PDA

View Full Version : Ebony / Were to Buy?

richard poitras
07-27-2014, 10:11 AM
I am taking a class at Mark Adams School of WoodWorking in the near future and one of the things on the material list is some all black ebony. Where are you guys buying your ebony from or can you recommend a good place to get some from.

Thanks Richard

lowell holmes
07-27-2014, 10:54 AM
I bought some from Woodcraft. I don't know your location, but I've seen it at Houston Hardwoods.

Bill McNiel
07-27-2014, 1:06 PM
Small pieces at Woodcraft. Larger, real boards at one of the two local hardwood supliers.

scott vroom
07-27-2014, 1:28 PM
Did you check with your local hardwood supplier? Did you try Google?

Loren Woirhaye
07-27-2014, 1:30 PM
I've bought it from Isenbrand. Be warned though that the color is something they may or may not be willing to help you with.

You can get ebony fingerboards graded for color from Luthiers Mercatile. They will get it right for color within the range of dimensioned boards they can sell you.

Wade Lippman
07-27-2014, 1:35 PM
You can buy it almost anywhere. Not disclosing your location really reduces anyone's chances of helping you.

Mike Henderson
07-27-2014, 1:53 PM
I can buy it from my local hardwood supplier. Where are you located?

It's VERY expensive. If I recall, last time I looked, it was about $64/board foot.

Mike

glenn bradley
07-27-2014, 2:47 PM
As others do I get gaboon at my local yard in small billets of 1x2x12 inches or 2x2x24 inches. You don't say where you are but, Exotic Tropical Hardwoods in Carlsbad, CA has the largest chunks I have seen locally. They carry gaboon, macasar and some 'black and white' (or 'pale moon'). You can get pieces roughly 4" x 6" X 36". Many smaller and a few larger.

richard poitras
07-27-2014, 4:35 PM
Sorry guys I am in central Michigan. I have not looked locallyI just figured I would have to go mail order. The project list states one piece at 1’’ x 4’’ x 24’’ As it’s for making strips that will go around a small box.

Richard

John T Barker
07-27-2014, 4:39 PM
http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/order_Gabon_ebony.htm

Does that fall under the category of letmegooglethatforyou?

Sid Matheny
07-27-2014, 4:55 PM
Yes anyone can google for it but he ask for someone recommending a place they liked or used.

Sid

Jerry Wright
07-27-2014, 5:20 PM
I have had good luck with Righteous Hardwoods in eastern MA on ebony and pink ivory. Call them - they are a friendly place. Their site is righteoushardwoods.com
Last time I paid something like $20 for 2x2x12 inch dimension.

richard poitras
07-27-2014, 5:22 PM
Yes anyone can google for it but he ask for someone recommending a place they liked or used.

Sid

Thanks Sid ......

Larry Edgerton
07-27-2014, 5:58 PM
Johnsons Hardwood in Charlotte had some the last time I was there. They will ship.

Larry

Kent A Bathurst
07-27-2014, 6:05 PM
...... a good place to get some from.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/items_new.php?species=Ebony

Read and drool.

Myk Rian
07-27-2014, 6:08 PM
Central Michigan covers a lot of area. Armstrong on M59 might have some.

richard poitras
07-27-2014, 6:48 PM
Saginaw Mich 2 hours north of Detrot

Moses Yoder
07-27-2014, 7:17 PM
Johnsons Hardwood in Charlotte had some the last time I was there. They will ship.

Larry

What he said.

Larry Frank
07-27-2014, 8:57 PM
I needed some smaller pieces and bought one that was 1" x 2" x 18" and got it on ebay. It was a reasonable price and the ad showed a picture of the piece that I bought.

Jason White
07-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Some Rockler stores have small quantities on hand. We have it at the store in Pasadena, CA. Not cheap, though.

I am taking a class at Mark Adams School of WoodWorking in the near future and one of the things on the material list is some all black ebony. Where are you guys buying your ebony from or can you recommend a good place to get some from.

Thanks Richard

Brian Tymchak
07-28-2014, 8:25 AM
Sorry guys I am in central Michigan. I have not looked locallyI just figured I would have to go mail order. The project list states one piece at 1’’ x 4’’ x 24’’ As it’s for making strips that will go around a small box.

Richard

Sounds like you want dry stock for that project. A lot of what I see at Woodcraft is waxed, which means it might be too wet for finish work.

Larry Frank
07-28-2014, 8:29 PM
I think that most of the pieces of ebony that I have seen are waxed. The piece that got was waxed and I used a scrapper to clean it off. It was interesting working with the ebony. It cut easily but seemed fragile and would break at times. I do not know if it was the pieces that I got or this is typical with it.

Andrew Hughes
07-28-2014, 9:23 PM
I like ebony also,the real black stuff gaboon ebony has the best color.I wonder if sometime the grain direction get away from some woodworker and that's why it's called brittle.Its defiantly hard to work and easy to lose a corner.Aj