PDA

View Full Version : Would it have killed ya to throw in the shipping?

Joe Bailey
07-28-2014, 2:17 PM
Can't make this stuff up.
My explanation is that this was the actual vise used by Chris Schwarz when he was in high school.

Bruce Page
07-28-2014, 2:30 PM
Shipping's gone up to $29.79. Better snatch it up before it goes even higher!

Joe Bailey
07-28-2014, 2:32 PM
Bruce,
I believe the explanation for the discrepancy in shipping costs is geographical -- the page calculates it based on your location.

Bruce Page
07-28-2014, 2:35 PM
I think you’re right. Too bad, it priced me right out of the equation.

David Weaver
07-28-2014, 2:36 PM
Someone probably lost track of a decimal place and then didn't re-read their entry. They may also have an entry that they screwed up the quantity on and just blew the price up to the sky to avoid having to do anything about it.

Last year, I sold an escher stone on ebay. I sold it for $350, and I didn't proof-read my auction that well and somehow got quantity of two. I only had one, and the first one sold pretty quickly. I couldn't figure out how to cancel the auction quickly on ebay so I revised it so that the BIN price on the second was $3,000. It instantly became the topic of the hour on the razor boards because people there, for some reason, think they're always right around the corner from finding an escher for a few cents and nabbing it quickly. They were so offended by my "price" on an item that didn't exist that they got completely carried away and started dogpiling (which I let go for a while).

David Barnett
07-28-2014, 3:29 PM
Someone probably lost track of a decimal place and then didn't re-read their entry. They may also have an entry that they screwed up the quantity on and just blew the price up to the sky to avoid having to do anything about it.

Yeah, but this seller's, dmt_supply's, default asking price is $5,000.00, so... better snatch it up before someone else figures out that Schwarz might've gone to the same high school, used it, blessed it, whatever.

David Weaver
07-28-2014, 3:40 PM
Jeez...I think they may have misunderstood how likely people are to make an offer on something that's listed over final sale price by a factor of 50.

Tony Zaffuto
07-28-2014, 3:50 PM
Did you get any ticklers on the $3,000 price?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-28-2014, 5:22 PM
In this case, on eBay, it's probably a mistake, but on Amazon, you'll often see ridiculous prices like this that end up being caused by algorithmic pricing watching competitors going awry. It can be pretty funny: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

David Barnett
07-28-2014, 5:39 PM
In this case, on eBay, it's probably a mistake, but on Amazon, you'll often see ridiculous prices like this that end up being caused by algorithmic pricing watching competitors going awry. It can be pretty funny: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Either way, dmt_supply's pricing isn't all that out of line. They offer a pair of used tweezers for $225, but it might be so affordably priced because he has five of them. Maybe one could pick 'em up for $1000.00 for the five! Bulk pricing!

In fairness, dmt_supply's prices have been lowered from earlier today to more reasonable levels. His Zeiss OPMI surgical microscope is priced attractively, indeed. Could well have been a mistake or a procedural issue as most items when I posted earlier were $5,000.00.

Moses Yoder
07-28-2014, 5:52 PM
I think this was done intentionally to gain views. After laughing at it, most people are bound to look at the other items the seller has for sell and there is bound to be one person that really wants it and will offer a hundred bucks or whatever, sold.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-28-2014, 9:56 PM
It appears to be gone now. Did you buy it? :-)

Well this looks like a good place to post an eBay gloat. Buy it now $175 for the pair. Yes, that would be rosewood handles there. It pays to watch.