PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good "Eclipse-style" guides???

Harold Burrell
07-30-2014, 9:25 AM
I guess my question is in the title...Are there any good "Eclipse-style" guides???

I have a couple, but they are cheesy (And we are not talking Sharp Cheddar Cheesy. More like Imitation American Cheesy.)

Does anybody make a good one?

David Weaver
07-30-2014, 10:24 AM
stu (toolsfromjapan) has one that's made in japan, but it's not an original eclipse. It'd probably cost about $30 to get one shipped to here, and up to you to determine if it's better than just finding the other types on sale at different places.

For a while, harbor freight had eclipse style guides painted blue or purple for $3.99.

Kim Malmberg
07-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Oh no , here we go again. I will just say that I have used it and found a bit too poorly made and difficult to use for my own liking. My example had uneven sides and recesses so the blade had a tendency to be slanted in the jig. Yes, you can file the jig but to me if you are going to use one make sure it is a good one.
I will be killed for this but the best one I have found is this simple Stanley jig here:
Http://flickr.com/photos/finnberg68/sets/72157635594536633
Simple to set up, simple to use and rolls very easily on any surface.

Prashun Patel
07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
I have heard good things about the Kell side clamping guide.

Steve Friedman
07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
I have heard good things about the Kell side clamping guide.
I have the large and small Kells guides. Expensive, but the small one is excellent for narrow chisels. Unfortunately, having the wheels "outboard" means you need a platform on the sides of the stone for wide blades or narrow stones.

Harold, I bought a vintage Eclipse (not just Eclipse-style) guide from someone on the UK auction site. Seems much better made than the $10 ones out there. I also have the one Lie-Nielsen sells and it's fine as well, but not quite as smooth as the real Eclipse.

Steve

Tom M King
07-30-2014, 1:53 PM
You can still find the originals on ebay. I have one I bought new 40 years ago, and it's still dead on accurate. I frequently hear of problems with the Chinese knock-offs on forums.

Tony Zaffuto
07-30-2014, 2:24 PM
I got an original Eclipse for a couple of bucks at a MWTCA tailgate sale a few years back. Reason cheap was the wheel would not turn freely, but that was easily cured through disassembly, cleaning and oiling. I have a knock-off, can't remember where it came from, but at the time I was using jigs, I typically bought stuff from Tools for Working Wood or Lee Valley. It operates as well as the original Eclipse.

I believe David Charlesworth offered some alterations/improvements on the knock-offs as a chapter in one of his fine books. I did not try the changes, but they were offered to address issues such as mounting a Japanese chisel, etc.

I don't believe there are any issues with a jig this simple, that can't be solved through investing a bit of time to smooth out the rough edges and oil a bit (or apply the same time to learning to sharpen free hand!).

Jim Belair
07-30-2014, 3:53 PM
I believe David Charlesworth offered some alterations/improvements on the knock-offs as a chapter in one of his fine books. I did not try the changes, but they were offered to address issues such as mounting a Japanese chisel, etc.

I tuned mine using the Schwarz instructions and it helped considerably. Still not perfect in every application but what guide is?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/tune-up-a-cheap-honing-guide

David Barnett
07-30-2014, 4:35 PM
I have an original and have always liked the simplicity, but I did the Puchalski fettle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojzzCXq5ook&feature=youtu.be) to a friend's more recent jig and it works nicely. Years ago I made a similar jig from 6061 aluminum which I still use on chisels with less common geometries and another special purpose jig from black acetal.

Some have even modded the Eclipse into a whole sharpening system, like this one for scary-sharp (http://www.wwgoa.com/no-tech-sharpening-system/).

It would seem easy to make a high quality Eclipse knockoff, but don't know anyone offering one. Of course there are other jigs that work similarly.

david charlesworth
07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
One day L-N will bring theirs out.

For Christmas? or is this just my wishful thinking.

I have to say that the poor standard of some of the present day models, does not seem to matter much.

Squareness of chisels , for example is a function of finger force and where you put it, not of the geometry of the guide.

Best wishes,
David

Mike Brady
07-31-2014, 1:41 PM
Why settle for Eclipse-type? Original Eclipse brand guides are often available on the UK versions of auctions sites. I have three of them---each slightly different---, but they are definitely well made and accurate. You will probably pay about twice what a knock-off version sells for. David Charlesworth mention the one from Lie-Nielsen that they have shown at trade events, but have never released. If they ever do produce it, you know it will be done right. It won't be inexpensive.

Randy Karst
08-03-2014, 1:48 AM
Last I heard it might be out by this fall but...

Robert G Brown
08-03-2014, 2:30 AM
L-N has one out now based on the Eclipse for $15
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/blade-sharpening/side-clamping-honing-guide/

Mike Brady
08-03-2014, 12:47 PM
L-N has one out now based on the Eclipse for $15
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/blade-sharpening/side-clamping-honing-guide/

That's a generic copy of the Eclipse. Just ok. They may be introducing a much-improved proprietary version with interchangeable jaws for virtually all honing scenarios and USA quality. The question is "when"?

David Barnett
08-03-2014, 1:45 PM
One day L-N will bring theirs out.

Squareness of chisels , for example is a function of finger force and where you put it, not of the geometry of the guide.

I eagerly await L-N's entry. While you're right that almost any Eclipse-style jig will work fine, something a little more snazzy wouldn't be a bad thing, although I'll likely stick with my original model and homebrews.

Yeah, technique—finger force, whatever—is the key and I consider that flexibility a feature rather than a drawback, allowing one to finesse things a bit.