PDA

View Full Version : 3/16" Dado Burning Red Oak

Andy Lachman
07-25-2014, 7:10 PM
Hi all
I am trying to make a 3/16" wide x 1/2 Dado cut on a table saw -2.5 amp 5000 rmp- using an 80 tooth Freud diablo Carbide 10" blade.
It is burning the 3/4"x 2.5" red oak. Does any one have a idea how to fix this?
Is it the blade? I tried going to a 1/4" but that didn't help
Thanks much

George Bokros
07-25-2014, 7:52 PM
Is the dado across grain or with the grain? Is your blade sharp?

Jamie Buxton
07-25-2014, 8:04 PM
An 80 tooth blade is usually best at cross-cutting veneered sheet goods. It is usually not so good at ripping solid lumber. You'd be better off with a general-purpose blade.

scott vroom
07-25-2014, 8:10 PM
Try not hogging off the entire 1/2" in one pass. Instead take off ~3/8" first pass then clean up the last 1/8". Should eliminate the burning.

Normally on a dado I'm not so concerned about burning since the dado is going to be filled with stock. What is your application that would leave the dado exposed?

Erik Loza
07-25-2014, 8:50 PM
An 80 tooth blade is usually best at cross-cutting veneered sheet goods...

This ^^^

Make sure the blades are sharp, as George asked, but I would go for a blade with less teeth. Like 60.

Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Andy Lachman
07-25-2014, 8:57 PM
Yes brand new blade
I was going to edit going with the grain
So I guess technically it is a groove not a dado

Andy Lachman
07-25-2014, 9:04 PM
Thanks
I tried 1/4" the same thing happened
The groove will be filled but is smoking really heavily
Should I go with a rip blade
Or perhaps a single blade from a dado stack

Matt Day
07-25-2014, 9:29 PM
If it's smoking badly, it sounds like something is not aligned properly on your saw which is causing friction and burning. Did you make sure your blade is parallel to your fence?

Andy Lachman
07-25-2014, 9:37 PM
Yes I squared the blade and fence prior
Additionally I checked the test cut and it was parallel
I also sprayed wd 40 on the fence to reduce
Friction

Myk Rian
07-25-2014, 9:59 PM
Dull blade.

Ken Andersen
07-25-2014, 10:16 PM
The 80 tooth is intended for fine cross cutting and will not perform well in hard wood cutting with the grain. A 40, or even 24, tooth rip blade will serve you much better in this application.

Lee Schierer
07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Yes I squared the blade and fence prior
Additionally I checked the test cut and it was parallel
I also sprayed wd 40 on the fence to reduce
Friction

Yes, but is the blade perfectly aligned with the miter slots? I've cut grooves with my Freud crosscut blades on occasion in red oak with no problems. I've done this on a 1-1/2 Hp saw.

What tooth profile does your blade have?

Art Mann
07-25-2014, 11:07 PM
The problem is the 80 tooth blade. Use rip blade or a dado blade. You are going to ruin that new blade if you keep burning it like that.

Peter Quinn
07-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Wrong blade, possible alignment issues, but the gullets on an 80z blade are nowhere near capable of clearing chips from a dado, and the clearance angles are generally wrong too for either dados or ripping long grain. Plus with that many teeth in play you can't feed fast enough to avoid burning without seriously clogging the cut with saw dust. Switch to a good rip blade, 30T or less is preferable, a 40t combo would probably work too.

Bill White
07-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Wrong blade. Ya need a ripper.
Bill

scott vroom
07-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Wow. I completely missed that the OP was using a single blade and not a dado stack. :o

william watts
07-26-2014, 1:15 PM
Mainly wrong blade. 5000 rpm seems fast for a table saw. I've only owned 2 saws both ran at 3500 rpm.

Howard Acheson
07-26-2014, 2:05 PM
Heavy smoking almost always indicates that you have installed the dado such that the chipper teeth and maybe the outside blade are reversed. In other words, the chippers are trying to cut with the back of the chipper teeth.

Check carefully after mounting the blade. When the blade is rotating properly, the teeth should be facing the back of the saw.

Rick Potter
07-26-2014, 6:22 PM
I have no trouble doing that occasionally with a flat tooth rip blade. Mine is a 24 tooth red Freud.

Rick Potter

Richard Wolf
07-26-2014, 9:02 PM
Not to sound stupid, but are you sure the blade isn't on backwards.

Andy Lachman
07-26-2014, 9:37 PM
Dang, Howard I wish I saw your email early.
You are right; except I'm just using a single blade ( a dado stack is too thick) that is running the wrong direction.
Can't believe I wasted a a day trying to solve this when it was so obvious. What a dunce I am.
This morning I switched to a rip blade and that smoked also.
After a neighbor said it was the red oak causing the problem,they claim oak akways smokes, I gave up and set up a router to make the grooves.
Well at least now I can cut the tenons on the table saw.

Problem solved thanks everyone!

Noothing is foolproof to a sufficiently capable fool

Andy Lachman
07-26-2014, 9:42 PM
The only thing stupid is me, yes it was on backwards.
UGH!!!!!
Thanks

Erik Loza
07-27-2014, 11:01 AM
I was at a trade show once and watched a rep at another manufacturer's booth try to do a demo a bandsaw with a blade that had been turned inside out.

Glad you got it figured out.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Peter Quinn
07-27-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm a millwork professional, I make my living setting up a shaper. A few years ago in the home shop I mounted an insert head, set up the fence, set up the feeder, ran a test piece to my horror that created a smoke show I wont soon forget. That was a long 24" of panel molding.....knives were in backwards. I figured it out pretty quick but was afraid to stop the thing in the middle of a cut for fear with the feeder in play it might damage the knives. Short of the burning in spots it actually made a decent backwards molding....:rolleyes:. Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens. Its easy to get focused on one detail and lose track of another. I've seen guys at work mount saw blades backwards plenty of times, but there are usually a few coworkers around to help diagnose the problem with helpful suggestions like "Hey Stupid...try putting it in the right way.." I actually put a BS blade on backward once....

I guess on the diagnosis check list "Is it in backwards" should be the first item?

Rick Potter
07-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Did it with a dado set once. Thank goodness, it didn't damage my brand new Forest Dado King.

Of course, that is the only mistake I have ever made.

Rick P

scott vroom
07-27-2014, 2:20 PM
Did it with a dado set once. Thank goodness, it didn't damage my brand new Forest Dado King.

Of course, that is the only mistake I have ever made.

Rick P

And I've only been wrong once....and that was when I thought I was wrong and was really right :D

Andy Lachman
07-28-2014, 12:13 AM
As education advocate ( another hobby) I
espouse the notion it takes a caring community
to educate a child. Today I found out that the same can be said about
about the woodworking community and cutting wood.
Thanks all for stories and your support .

It us amazing how well wood cuts when the blade is installed properly.
Grooves are done , tenons were cut with a dado stack and now my mother in law
has four new red oak flat panel doors to go with the cabinets I made

Andrew Pitonyak
07-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Dang, Howard I wish I saw your email early.
You are right; except I'm just using a single blade ( a dado stack is too thick) that is running the wrong direction.

Ironically, I almost started a thread about two weeks ago to ask if anyone had ever mounted their saw backwards..... Because, I mounted my saw backwards. I was tired, swapped the blade back to my regular blade then I went to bed. The next day, I was staring at the saw thinking.... something is not right. I figured it out before I ran something through it. Is there danger of loosing a tooth if I had run something through?

Art Mann
07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Whether installed forwards or backwards, an 80 tooth finish blade is not appropriate for cutting grooves. Using it that way to any extent will result in burned wood and dull untempered saw blades due to excessive heating.

Myk Rian
07-28-2014, 9:58 PM
Reminds me of my brother and his lawn mower. After 2 years he decided the blade needed sharpening.
It was on upside down from the git-go. Turned it over and got another 2 years out of it before it needed sharpening.