PDA

View Full Version : how to install new grinding wheel...

Pat Salter
07-04-2005, 5:50 PM
I finally got a new finer grit wheel for my VERY old bench grinder.

The problem is that now the "bench" grinder has become a "jitterbug" grinder :D and let me tell you, she can dance!!! :eek: It also takes several minutes for it to stop after shutting off and sounds like an out of balance washing machine.

I have tried using a "dresser", I have the star type. I haven't noticed a big differance. So I guess what I'm saying is....

HELP!!!

Any sugguestions? short of buying a whole new bench grinder?

Bill Esposito
07-04-2005, 6:14 PM
Short of buying the Oneway wheel balancer, loosen the nut and rotate the wheel 90° and then tighten it and try again. If that doesnt help, try it again. Often moving the wheel around the axis will balance it somewhat.

Mark Singer
07-04-2005, 6:56 PM
On most you wedge under the other wheel to hold it to loosen the nut....kinda like a tablesaw blade removal..

Richard Wolf
07-04-2005, 7:52 PM
Are you sure the hole is not oversize? It may not be centered on the arbor. You may need a bushing to make the wheel fit properly.

Richard

Chris Barton
07-04-2005, 8:44 PM
I think Rich has hit it on the head. Look at the fitting to the arbor and see if there is excessive slack. If so, you will need some sort of bushing.

Chris

Pat Salter
07-04-2005, 9:13 PM
The wheel I bought had several bushings on it for differant size shafts, I used the right one so I don't think that's the problem, I'll try that 90 degree thing.

thanks guys

Dan Forman
07-05-2005, 2:52 AM
I had a similar problem recently, ordered the Oneway wheel balancer from Lee Valley, and it cleared up 95% of the jitters. There is still the slightest noticable side to side wobble, but it no longer hops around and makes unpleasant noises. The kit gives you material to balance two wheels, nice stout aluminum bushings. One the wheel is balanced, you can remove it from the grinder if need be without having to rebalance, so long as you leave it on the bushing.

My understanding is that it is not so much a matter of being out of round, but there is variation of density of the material itself, which causes the wheel to be unbalanced. Dressing the wheel won't really solve that issue, although once it is balanced, you should redress it, since you probably didn't get a very good surface when it was dancing about for you.

Dan

Norman Hitt
07-05-2005, 4:42 AM
I wonder why someone hasn't come out with an Automatic grinding wheel balancer similar to the one for big Truck wheels. It is essentially like a medium sized hubcap that has steel balls that can run around in a cavity close to the outside of the rim of the unit and somehow they go to the right spots to null out any out of balance situation. I drove a couple of trucks before and after they were installed, and they really worked great. The neat thing about this design is that you can remove them and use them over and over again, and would probably last forever under normal use.

Tyler Howell
07-05-2005, 8:14 AM
Dressing up the business end of (even a new) grinding wheel can smooth out the operation. A carbide dressing tool will do the trick.

Charles Bjorgen
07-05-2005, 10:43 AM
I agree with all of the above suggestions from repositioning the wheel on the spindle to dressing it. Most wheels I've installed required some dressing and some have required a lot. Try this: once the wheel is installed, turn the grinder on and off. While the motor is winding down, lightly touch a pencil point to about three points on the wheel's cutting surface. The pencil marks will reveal the high spots. With a dressing tool--I prefer the T-shaped diamond dressers--LIGHTLY dress the wheel untill the pencil marks are gone. Apply the pencil again and repeat until you get a more or less continuous pencil line around the the wheel.

This can also be a nice maintenance routine to follow as you use the wheels. They can become out of round as you use them.