PDA

View Full Version : A couple of bowls (pics)

Bill Grumbine
05-24-2003, 4:49 PM
Greetings all

Just in case some of you might have thought I gave up the lathe or something, I thought I'd post a couple of recent efforts. As usual, nothing spectacular, just simple functional pieces.

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/cherry01052403.jpg

This is a small cherry bowl turned from a log I harvested with Dominic Greco last year. This stuff has very pretty grain. If you could see inside, you would see some curly grain along the bottom.

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/cherry02052403.jpg

Here's a shot looking down inside, but you still can't see the curl. You'll have to take my word for it.;) This bowl is seriously chunky, with a wall thickness of approximately 1/2". Overall dimensions are 9 1/2" x 3 1/2".

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/maple01052403.jpg

This one here is maple, and is the antithesis of the last one. The shape is inverted, and it is thin - so thin one may see light through the side when held up to the light. It is approximately 10" in diameter and 2 3/8" high, with a wall thickness of approximately 1/16".:eek:

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/maple02052403.jpg

Here's a shot at the inside. There ain't a whole lot going on with the grain, so this one is dependent on form alone.

I turned both of these to serve in my demo at Syracuse last week, when I discussed different styles and different uses (or tried to, anyway). I have some furniture to build, and then I need to get back to a) turning some bigger bowls, and b) building a better light tent. The one I slapped together for these pics is just a bit too small for these bowls, and I have some biggies coming up.

Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-24-2003, 5:06 PM
Really beautiful bowls Bill! The Cherry is a very nice piece of wood, lots of character, and the finish is spectacular. The Maple bowl is beyond words....................it looks like it belongs in an Art Exhibit! Outstanding results. It never fails to amaze me the beautiful and functional objects you "Turner Guys" create. I guess I am going to have to get a Lathe one of these days, and see just how many chunks of wood I can screw up trying to get something to look that good. ;) Thanks for sharing the pictures..........you definitely have mastered that spinning machine! :D

Jim Becker
05-24-2003, 5:13 PM
Veddy, veddy nice, Mr Grumbine. Nice, indeed!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
05-24-2003, 5:41 PM
imitation is the greatest form of flattery ... or something like that. I like the ring around the cherry bowl and the shape of the maple one. I have a 12" X 2" figured maple piece I'll turn this weekend, and I want to try to imitate the one you made. I like the flowing design and the lightness. Thanks for some good stuff, as always.

Von Bickley
05-24-2003, 5:42 PM
Bill,

Great looking work as usual. Thanks for letting us see the bowls.

Tom Sweeney
05-24-2003, 6:10 PM
You're starting to get the hang of this wood turning thing aren't you :D

As usual - beeautiful work !

Phil Phelps
05-24-2003, 6:32 PM
....but I think the photography is up a few notches :p Great stuff, as always.

Mark Hulette
05-24-2003, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by Bill Grumbine
This bowl is seriously chunky, with a wall thickness of approximately 1/2".

Bill, that 1/2" "chunky" to you is "wafer thin" to my skills!!
:D

Nice work, as always and glad you didn't forget where you put the Poolewood (since it's been so long) :eek:

Terry Quiram
05-25-2003, 9:02 AM
Hello Bill

No lemming comment here? You can see that I spelled it correctly this time. I need a lesson. How do you turn so thin without the bowl flappin in the wind and creating all kinds of chatter?

Thanks
Terry

Bill Grumbine
05-26-2003, 6:19 PM
Thanks guys, for the compliments. I appreciate your thoughts and observations.

Phil, I am working real hard at the photography thing, thanks for noticing. I'm still fiddling around with a light tent, and I think I am going to break down and buy a grey background, but one of my biggest problems is coming up with a way (or better, a place) to set up for good pictures without a bunch of fussing around.

Terry, the lemming comment was for everyone posting one shot posts over on the other place. :) The trick for turning a very thin bowl is to get it finished in stages. Turn the outside, the flip it aorund, and turn the first inch of the inside down to the final thickness. Then move on to the next inch, and so on. This is a one way trip though. You can't go back to try and clean up something you might have missed, or aren't satisfied with. Well, you can, but it usually leads to disaster.;) As far as a lesson goes, we can arrange that.:cool:

Bill

Ken Garlock
05-26-2003, 8:23 PM
Bill, have you ever had occasion to turn something from alabaster? One morning last year I was watching the Lynette Jennings program on the Discovery channel. She was visiting Tuscany and toured a shop where they were turning lamp shades out of solid alabaster. You could see your hand through the shade. It impressed me, but I don't even know which end of the gouge to pick up;)

As always, your work is outstanding.

Jim Becker
05-26-2003, 8:26 PM
Originally posted by Ken Garlock
...have you ever had occasion to turn something from alabaster?

I good friend of mine in Colorado has turned some alabaster and talc and the resulting vessels are quite impressive. He only did small pieces, but said it cut quite easily.