PDA

View Full Version : What dual fuel range?

Bob Vavricka
07-29-2014, 7:57 PM
A kitchen remodel is on the horizon including new appliances. I am planning on a dual fuel (gas cooktop, electric oven) slide in range. If you own one, tell me what brand it is and if you would buy it again. They seem rather expensive, so I would like to make the best decision possible. I'll be checking on some other appliances later. Thanks.

John M Wilson
07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
We've got a JennAir slide in unit, with a natural gas cooktop and a convection electric oven. The cooktop has replaceable modules, so we can remove a set of burners & replace them with a griddle or a grilling station. It has a vent system that goes through the floor & out the front of the house. My wife absolutely loves it.

Consumer Reports regularly disses this unit for poor reliability, but we have had it for about 15 years without any problems whatsoever.

Maybe we got lucky, but we would definitely buy again.

Garth Almgren
07-30-2014, 2:49 AM
We have a GE Profile slide-in with gas up top and an electric oven that does both regular and convection. I love the gas burners, and the convection is really a nice feature, especially since it does automatic convection conversion - you just put in the regular temp and the oven converts it to the correct convection temp. Each one of the burners is a different size for different jobs, so you can do everything from a light simmer to power boiling a large stock pot for canning.

The range came with the house, but if I had to replace it (and could afford it - ranges with all the features ours has start out at around $2000. Ouch!) I'd definitely go with a similar model again.

Ole Anderson
07-30-2014, 1:42 PM
We always had an electric range, but when I remodeled the kitchen last year, I decided to go with a dual fuel range. Went upscale a bit and got the GE Café series dual fuel (model C2S985SETSS) costing about $2500. I liked the warming/baking drawer in the bottom and the convection upper oven. And the center grill gets a ton of use. I'm cooking with gas now!

Roger Feeley
08-01-2014, 7:35 PM
We have a Jenn-air gas cooktop and electric oven range. It's one of those ranges with the double oven where there is a small one on top and the larger one below. Basically they got rid of that 'warming drawer' that always just seems to hold baking pans, moved the big oven down and put in a giant toaster oven. We love the double oven. We almost never use the big oven except for holidays and when I bake chili in a dutch oven (best way to do it).

The lower oven could be just a bit higher. You can put a corning ware dish in there but the lid won't fit easily.

Overall, we like the double oven with gas top. I think my next range will be the same except I want an induction cooktop for ease of cleaning.