PDA

View Full Version : Square Screwdriver Bits

Dan Case LR
07-29-2014, 9:45 PM
Who makes the very highest quality, longest life square-tip screwdriver bit?

Thanks!

D.

Myk Rian
07-29-2014, 9:52 PM
People still use those?

Sorry. I had to.

glenn bradley
07-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I have some that came from McFeely's nearly ten years ago that are still going strong. They are the hardened tip pressed in a softer shaft style. I have yet to have any of those fail, long or short. I have had poor luck with the all-one-piece style that DeWalt and Milwaukee badge that are light gray. Those have all gone the way of poor bits with one exception that seems to hang on for no known reason . . . maybe its because I choose it last and I just never get to it anymore(?) :confused:

Doug Hobkirk
07-29-2014, 10:44 PM
I echo Glen Bradley. And the red/green/gold colors are convenient.

Keith Westfall
07-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Not sure if we are ahead or behind up here in the Great White North (Canada) but at every counter in every hardware store, there are usually multiple buckets/containers of all sizes - short, long, longer, and sometimes longer ones. Probably the bit of choice up here...

Can I say that out loud?? :D

Rick Lizek
07-30-2014, 5:50 AM
In the last few years Irwin, Makita, Milwaukee and others are making impact type driver bits in various styles. Much better bits overall. You can find them at Home Depot Lowes Mcmaster Mcfeelys etc. they will say impact rated on label.

Matt Day
07-30-2014, 7:05 AM
Are we talking about a #2 Square drive?

John D Watson
07-30-2014, 8:23 AM
The most robust set I've used yet. And their color coded. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=58256&cat=1,43411,43417

Jack Jackson
07-30-2014, 9:42 AM
Another vote for the McFeely's brand... They send them free with certain screw orders. One of them I actually used to sink some screws through 2X4's into by brick fireplace and rounded a couple screws but the bits are still like new - these are the ones that have the hardened head that are pressed inside of the shaft.

Dan Case LR
07-30-2014, 9:56 AM
Thanks for your replies so far, guys. A few answers, not necessarily in any order (and a couple might be for questions noit asked):

Yes, #2 square for power driving screws, at this moment primarily pocket hole screws. I decided to try pocket holes on a cabinet I'm building and used that as an excuse to buy a Kreg K5 jig. To my surprise, the bit included by Kreg is total cr@p. It was thoroughly stripped before I drove 30 screws. Amost as disappointing as the swivel dust collection fitting that keeps popping off. I've used a lot of square-head screws in the past and know the one-piece bit like they provide has a limited life expectancy, but I expected to at least get through the weekend without a slipped bit ramming my project (or my hand).

I like the principal used in both the McFeely and Lee Valley bits--a hard tool-steel bit embedded in a shaft with a more moderate material cost. Bits strip when their material is no stronger than the screw heads they're driving. Unless you're driving an unusual screw, a tool steel bit should last forever (or at least longer than I will).

I tried to pick up a bit at my neighborhood Orange Box yesterday just to get me through, and to my surprise all I could find was the short bits made for magnetic holders. No sale -- I hate leaving bits behind!

D.

Keith Weber
07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
I find it funny that Americans call a Phillips screwdriver a Phillips, but they call a Robertson screwdriver a Square Drive. I guess they don't like to give credit due for something that wasn't invented in the US. I always get a blank stare when I ask somebody to hand me the #2 Robertson out of the 2nd drawer of my toolbox.

John Lanciani
07-30-2014, 10:09 AM
I have been extremely happy with these bits from Klein; http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/power-drivers-bits/2-square-power-drivers-6-152-mm-bit My local electricla supply house keeps them in stock and they seem to be very popular with the trades. Not cheap, but good stuff rarely is.

scott vroom
07-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I've used the Kreg square driver regularly for nearly 5 years....It's never slipped out and looks like it'll go another 5 years. Are you using true square drive screws and not those hybrid phillips-square screws? Stripped after just 30 screws doesn't sound right. Have you contacted Kreg?

Prashun Patel
07-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Kreg must have changed the quality of their bits, because I have been using the couple supplied with a Kreg kit for about 5 years without issue.

I have recently acquired two of the LV bits. They are wonderful. They are so solid and well-fitting, they sometimes even stick a little when you retract the bit from the recess after driving. I recommend these.

Bill Huber
07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I find it funny that Americans call a Phillips screwdriver a Phillips, but they call a Robertson screwdriver a Square Drive. I guess they don't like to give credit due for something that wasn't invented in the US. I always get a blank stare when I ask somebody to hand me the #2 Robertson out of the 2nd drawer of my toolbox.

The square drive was invented by Allan Cummings of New York City, it was patented in 1875, Robertson came up with a way to make the screws a commercial success.

Brian Tymchak
07-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Kreg must have changed the quality of their bits, because I have been using the couple supplied with a Kreg kit for about 5 years without issue.

I have recently acquired two of the LV bits. They are wonderful. They are so solid and well-fitting, they sometimes even stick a little when you retract the bit from the recess after driving. I recommend these.

I'm still using the Kreg square bit I got when I got my Kreg Mini jig ~10 years ago. Very good bit.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM

Got that right, if it aint developed in whatever country I happening to be living in that I use the shape name, otherwise it is the person who developed it. Well, either that or if I can't figure out what that shape might be.... I want to create an octothorp bit. :D

John Lanciani
07-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Got that right, if it aint developed in whatever country I happening to be living in that I use the shape name, otherwise it is the person who developed it. Well, either that or if I can't figure out what that shape might be.... I want to create an octothorp bit. :D

Like this? Fastenmaster calls it "Spiderdrive", though.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThNxLEz6KePgNY3RxPyw0H4EoSOK-W6odtf7uWfTw21vz1HuAg04tg8gE (http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.fixfirm.com/category/C703&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=qCDZU7zYKcWwyASjlIHIDA&ved=0CCwQ9QEwCw&sig2=gPx0SRbyAAifbUrvG-OaNw&usg=AFQjCNG8S3X_NOkvEPI3hQCjjiTNDbOaOg)

scott vroom
07-30-2014, 12:55 PM

See post# 15. It should be rightfully called a Cummings Driver, after it's inventor and patent holder. Robertson's contribution was improving the screw mfg technology. So the correct nomenclature when trying to impress your 19 year old hardware clerk is "where do you keep your Cummings driver bits and Robertson screws?". :rolleyes:

John Stankus
07-30-2014, 1:00 PM
See post# 15. It should be rightfully called a Cummings Driver, after it's inventor and patent holder. Robertson's contribution was improving the screw mfg technology. So the correct nomenclature when trying to impress your 19 year old hardware clerk is "where do you keep your Cummings driver bits and Robertson screws?". :rolleyes:

I thought the difference with Robertson screws was that the square drive (the tool and the recess) was tapered while the earlier square drives were not.

Dan Case LR
07-30-2014, 1:20 PM
I have been extremely happy with these bits from Klein; http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/power-drivers-bits/2-square-power-drivers-6-152-mm-bit My local electricla supply house keeps them in stock and they seem to be very popular with the trades. Not cheap, but good stuff rarely is.

I'm a big fan of Klein tools. I don't wear an electricians toolbelt anymore, but when I did it was filled with Klein tools and I would accept no substitute. I have a Klein 11-in-1 in my desk, another in the console of my truck, and one inside every site we support.

But, I've never seen one of these bits. Our local distributors don't stock them because there isn't enough demand. I know that when I was in the trade I didn't have the need for a power square-drive. The hand one filled the need perfectly. Of course back then drills didn't have batteries either.

That said, since it's a Klein tool I'd be extremely surprised if it doesn't exceed expectations. I'm searching for one online as we type.

Thanks!

D.

Dan Case LR
07-30-2014, 1:43 PM
I've used the Kreg square driver regularly for nearly 5 years....It's never slipped out and looks like it'll go another 5 years. Are you using true square drive screws and not those hybrid phillips-square screws? Stripped after just 30 screws doesn't sound right. Have you contacted Kreg?

I'm using Kreg-branded square-drive screws. It's possible I got a bad bit with the K5. Also possible that the bit they sold 5 years ago is a better bit than what they sell today.

David Eisenhauer
07-30-2014, 5:03 PM
Go get em Bill. No passes here. Good one.

Michael Liechty
07-30-2014, 7:27 PM
Wiha

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/Indx_power_bits.htm

ML

Myk Rian
07-30-2014, 9:29 PM
Wiha

http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/Indx_power_bits.htm

ML
They make nice screw drivers also.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-30-2014, 10:13 PM
I should have mentioned that I have had some pretty good luck with HighPoint bits, but they were a bit pricey. I don't know if that was because they were Highpoint or if it was because I purchased them at Woodcraft.

Jack Lemley
07-30-2014, 11:28 PM
I have a 3" square drive bit, two piece hardened end mounted in larger shank that I have used for going on 20 years or so and bought it from McFeeley's. It is still my go to bit unless I need longer reach for pocket holes. Haven't had any trouble with my Kreg bits either but they aren't nearly as old nor as used as my favorite.

Jack

Darcy Schaffer
07-31-2014, 3:25 PM
I thought the difference with Robertson screws was that the square drive (the tool and the recess) was tapered while the earlier square drives were not.

This is my belief as well. Robertson screws have a tapered square slot that "sticks" really well to the screwdriver. They're great for one handed assembly as they'll stay in place really well.

Darcy

Chris Friesen
07-31-2014, 7:38 PM
The most robust set I've used yet. And their color coded. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=58256&cat=1,43411,43417

The one downside of these is that the colour coating increases the size of the shaft to the point where they don't fit in some bit holders.