PDA

View Full Version : Help with ratchet crimp tool for electric connectors

Dave Lehnert
08-01-2014, 12:34 AM
I need to invest in a ratcheting crimp tool.
Can anyone tell me what is the difference in the Klien vs Greenlee? (I know the die is different in the examples linked to) Just seems to be a big price difference and I am not familiar with hand tools for electric work.
I would have expected the Klien to be much more expensive. What am I over looking and any buying advice.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-45501-Interchangeable-Insulated-Terminals/dp/B0042T940C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406866990&sr=8-4&keywords=greenlee+crimpers&dpPl=1

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VDV212-803-SEN-Ratcheting-Crimper-Hex-Crimp/dp/B0035Y6XKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406867078&sr=8-2&keywords=kline+crimpers&dpPl=1

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2014, 1:23 AM
Dave,

In the 40 years I worked in electronics, Greenlee was considered the ultimate and yet Klein was a good, reliable, long lasting tool.

If equivalent dies are available for both crimpers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.

Brian Elfert
08-01-2014, 9:11 AM
Greenlee is made overseas and Klien makes most everything in the USA yet. You would need to check if that crimper is made in the USA or not.

ray hampton
08-01-2014, 4:00 PM
check the specs to see which tool are longer

Erik Loza
08-01-2014, 5:22 PM
How often/many times do you plan to use it? I bought the cheapest one they had at Lowes (same style as what you posted but still not "cheap"... $40, I think?...) and it worked fine for me. But I may use it only a dozen times during my life. I feel the same way about stuff like this as I do about Snap-On hand tools: The guy who uses it every day and for his living probably has a different expectation than a weekend warrior like me. Just my 2-cents as always,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Dan Hintz
08-01-2014, 8:10 PM
How often/many times do you plan to use it? I bought the cheapest one they had at Lowes (same style as what you posted but still not "cheap"... $40, I think?...) and it worked fine for me. But I may use it only a dozen times during my life. I feel the same way about stuff like this as I do about Snap-On hand tools: The guy who uses it every day and for his living probably has a different expectation than a weekend warrior like me. Just my 2-cents as always,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

This ^^^^^

I purchased a minimal-cost version of all of my crimping tools (not the cheapest, but definitely low on the cost scale), and I have crimped a LOT of connections over the years. I still haven't worn any of them out, and the crimps are still great.

Dave Lehnert
08-01-2014, 10:22 PM

Erik Loza

Minimax USA

I'm with you about buying what will work for your needs. I just thought I may be overlooking something because the Kline is cheaper than the no name brand available at the local auto parts store. Kinda like seeing a Festool drill selling for the price of Ryobi.

John Lohmann
08-02-2014, 3:23 PM
Look at Knipex, best pliers & Dikes out there