PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames?

Per Swenson
07-04-2005, 9:28 PM
I just read the thread on Norm and was wondering.

How many of you get called that by your spouses, children.

coworkers or neighbors?

I have been called, Norm, Woody, Bob the builder,

Cabinet Boy, and my favorite, Captain Mahogany.

How about you guys? Sorry, And ladys.

Per

Todd Davidson
07-04-2005, 9:37 PM
Mostly I just get called "anal" with the added digs about building the "Todd-mahal", although I do get the "Bob the Builder" from the youngins from time to time.

Richard Wolf
07-04-2005, 9:38 PM
Bear (see avaitar)

Richard

Kelly C. Hanna
07-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Spaceman (wife says I am a space manager since I can organize anything), Woody, Rusty, Matchhead, Opey and Carrot Top to name a few...

Jim Hager
07-04-2005, 10:19 PM
I am called "Bonyfingers" by those in my family that get to hear the fussin about me having to work "all the time"

Steve Wargo
07-04-2005, 11:16 PM
My co-workers at the day job, and some of the neighbors affectionately call me "termite". Never should have let my wife see me sniffing the lumber.

Chris Padilla
07-04-2005, 11:23 PM
My mother calls me Norm at times...my wife, who is from Europe, just calls me her own special pet names but rarely by my birth name!

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2005, 12:45 AM
I have never really had one until last week. Dale Thompson called me Bluffsman :) I like it, has that outdoorsey/historical sound to it :)

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2005, 2:38 AM
Don't really have any woodworking-related handles, but a lot of people call me by my first initial - V. The LOML calls me Sweetie, my father calls me The Hippie, and the dogs call me Dad. In years past, I was Vaughnus Uponus, not to be confused with Fungus Among Us.

Most of the rest of what I've been called isn't allowed here on SMC. ;)

- Vaughn

Todd Burch
07-05-2005, 7:47 AM
I typically get "MacGyver".

Chris Barton
07-05-2005, 7:51 AM
My wife has a number of names she likes to call me but, probably shouldn't be in print. They contain words like wipe, and hole...

Chris

Steve Ash
07-05-2005, 7:52 AM
Mine would be "Ashman"....I guess it's better than the names my brothers picked out for me at birth, they told my mom to name me Jack or Harry....can you imagine the nicknames I would have then be called.:D

Dino Makropoulos
07-05-2005, 8:02 AM
The latest. :cool:

Archimedes :D
EZ Dino :confused:

Wes Newman
07-05-2005, 8:16 AM
I've been dubbed "Jr." at work.

Keith Starosta
07-05-2005, 8:16 AM
Mine would be "Ashman"....I guess it's better than the names my brothers picked out for me at birth, they told my mom to name me Jack or Harry....can you imagine the nicknames I would have then be called.:D

LOL!! Jack Ash......I kinda like it!! Thanks for that laugh......Ashman! :D

Jeff Sudmeier
07-05-2005, 8:36 AM
I have been Called Norm (A compliment I thought) and Bob Villa (Didn't like that one :) )

My real nickname is Suds or Sudsy, depending on who is talking to me. I think ya all can figure out where those came from.

Lee DeRaud
07-05-2005, 9:19 AM
I've been dubbed "Jr." at work.We just got a high-school senior summer intern who insists on calling me "sir"...that is Just Not Right.:eek:

Jim Dannels
07-05-2005, 9:20 AM
Most not fit for publishing:D

Probably the only one woodworking related that is fit is"Handy Dan".

larry merlau
07-05-2005, 9:56 AM
my huntin and fishin buddies call me griz, my boss calls me merly or griz and have some salesmen that call me thatas well. as for the wood side, i have been called norm by the other half and have called the other half mrs norm in reply back. mainly cause i like plaid. as for the "ashman' he is sorta of a jack of all trades, so jack woulda fit :D but i wont call hm that to his faces he's one mean fella :eek:

Bill Grumbine
07-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I've been called many things by many people over the year, Bear, Tank, Moose, Gentle Giant, etc, etc, but the one that has been used the most and the one that pops up from people who do not even know one another is Mr. Bill.

Bill

Michael Gibbons
07-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Call me anything you want except "Late for Dinner".:rolleyes:

Mark Valsi
07-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Since I started woodworking, a few of my buddies call me 'GEPPETTO' !

and then there are the usual derogatory names which cause my self esteem to crumble in the dust :p

Christian Aufreiter
07-05-2005, 2:22 PM
My younger brother created a bunch of nick names for me. But only "insiders" can understand them.

Regards,

Christian

Ken Salisbury
07-05-2005, 7:05 PM
Just "Coach" by all those who know me well.

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2005, 7:11 PM
If any of you remember the 60's scifi cartoon Johnny Quest.... wel then you will understand this. My brothers call me Dr. Quest.. they think I look like him with my white bear, glasses etc. SAid if I had a white lab coat that would be me!

Corey

James Boster
07-06-2005, 2:59 AM
I've been dubbed with the name "woodhick" which is what all of the old-time sawmillers and cabinetmakers in this area were called years ago. Hence my login name on other sites and e-mail address are all woodhick.

Kevin Beck
07-06-2005, 8:33 AM
I hear "Big Guy" a lot. I have never figured out why someone would call a big guy "Big Guy" but it doesn't bother me. I guess they just haven't ran into a grumpy big guy yet?

My grandfather always called my brother and I tiger because he couldn't tell us apart. In his later years when we saw him he would always say "Now, which tiger are you?".

He was a remarkable and interesting man, sure do miss him.

Kevin

James Mudler
07-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I am called "MUD" by many.

Jay Kilpatrick
07-06-2005, 4:52 PM
Jaybird, Ed, Hubby, "K", Killer, Kill (last two were from Dad; found memories or picking up the phone and hearing, "Kill, this is Kill...") FTD, and last but not least Bluedick (from my Pappaw, I think its a term of endearment from his Kentucky/Hillbilly roots...but I'll never know.)