PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some time to Turn

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-04-2005, 8:51 PM
With all that's been going on, I haven't been able to take any time turning. What with repairs from the flood and the eye surgery, I was kept busy and unable to be around wood dust for several weeks.

Last weekend, I did a pen making demonstration at one of our local farmer's markets. Between talking the folks, I got six pens turned.

I know, I know......There are only five here. The Sassafrass pen lasted all of five minutes before someone bought it.
They are, top to bottom: Brazillizn Cherry, Mahogany from Grenada, Box Elder, Curly Maple and VERA from Aruba.

I actually got into the shop tonight and thought I'd try one of Richard Raffin's boxes. I modified it a little.

It is 3" tall, 2-1/4" Diameter, Walls 1/8" thick, and overlapping flanges are 1/16". ( the lid "Snaps closed", too!) Almost forgot to mention, it's Cherry.
Hope you like it.

Thanks for lookin'.

Bruce
[wink]

Chris Barton
07-04-2005, 8:55 PM
Hiya Bruce<

great work! I like the pens and the lidded box is exceptional! What kind of finish are you using?

Chris

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-04-2005, 9:09 PM
The finish is:

Parifin oil rubbed in while the lathe is turning at 4000 rpm, then wiped off, followed by four coats of French polish. The pens also have a light coat of Briwax.

Bruce

Chris Barton
07-04-2005, 9:59 PM
Hi Bruce,

I am going to try your finishing technique on my next run of pens. Great idea!

Chris

John Hart
07-05-2005, 7:38 AM
Glad to see you're back in the groove Bruce. They all look great. I guess you gots some catchin' up to do!

Ernie Nyvall
07-05-2005, 6:14 PM
Hey Bruce, glad you're back in the shop... guess everything went well with the surgery.
As usual, great looking pens and that box is really something.

Ernie