PDA

View Full Version : Robt Sorby Kangaroo mark -

Michael Ray Smith
07-27-2014, 12:51 PM
I have a pigsticker with the Sorby kangaroo trademark over Robt Sorby/Sheffield. Just out of curiosity I thought I'd try to figure out when it might have been made, but doing some quick Googling I couldn't find any information about the dates that mark was used. Does anyone happen to know?

Jim Koepke
07-27-2014, 1:57 PM
It appears the trademark was used into the 1980's:

In the case of Robert Sorby and Sons the factory was known as Kangaroo Works. The kangaroo itself was one of a number of registered trade marks used extensively until the 1980's.

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/companyinfo.htm

There used to be a website with British trademark registration history. It come up with a 404 error now.

jtk

george wilson
07-27-2014, 9:33 PM
I'm sure it was used at least till the 1980's. I have a Sorby chisel with a colorful Kangaroo decal still on its handle. Can't be too old. It's not worn off!!

Michael Ray Smith
07-28-2014, 6:50 PM
Thanks. The reason I was curious is the chisel doesn't really look very old, despite a shop-made (more like homemade) handle.

Winton Applegate
07-29-2014, 1:08 AM
I get kind of silly some times with stick on labels that I like.
I decoupage them on under a ton of PolyU or varnish. Just in the area of the sticker, not the entire tool.

If you look super close at the photos you will see a bit of yellowing of the wood around the stickers.