PDA

View Full Version : A new building added onto my shop (lots of pictures)

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 9:20 AM
(part 1 of 3)

I love carpentry and construction as much as I do woodworking, so I have had fun during the last two weeks building a small garden tool shed onto my relatively new workshop.

Picture #1 is a little over two weeks old and shows the area where the deck that I had to move to build the shop is to be restored and the garden tools shed is to be constructed.

Picture #2 shows the propane tank in it's new position (I had the propane supplier move it) and the post to hold up the extension installed. When I had the holes dug for my shop a little over a year ago, I had them dig the hole for this post as well. The hole sat with a wooden cover over it since then.

Picture #3 shows the framing for the garden tool shed.

Picture #4 shows one of the double doors under construction

Picture #5 shows the glue-up of one of the bins that will be placed on the interior of the doors.

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 9:23 AM
(continuing on with exterior pictures of the completed garden tool shed)

Picture #1 shows the (almost) completed extension along with a portion of the shop. The photo is taken from the back door of our house. I know that we are going to enjoy having this little private alcove on the deck. Another big advantage of the extension is that it really cuts down on the noise from our neighbour’s air conditioner. The (new) deck boards (salvaged from the part of the deck that I needed to remove to build the shop) are only loosely in place and still need to be restored.

Picture #2 is a view taken from our front garden and picture #3 is taken from the workshop roof. The wall line and the facia of the workshop appear to continue almost uninterrupted from the shin the interest of good runoff.

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 9:26 AM
(continuing on with the interior pictures of the completed garden tool shed)

Picture #1 shows an overall interior view. Picture #2 and picture #3 show close-ups of the left and right sides:

All the material used on the interior was left over from the construction of the workshop. Those of you who have read my notes about the workshop construction, might recognize the yellow OSB boards screwed to the front of the studs. They were first used to simulate the fluorescent light fixture placement in the shop. The bin on the leftmost door is a prototype and parts for seven more have been sawn and are awaiting assembly. All that remains to do on the tool shed, is the installation of a door lock, the securing of the hinges with bolts that can’t be removed from outside and the completion of the bins on the doors. Oh, yes, I might also get around to painting the interior some day :) .

Thanks for looking.

Lou Morrissette
07-05-2005, 9:49 AM
Looking good, Frank. You've made good use of a relitavlely small space. Very neat. It's amazing how quickly we can fill a shed the day we finish it. :D

Lou

Scott Banbury
07-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Very cool, Frank!

I bet ya got more room for new power tools now, eh?;)

Bob Noles
07-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Frank,

Good job and use of space. I like construction as much as woodwork also. You have given me some ideas to think about. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Singer
07-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Frank,

Well done! Nice thought and design!

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Frank,

Well done! Nice thought and design!
Thanks Mark. Getting a compliment from you on my design means a lot to me.

Jay Knepper
07-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Nice job, Frank. You probably already wonder how you did without it.

But, what is the deal with that Neanderthal lawn mowing device?

Jason Tuinstra
07-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Frank, outstanding! I need one of those in a bad way! You did great.

Christian Aufreiter
07-05-2005, 2:18 PM
Very nice, Frank. I really like the great organization. Can I hire you for getting the mess out of our garage? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Christian

mike malone
07-05-2005, 2:41 PM
Nice clean job Frank!!....but is that actually a PUSH mower??? Didn't know you were a neanderthal haven-ist.
regards
mike

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 2:57 PM
Very nice, Frank. I really like the great organization. Can I hire you for getting the mess out of our garage? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Christian
Thanks Christian.

I would certainly do the work for you and I would do it for free. All you would need to do is arrange a plane trip for me to and from Austria. :D

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 3:03 PM
Jay and Mike, you both spotted my Lee Valley push lawn mower. (catalogue # http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10190&cat=2,2160) I have the 18 inch version allong with the grass catcher and the sharpening kit. It works great and I don't need to fuss with a battery, a cord, or gasoline.

Richard Wolf
07-05-2005, 3:09 PM
It looks great Frank. Looks like your building an industrial complex there!

Richard

Frank Pellow
07-05-2005, 5:16 PM
... Looks like your building an industrial complex there!

Richard
I sure hope that my neighbours don't think that it looks that way. :eek:

Christian Aufreiter
07-05-2005, 5:38 PM
Thanks Christian.

I would certainly do the work for you and I would do it for free. All you would need to do is arrange a plane trip for me to and from Austria. :D

Thanks. That would be great. I'll try to arrange a flight ;) .

Christian

Jim O'Dell
07-05-2005, 6:34 PM
Frank, it looks like you designed it to be there from the gitgo. Very nice! Jim.

Don Selke
07-05-2005, 6:41 PM
Great Job Frank:

My projects here are going to come to a hault real soon, It is 113 here today in the desert south west. I am in the shop very early and out by 11AM. We plant tomatoes and vegies here in October, a real change from when I lived in Illinois.
You do excillent work and the shop looks just great.

Bill Lewis
07-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Frank, nicely done. looks like you planned it that way all along.

Frank Pellow
07-06-2005, 3:28 PM
Frank, it looks like you designed it to be there from the gitgo. Very nice! Jim.

Frank, nicely done. looks like you planned it that way all along.

Thanks Jim and Bill. I did have something along these lines in mind all along. But, I was not sure exactly what until the day before I started to build it.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-06-2005, 3:45 PM
Blends right in Frank! You did a fantastic job with your shop and the deck.