PDA

View Full Version : Painting PT plywood

Wade Lippman
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
3 months ago I built some shelves out of PT plywood. In retrospect it wasn't the brightest thing to do, but I had the plywood on hand and like to use up what I have before buying more.

It was 30% moisture 3 months ago. I figured it would get down to 10% or so in a few months, but it is still 15%.

How low does it have to be before I can paint it?

ray hampton
07-30-2014, 1:51 PM
will the paint that you use be water-based OR oil -based

Mike Wilkins
07-30-2014, 1:55 PM
Not sure how long it will take to get it dry enough to paint, but you may have to help it along with some fans and spacers between sheets. I painted a treated mailbox post without problems. It has to be dry as possible, use more than one sealer/primer coat, and it can be done. Good luck.

Wade Lippman
07-30-2014, 4:58 PM
will the paint that you use be water-based OR oil -based

Water based

Lee Schierer
07-31-2014, 8:44 AM
It was 30% moisture 3 months ago. I figured it would get down to 10% or so in a few months, but it is still 15%.

How low does it have to be before I can paint it?

Where are these shelves located? If they are in a garage or unconditioned out building, with all the rain we've had this summer, 15% moisture is not surprising. Wait until fall before the temps drop below freezing over night and check the moisture again.

Phil Thien
07-31-2014, 9:28 AM
I replaced some window sills that had rotted due to decades of exposure to weather. Used PT lumber. I painted about a week after installing them, they were still quite wet. The paint has held up great after maybe 5-6 years, still going strong.

Wade Lippman
07-31-2014, 9:46 AM
Where are these shelves located? If they are in a garage or unconditioned out building, with all the rain we've had this summer, 15% moisture is not surprising. Wait until fall before the temps drop below freezing over night and check the moisture again.

They are in an airconditioned space, but in a closet with minimal air flow.