PDA

View Full Version : Badge (label pins) color filling paint?

Balsanu Gabi
07-26-2014, 9:22 PM
Hi to all,

I am working on a project which involve:
- acid etched aluminium cca 0.3mm from a 2mm thick sheet;
- multi colors;
- outside exposure.
I need to know:
- what kind of paint they use to fill up that little space from a badge;
- source in the UK or Europe;
- that paint is water and UV resistent.

For clarification view this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ1aIobPxvg

Thank you for youre time
GB

Mark Sipes
07-26-2014, 9:33 PM
Enamel or epoxy paints,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n7FS-0OwKH4&list=PLEC384FCB03BE4907

Dan Hintz
07-27-2014, 7:54 AM
If you're talking about the badge pins you'd see with (for example) emergency services (fire, police, etc.), in other words a high-end pin, that would be enameling.

Michael Hunter
07-27-2014, 8:36 AM
I don't think that real enamelling (melted glass) will work on aluminium.

Depending on the price/value of the job, I'd look at -

Rustin's "Small Job" paint - a high quality oil paint available from hardware shops in sensibly sized cans and a good range of bright colours.

One- or two-part epoxy paint from a yachting chandlers. Very permanent, but also very expensive!

Balsanu Gabi
07-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi,

Thank you all for youre replies.
Mark - I will look on that paints.
Dan - enameling an aluminium is not possible because of the difference between firing temperature. Aluminium will melt before enameling to cure (850-900 C).
Michael - I will have a look on that.
Until now I find a low temperature enamel (which is cured at 150C). That is basically a resin. I ordered some for further test.
I also try the powder coating powder and use the laser to cure - BIG failure.
I know I see a thread about using a laser and powder coating powder, but I can find it anymore. I will be very happy if the OP will chime in and share if it is possible his results or failures.
If the low temperature will not have the requested quality I think I will switch to copper and use the real enameling process.

Thank you
GB

Dan Hintz
07-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Dan - enameling an aluminium is not possible because of the difference between firing temperature. Aluminium will melt before enameling to cure (850-900 C).

Enameling can be done on aluminum... not all enamels fire at the same temperature and there are numerous alloys out there.

That said, I was answering the question you asked:

I need to know:
- what kind of paint they use to fill up that little space from a badge;

Balsanu Gabi
07-27-2014, 1:40 PM
Hi Dan,

Can you point me in the right direction rgarding enamles for aluminium?

Dan Hintz
07-27-2014, 4:21 PM
Have you ever enameled before? If not, doing it on aluminum is not what I would consider a beginner's exercise. Your color palatte will have some limitations due to the lower cook temps allowed, and the pickling process will be a bit different, too. But, the enamels themselves are not different than for use on any other material... you just have to use the low-firing colors.

Balsanu Gabi
07-27-2014, 4:40 PM
I have experience, but with real enamel, torch firing and kiln cure. I know the market use to have AL enamels, but all of them been retired because of problems with the low temp. Do you have some links with that low temp enamels for AL?