PDA

View Full Version : Any updates from Leetro with LaserCut5.3?

Ken Shea
07-29-2014, 7:54 PM
Have had my laser for over three years now and never was able to do anything but burn wood, never was able to cut a single piece of material even very thin. Long story shot, just got fed up with it and let it set, now am wanting to give it a go again and thought if there were any updates to 5.3 this would be a good time to update.

Anyone aware if there has been

Thanks
Ken

Exlas Laser 130watt
1400mm x 1200mm

Bert Kemp
07-29-2014, 8:29 PM
I don't know Ken i think theres many people here using that software and controller ( correct me if I'm wrong) and they cut and engrave just fine.

Did you ever ask here for help to get it running right?

Ken Shea
07-29-2014, 9:00 PM
Hi Bert.
It's not a software issue, it worked well enough, just thought it would be a good time to update if it were available.
I am sure I did ask here on some things but mostly asked on the apparently now defunct "Chinese Laser Support Forum".

Thanks
Ken

Bert Kemp
07-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi Bert.
It's not a software issue, it worked well enough, just thought it would be a good time to update if it were available.
I am sure I did ask here on some things but mostly asked on the apparently now defunct "Chinese Laser Support Forum".

Thanks
KenDid I mis read your post? It sounded like you had a laser for 3 years and you could do nothing with it because of software and controller needed updates, now your saying the software worked fine so I don't understand your problem I guess

Ken Shea
07-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Bert,
You had miss read it but that can be very easy.
As mentioned, thought now that I am going to try again it would be a good time to update the software.
There is a problem for sure but my original post was not about fixing anything software or hardware related only asking if anyone knew of any updates to LaserCut5.3, apparently not so that question has been answered.

Ken

David Somers
07-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Ken,

I noticed you are in Ohio? I don't know if this would be worth it to you, but the folks at Rabbit Laser USA are over on 601 N. Verity Parkway
Middletown, OH 45042 1(513)217-5707. I doubt that is more than 150 miles from you. You might give Ray and Carole a call and see if you could pay them to give you some training time at their facility on a machine with similar power? Their machines are based on the same software you have, and for the most part a Chinese Laser is pretty much the same from one unit to the next in terms of its operation. That would probably not be too expensive to do and get you a solid start. Its a shame to have a machine like that sitting idle when you have a good resource so close. While you are there, get them to help you learn how to maintain and align the machine as well. If you drive that far to see them you may as well get well grounded. Be sure to have projects to take to them that interest you as well including some graphics files you want to work with, and any materials that interest you.

Dave

Ken Shea
07-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi Dave,
Had not thought of going there only calling them and see if they would come here to check it out, money is very tight right now and you're suggestion is a good one that I may look into. I looked into buying from them at the very first but they did not handle a machine that would take a full 48" width at that time.
I had the loading files and operation down pretty well but the thing never seemed to have any real power. Had been over the lens/mirror/material height adjustments numerous times with no success but was never really sure I was doing that correctly, finally just got so fed up with it and so thoroughly disappointed with Exlas support (or lack of, hopefully they have improved) I just quit on it. You mention "It's a shame" which is exactly my current motivation to try again to get it to work.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ken

Ken Shea
07-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Dave,
Just checked, aprox 141 miles :)

Dennis Watson
07-30-2014, 6:38 PM
What wattage is your laser and how think a material was you not able to cut thru?

Ken Shea
07-30-2014, 6:49 PM
Hi Dennis,
I posted that info in the first post but need to update my profile to include that information, think I'll do that now while thinking about it.

It is a 130 watt Reci Tube, could not cut through thin high density cardboard, maybe .030.
It did a nice job of wood burning though like I used to do in the Boy Scouts with a hot iron :D

Dennis Watson
07-30-2014, 7:02 PM
Ok, help me out here guys, What is another name for high density cardboard? Is it like masonite or is it called hardboard?

Im thinking of the stuff that Lowes sells thats brown and smooth on one side and a checker grid on the back. Also some that has a white top.

I have cut some of it 1/8" thick and engraved on it pretty good results.

This is what I am talking about.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5461/9479371214_bcb47b6b8b_o.jpg

Ken Shea
07-30-2014, 7:30 PM
It's not hardboard or Masonite, also called pressed cardboard, you have seen it on protective sheet binders.

There is another name that I can't recall.

That cut and engrave looks good!

Ken

Jackson Phillips
08-04-2014, 6:49 AM
It's not hardboard or Masonite, also called pressed cardboard, you have seen it on protective sheet binders.

There is another name that I can't recall.

That cut and engrave looks good!

Ken

Binder's Board

Vicki Rivrud
08-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Hi Bert.

Thanks
Ken

Hiya Ken,
Been awhile . . . yes the Chinese laser support forum had to be closed down because of all the spam & hacking. Pete just didn't have time to keep up with it and I got really busy too.

Leetro has come out with a new controller - no security key however it doesn't read the original .ecp files (file generated by Lasercut). Since I have files accumulated from going back to '06, I didn't upgrade. The controller is a lot like the one Marco sells. The new version of Lasercut doesn't work with the older controller cards. I now have upgraded all our computers to Win8 64 bit and the original Lasercut 5.3 is running fine.

One of the major issues of changing out the MPC6515 is the wiring - even my electrician couldn't handle upgrading the 6515 to a 6535 and I wasn't going to take the chance of too much downtime.

For someone starting out fresh or without a library of ecp files it is a better way to go.

Burnt wood and not being able to get the Chinese laser to give you good results could be an alignment issue or even a focus issue.

IMHO the auto-focus is junk so manual focus with the Chinese laser works out better. I love my 150 watt Chinese laser and have been able to produce many great projects and have many happy customers, too. The laser is from 2006 and still running just fine.

One other consideration or possibility, RECI-Laser did have a small batch of bad "W" series bulbs but I would start by re-aligning the machine first and try some basic small projects. Do you have a CW5000 refrigerated chiller? or the standard 3000? This could make a difference as well.
Hope your well . . . .
Vicki

Ken Shea
08-11-2014, 8:20 AM
Hello Vicki,

Was wondering if you would be on active here.
Am starting from scratch on everything, including new mirrors and lens, they seem to have grown some sort of stain that won't come off, at least using the First Contact cleaning system.
It has the 6535 controller on it and the CW5000 chiller.

It's more then possible that it's an alignment issue but I had spent so much time doing and re-doing that it's difficult for me to lay the blame in that direction, at least entirely.

I see there is an affordable power meter available for about a 100 bucks that may be useful in checking the tube to some degree.

If you need any wiring chased down or pics of the 6535 wiring set up let me know.

Good to hear from you.

Thanks
Ken

Vicki Rivrud
08-12-2014, 8:45 AM
Getting the machine aligned can take quite sometime initially - sometimes it takes us about an hour or so and is easier with 2 people when there is a large laser bed.
IMHO I would be sure its in the best alignment before suspecting the bulb, so its been my experience.

Great Chiller & better controller! 6535 is a good controller, shielded from static and takes the corners better. If you can send me photos of your wiring that might help. I have the Leetro schematic but there appears to be a difference between the 6515 & the 6535 and Leetro warns that a certain area if mis-wired can blow the machine.

Rabbit USA has a pdf on alignment if you need a bit more help.

Did you have any cutting time on this machine??

Best,
Vicki

Ken Shea
08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Vicki,
I had used Rabbits .pdf but it's gone so need to get it again after I search my PC to be sure it isn't there. Alignment will be is the first step now that the mirrors and lens are cleaned and rails oiled. Going to get new mirrors/lens as these are stained but not so much in the center so should be good for a test.

Was never able to cut a single thing, never, I guess if I ran it long enough it would finally had burned through thin cardboard, like cereal box stuff, forget the pressed cardboard that was tried.

Are you able to see any difference in the pink/purple glow of the tube when say using 20% power over 100%? I never could, always looked the same.
Seems I recall needing a minimum of 12-15% to get it working, from what I've read that's maybe a bit high but normal.

I'll definitely get those 6536 pics tonight for you.

Ken

Ken Shea
08-13-2014, 9:55 PM
Vicki,
Not likely going to help but you can see where wires are connected but not where they lead to.

Let me know if you think others may be of help.

Ken

Vicki Rivrud
08-19-2014, 5:28 PM
Thanks Ken, we will compare to the schematic and see where the problem of possible shorting might be. Andrew keeps warning me that If I do it incorrectly I will short out the laser.

I never run the laser any higher than 80% (the PAD is set permanently at 80% ) - when I am running at varies power settings I really don't see a color variation - just remember that you can't go too low with your power setting otherwise it will not fire at all.

The alignment pdf is still posted at Ray's site. If you can't find it let me know and I'll email it to you.

You have had you hands full! Wish I was closer so I could stop by and help.