PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Glass Fixes?

Rich Riddle
07-30-2014, 9:19 PM
Are there any fixes for scratched glass on a picture window? Anything that will even make it slightly better?

Garth Almgren
07-30-2014, 9:56 PM
Depends on how deep the scratches are, but there are polishing compounds that go from really mild to really abrasive. A lot of big box stores sell a scratch repair kit with a polishing pad that you can chuck up in a drill.
If they aren't too deep, try toothpaste or a baking soda/water paste and a lot of elbow grease.

Dan Hintz
07-31-2014, 6:04 AM
You'll need some diamond paste of various grits to get out anything noticeable... toothpaste, baking soda, et. al., unfortunately won't be hard enough. They do sell kits, as mentioned (sold mainly for windshield repair), but you may find a good deal on something at a local window installer/repair company.

Duane Meadows
07-31-2014, 9:57 AM
Autoglass stores can repair chips. Maybe that can be done to your window also?

Andrew Pitonyak
07-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Can you stick your finger nail into the scratch? If so, you probably need to replace the glass. Even if you do manage to polish out the scratch, you may leave a noticeable shiny spot.

The repair process depends on the glass type. Also, you can break the glass while trying to repair it so it is generally best if you can pull the glass so that you can sit it flat on something.

I would probably start with very fine polish such as cerium oxide, which is used by jewelers to polish stones. Use a polish wheel at around 1500 RPM with a power drill or dremel tool.

Note it is listed as a way to polish glass on the WIKI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerium%28IV%29_oxide

Most applications I have seen are on cars and I do not know how that compares, but, I have heard of people using it on other glass.

http://www.amazon.com/Cerium-Oxide-Grade-Polishing-Powder/dp/B007KOC19C

You might also try an automotive store or even stop in at a glass shop to see if they will sell you some. You need to create a paste (add water I think).

If you have diamond paste, that might work better, but be sure to have a few different grits for the job.

Wear a dust mask so you do not inhale glass powder or similar.

Especially if you do this with the glass in place, just assume that the glass will shatter and fall on you so wear some protective gear. I am not saying that it will, but protect yourself as though it will. Face covering, etc. If glass shatters then drops down and hits your hand, that could be gad news.

Erik Loza
07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
I actually used some metal polishing paste on the felt wheel of my Dremel tool to polish out scratches on a wristwatch bezel and it worked surprisingly well. I know I have seen some kits at the auto parts store that are pre-loaded foam bonnets on a drill arbor. Specifically for polishing out minor chips in windshields. I guess you wet them and the surface, then go to it. High rpm and lots of water seems to be the key. I'm sure there is something for you. Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Andrew Pitonyak
07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh, and be sure to test on an inconspicuous spot before you slap some course diamond paste onto that glass and make it worse :-)

Andrew Pitonyak
07-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Good write-up http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?36261-Glass-Polishing-by-Machine-Defect-Correction