PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Tool Purchase

Mike Henderson
07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Okay, I have an unusual situation. I won a $300 store credit at Capistrano Hardwoods. My problem is that they're a long drive from me so I want to make one trip and use the whole $300. The only tools they carry are the Fein line.

What tool in that line would you recommend I buy that would be close to $300? A bit over $300 would be ideal. I have an oscillating cutter (not the Fein MultiMaster but I seldom use it), and I have portable drills and drivers. How about the Fein vacuum? Anyone have any comments on that?

I won this for my entry in the OC Fair. They used to give the Industry Awards in cash but now give them in store credit which makes it a problem. I guess another alternative would be for me to try to sell the credit - which I expect will be in the form of a gift card. Or buy the MultiMaster and sell it on eBay.

Mike

Sam Beagle
07-29-2014, 12:27 PM
Fein makes a nice 6" sander, I have a few of them. Check them out. They are over 300 for sure

Mike Henderson
07-29-2014, 1:15 PM
Fein makes a nice 6" sander, I have a few of them. Check them out. They are over 300 for sure
Thanks, Sam. 6" is a bit larger than I'd use. If they made a 5" I'd be interested in that. For a lot of the work I do a 6" sander would be a bit big.

Mike

Reinis Kanders
07-29-2014, 1:24 PM
Their vacuum is nice. I have the smaller one (Turbo I) connected to the dust deputy and it works well and is relatively quiet and small. It replaced Rigid 12 Gallon one that worked fine, but always sounded like it is about to die (even when brand new). Turbo I is about $300.

Reinis

Rich Enders
07-29-2014, 3:15 PM
+1 on the Fein vacuum.

I still have one from about 10-15 years ago. I bought it to replace a Sears Shop Vac, and the quiet was (and is still) refreshing. I don't know what a Turbo 1 is; mine is called a 9.55.13. Anyway you want to spend $300 so they must have something in that category, or accessories to get you there. It is not a very powerful vacuum, but it has the correct sound level for me.

It is well built, the wheels don't bind, the hose has lasted, and it has one of those aux sockets so you can plug in your ROS and the vac starts when you turn on the sander....

Bruce Page
07-29-2014, 3:17 PM
I've been very happy with my Fein vac.

Steve Roxberg
07-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a Fein Vac and bought one for my father in law. I also own a Festool Vac and I like the Fein better.

They make great vac's and you shouldn't have any problem spending the $300 dollars, and even a bit more.

Mike Heidrick
07-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Buy Fein mutitool or vac and flip it and buy what you want.

Bill Neely
07-29-2014, 10:26 PM
I have a Fein vac too, FYI they all have auto start to use with sanders and other power tools.

Wade Lippman
07-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Why not take $300 of wood instead of a tool you don't want? (I assume from the name that they sell wood...)

Mike Henderson
07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Why not take $300 of wood instead of a tool you don't want? (I assume from the name that they sell wood...)
A few problems with buying wood from them: (1) they're quite some distance from me and I only have an SUV to haul the wood, (2) I don't have a lot of storage space, and (3) I don't know what projects I'll be doing in the future and what wood I'll need.

I did think about that but it wouldn't be my first choice. Before I do that, I'd buy some tool and sell it "new" to get most of the money - then I'd buy wood when I need it from my local supplier (I get a discount from my local supplier).

Looks like the Fein vac is my best choice so far. I have a Ridgid vac that I use now with my tools - I set up a sensor so it turns on when I turn the tool on, and I can adjust the speed - but it's loud. Hopefully, the Fein vac is quieter.

I'll look around when I go there but since they only carry Fein tools, I pretty much know what my options will be as far as tools are concerned.

Mike

Mike Henderson
07-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Buy Fein mutitool or vac and flip it and buy what you want.
Yep, that's one of my options. I'll see what they have and make a decision. The Fein MultiMaster kit is about $300. If I flip it I should be able to net $250 to maybe $275. I'd be happy with that.

Mike

Keith Weber
07-29-2014, 11:54 PM
I'd buy the Multimaster. I don't have one yet, but about once a week I come across a situation where I really wish I had one.

Mike Henderson
07-30-2014, 12:09 AM
I'd buy the Multimaster. I don't have one yet, but about once a week I come across a situation where I really wish I had one.
I already have another brand of oscillating tool and I don't use it very much. Maybe a couple of times a year. I don't want to put $300 into a tool I use that little and to replace an equivalent one I already have.

BTW, you can try an oscillating tool for little money. Harbor Freight has one for so little money that it's almost a disposable tool. I don't remember the price but I think the single speed one was less than $20. Buy one and see if you like it and use it. If so, you can upgrade to a MulitMaster later.

Yep, just went and looked. See here (http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68861-8493.html). About $20.

Mike

Shawn Pixley
07-30-2014, 12:35 AM
Mike,

I certainly understand your predicament and it's your call, but I'd treat this as found money. If there is no tool that you want or need there, buy wood that you normally wouldn't buy like ebony, bubinga, etc... Three hundred dollars really doesn't buy a lot of board feet of the exotics. This wood wouldn't take up much space and it might inspire you to try something new in the way of projects.

Kent A Bathurst
07-30-2014, 3:30 PM
Their vacuum is nice. I have the smaller one (Turbo I)

12 year-old T-3.

Connected via overhead hose to ROS, belt sander, and routers, as I use them on the workbench.

Would not change a thing, if I ever had a do-over.

Love it.

Jim Neeley
07-30-2014, 4:23 PM
Mike,

If you're tired of blowing sawdust b**gers, consider getting the HEPA model (or the HEPA upgrade kit) for the Fein vacuum.

Like the Festool I own there is a pre-bag that captures most of the dust (and chuncks) so it doesn't clog up the HEPA filter.

I started out adding a HEPA filter to my old craftsman vac but it would quickly drop in suction due to filter clogging.

Besides, it's nice to hear yourself think when you need the noisy beasts. :-)

New vacuum = no kleenex needed.. which can't help but be good for your health!!

Jim

Bill Neely
07-30-2014, 6:33 PM
FYI you can buy HEPA filters for the Fein at a reasonable price > Gore Cleanstream. The Turbo Vacs are much quieter than Ridgid and also have variable speed.

Robert Parent
07-31-2014, 4:44 PM
The multitool or vac would be my choice..... They are both nice tools. IF you are going to resell then I would opt for the vac.

Robert

Mike Henderson
08-08-2014, 1:53 PM
I bought the portable Fein MulitMaster and drill combo (http://www.amazon.com/Fein-71900561090-Renovation-Professional-Set/dp/B00IDEH5TE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407520520&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=COMBO+ASB+14+-+AFMM+14%2C+FEIN+CORDLESS+DRILL%2FDRIVER+%26+MULTI MASTER). (http://www.amazon.com/Fein-71900561090-Renovation-Professional-Set/dp/B00IDEH5TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407520604&sr=8-1&keywords=FEIN+professional+set) I paid $399 for it and will list it in the classified soon. So if you're interested, keep an eye out for the posting in the classified.

I already have an oscillating tool and a number of drill/drivers so I really don't need it. The portable oscillating tool would be nice but it's not a tool that I use a lot.

Mike