PDA

View Full Version : Orbital 6" Sander & Belt Sander Recommendations

Chris Stormer
07-31-2014, 7:57 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation on a 6" Orbital Sander (hooked to air) and a belt sander.

I need something that is heavy duty and will be able to handle heavy daily work. Even the expensive stuff on amazon doesn't seem to be great.

Peter Kelly
08-01-2014, 9:41 AM
Dynabrade Dynorbital Supremes with vacuum are good and not terribly expensive. Mirka also makes a pneumatic version of the Ceros. I haven't tried it but the DC version is amazing.

How big of a compressor do you have? Pneumatic sanders need pretty sizable machines to drive them.

Chris Stormer
08-01-2014, 10:35 AM
I have a 20 hp rotary compressor running my sanding area.

For sure my biggest challenge is finding quality equipment that can run all day.

Dave Cullen
08-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Airvantage, Dynabrade, and Hutchins are what the body shop guys use for random orbit 6" sanders. You can choose the throw (aggressiveness) and with or without vacuum. Here's a source for those:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=T

If you want rotary and not random orbit I would suggest the Makita 9227C electric 7" sander. It's a beast that will last a lifetime.

I can't comment on a belt sander, never owned one.

Jonathon bunyard
08-04-2014, 11:49 PM
I have a makita 3x21 belt sander that is a beast gad it going on 9 years now and thats not light use so far i gaventbeen able to any makita sander there pretty tough