PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor machine nameplate material ?

Steve Ducote
07-28-2014, 4:22 PM
I need some advice please,

I need to produce various control nameplates for machines that will be outdoors all the time, such as "Start" "Run" "Off" etc.

They need to be black with white lettering and I would like to use laminated plastic substrate about 1/8" thick, they will be pop riveted onto panels.

I can either laser engrave or CNC router them.

What type/brand substrate would be recommended for this outdoor application ?

Thanks for any advice/help !

John Noell
07-28-2014, 5:31 PM
Plastics from Rowmark wil do the job, but(!) plastic is pretty easy to scratch up. Black anodized aluminum engraves near white and is much tougher stuff. The blanks from Chewbarka are pretty nice.

Pete Simmons
07-28-2014, 5:38 PM
LaserMax - I have some swimming pool signs made from it that have been in the Florida sun for almost 10 years and they still look like the day they were made.

Yes plastic will scratch but so will anodized aluminum. In fact I bet the lasermax would scratch less than anodized aluminum.

Ross Moshinsky
07-28-2014, 5:42 PM
Plastic. Frankly, I'm not even sure you need to go with 1/8". 1/16" will most likely be more than sufficient.

Steve Ducote
07-28-2014, 6:05 PM
Thanks guys!

So this: http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/LM922402 is what you recommend ?

Any other suppliers recommended ?

Bill Stearns
07-28-2014, 6:35 PM
Steve 'n All -
I have successfully used 1/16" Rowmark Lasermax plastics outdoors - this one pictured has been hanging on a fence for 'least three years - still looks fine and customer still pleased. If fingerprints or scratches are a concern you may look at their 800 series textured plastic - black/white. I'd sure run a test first using the riveting process - keeping the holes well away from the corners.

Bill

John Noell
07-28-2014, 6:56 PM
I've got Lasermax that's been in the Fiji sun for about 8 years. You can see they have weathered a bit but not enought to replace (and they are directional signs for a high-end pearl jewelry store). Yes, it is good stuff. But I'll take the bet that Rowmark acrylic scatches more easily than Chewbarka's anodized!! (I've already done the comparison myself. Is that cheating?) :)

Kev Williams
07-28-2014, 7:51 PM
Rowmark, IDI, New Hermes, any of their UV stable material will work. If you want REALLY scratch resistant, get the non-laserable stuff like Rowmark Ultramatte and tool engrave it.

(Actually, you CAN laser Ultramatte--with a lotta heat and patience!)

vic casware
07-28-2014, 8:15 PM
We use DuraBlack laserable Aluminum, i think its made by Horizons incorporated in Ohio, Impressive outdoor specs

Mike Null
07-29-2014, 7:38 AM
The stuff made by Horizons is called Alumamark and it is not UV stable.

Bert Kemp
07-29-2014, 8:41 AM
The stuff made by Horizons is called Alumamark and it is not UV stable.Not to cause an argument but it is called Durablack and it is uv stable at least according to their spec's293916

Wes Mitchell
07-29-2014, 9:20 AM
Not to cause an argument but it is called Durablack and it is uv stable at least according to their spec's293916

Horizons makes both Alumamark AND Durablack. Durablack is UV stable (and very rugged), Alumamark is not.

Wes
JP

Mike Null
07-29-2014, 9:58 AM
Bert and Wes

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't used Durablack and wasn't aware it was a Horizons product.

Richard Rumancik
07-29-2014, 11:21 PM
. . . I have successfully used 1/16" Rowmark Lasermax plastics outdoors - this one pictured has been hanging on a fence for 'least three years - still looks fine and customer still pleased. . . .

And if they ever need a new one . . . i before e except after c. :)

Tony Lenkic
07-30-2014, 7:42 AM
I agree with Ross.....1/8" is overkill for the application.
In addition to Lasermax you can look at Rowmark texture series.

Have s here work or tested this Tesa produce?
http://www.tesa.com/industry/products/tesa_6930_laserlabel,i.html

Bill Stearns
07-30-2014, 9:45 AM
RICHARD - And if they ever need a new one . . . i before e except after c. :)
Boy! you must have eagle eyes! I'll have to trash that picture with the misspelling of "receive". BTW: that error was caught 'n corrected 'fore the sign was delivered to the customer; thank Heavens. I won't be using that photo 'gain for any purpose. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Bill

Steve Ducote
07-30-2014, 6:01 PM
Thanks for all the help and info ! I'm going to go with LaserMax 1/8". The customer supplied detail drawings for all nameplates required and specifies 1/8" thick, black with white letters.

The holes are centered on each side and not in each corner. I plan to CNC router engrave them rather than laser.

Thanks very much again

http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/LM942402

Bill Stearns
07-31-2014, 9:43 AM
Steve 'n All -
Depending upon the size 'n length of your signage - you may want' a consider more mounting holes. ? ''Though I get the idea yours won't be very large. While the UV Lasermax materials hold up well in sunlight, I have had outdoor signs warp occasionally; a bow to the sign - 'cause of heat, I'm sure. So, I've gotten in the practice of using more holes. Anybody else have this warping experience? (adding this: I'm talking 'bout having used the 1/16" thick; the 1/8" is sure to help.)

Bill

stan kern
07-31-2014, 11:30 AM
how about these -- aluminum and hard board

Bill Cunningham
08-05-2014, 9:04 AM
The stuff made by Horizons is called Alumamark and it is not UV stable. It is if you give it a spray coat of Krylon UV spray. I earlier posted a test piece that sat on the top of my shed in the sun for a year with no fading of the coated side at all.

Mike Null
08-05-2014, 9:36 AM
Bill

The spray may well solve the problem but I have had a costly UV issue with this material and have chosen not to use it again. I haven't tried Durablack.