandsaw is an odd size.

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/urethane-price-list.html

They mention they make tire for odd sizes. I don't know much about them.

Alan Gan
08-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Just wondering, did you order the tires from the Mfg. or at least the same part number?

Now I see your other Post, what's up with that?

Rick Fisher
08-02-2014, 12:40 AM
You can order from Sulfer Grove if its an odd size..

You can probably make them fit with 3 clamps. Basically you clamp the tire to the wheel, really tight.. then stretch.. really far.. maybe an 8" section.. Clamp it tight.. Then repeat..

It will actually start to seem like the tires are a bit loose..

Urethane based hair spray helps keep the tires from creeping..

I would go for it ..

Hot water was irrelevant to me .. Clamp, stretch, clamp, stretch..

Matt Day
08-02-2014, 7:07 AM
Looks like you double posted somehow since there are two of the same thread going right now. Mods?

Lee Schierer
08-02-2014, 7:22 AM
Try Suffolk Machine (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/urethane-price-list.html) They don't list a 21" tire, but they may be able to make you a custom one. Give them a call.

Jim Matthews
08-02-2014, 7:32 AM
try Itura design in Florida. They know all there is to know about band saws.

+1 for Jose.

I call him first, and buy from his stock when possible.
He'll steer you straight.

John Coloccia
08-02-2014, 7:53 AM
Yeah, the tires stretch, but it takes a LOT of force to do it. How did you break the tire? You must have gotten a nick on it, or something.

Anyhow, yes, the 21" tires are a royal pain to get on. FAR harder than any other tire I've ever had to install. It also seems like practically no one makes a 21" tire, which leads me to believe that no one actually makes a 21" tire and that what you end up with is a 20" tire, and that makes it even more difficult.

It's tough to tell by looking if that's too small, but from memory it seems about right on a 21" wheel.

John Lanciani
08-02-2014, 8:07 AM
Right here; http://woodworkerstoolworks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_4&products_id=4&zenid=e93k20mfa3mnai0smnqmmaipu2

Honest people, fair prices on top quality products, and you don't have to play phone-tag with a company (Iturra) who refuses to accept that the internet is real.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer

Phil Thien
08-02-2014, 8:33 AM
I highly recommend calling Sulphur Grove Tool:

http://www.sgtool.com/

They make the tires right there, and he knows just how small he can make them before you can't install them any more. He also can cut them to the exact width required by your wheels, and compensates for the loss in width due to stretching (as close as he can).

Tom Lewis
08-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Sorry about the double posts. I tried to find the first post to add a picture, and couldn't find it, so I made a second post. The tires I ordered were suppost to be for a 21" rim. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jon Prouty
08-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Stretching a tire to fit is one job that I find terrible. I've had to do 19" wheels recently and it is a nightmare. Super hot water and plenty of struggling. Best of luck!
JP

Lee Schierer
08-02-2014, 9:41 PM
I don't know much about them.

The make Timberwolf blades for band saws.

Myk Rian
08-02-2014, 9:45 PM
Thanks for the help, I will check on the Carter company. Here is a picture of the tire and the wheel. Doesn't it seem like the tire is too small?
WAY too small.
Max water temp is suggested at 140ºF

Guy Belleman
08-03-2014, 12:16 AM
If you watch these installation videos you might be see how the tire should look before installation. Three different techniques for putting on the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbwJD5dh2kY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMg31TmV2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUK6RmpE28k

Larry Edgerton
08-03-2014, 12:23 PM
I just blew a tire on my 20 " delta this morning..........

Larry

Tom Lewis
08-03-2014, 2:05 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. Guy, thanks so much for the videos. I really like how the Sulpher Grove demonstrator did it. I still think the tires I have been sent are too small. The ones I got from Grizzly have NO stretch at all. If Grizzly doesn't send me the right tires I think I will get some from Sulpher Springs. I e-mailed them with a question, and they answered right back.
Thanks again.

Jon Nuckles
08-03-2014, 3:25 PM
I've had to replace the tires a couple of times on a Grizzly 17" bandsaw. Using the replacement Grizzly tires, it is a real struggle to get them to fit. You need water hot enough to make the tire VERY uncomfortable to hold before they will stretch enough to go on, and you need to work fast or they will cool down too much. My shop is not near my home, so it took a hot plate a long time to reach the necessary water temperature. Good luck with your search.

Tom Lewis
08-03-2014, 7:29 PM
I can't hardly believe it. I followed the third u-tube video that Greg Belleman suggested. It was put out by the Sulphur Grove shop. I didn't use the tires from Grizzly, I still don't think they will work, but I used another one I had. And, it was EASY. It was almost like magic. After all the trouble I have been through it's amazing. Thanks Greg.
Anyone who has trouble with tires, watch the Sulphur Grove u-tube video, make the jig like he has, and it's easy.

Guy Belleman
08-03-2014, 10:05 PM
You are welcome.

Mort Stevens
08-04-2014, 2:56 PM
Anyone who has trouble with tires, watch the Sulphur Grove u-tube video, make the jig like he has, and it's easy.

I'm confused. I watched the 3 videoS linked above and didn't see any jig to make the job any easier? Can you provide the link to the video you're talking about - thanks!

Tom Lewis
08-04-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't blame you for being confused. I just watched the three videos, and they aren't the same ones I watched yesterday.
Go to u-tube and type in Band Saw Tire Installation Jig see if that doesn't get it.

Jim Mackell
08-05-2014, 5:50 AM
Here is the you tube link. Incredibly simple technique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4etjdqmwz8

John Coloccia
08-05-2014, 6:18 AM
Gosh dang...that's brilliant.

Gus Dundon
08-05-2014, 2:26 PM
Tried to search for 21" tires, never thought that companies don't have this size.

Tom Lewis
08-05-2014, 6:36 PM
Sulpher Grove can make any size. They are making mine.