PDA

View Full Version : Router table- shop-made dust bucket/dust collection?

Jay Yoder
07-25-2014, 12:35 PM
Greetings all, I am currently finalizing the dust collection of my NYWS inspired router table. I have come up with a concept based on my version of the Incra dust bucket. My intent is to support the router top, right where the router lift/ PC 7518 hangs so It won't sag. Let me know your thoughts...293710293709293712

Also, any experience with 4" connection on the fence? Is it worth the extra sizing required?

Paul Wunder
07-25-2014, 4:08 PM
Can't address the "sag support" but I can address the dust. I also just completed a "Norm" table with a Jessem Master Fence 2 1/2" hose on top and a 4" port from the rear.of the dust collection portion of the cabinet. Both ports combine to a 6" duct fed by my Clearvue Cyclone. My early experience is no residual dust either on the table top or in the cabinet.I am quite surprised at my results.

I drilled 7 holes, each 1 3/8" in the plexiglass door (three on top and three on the bottom) with a 7th hole as a finger pull. The suction when the cyclone is on makes me really yank on the door to open it.

Jay Yoder
07-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the response Paul. If I understand you did the collection out the bottom with the sloped ledge above the opening? I have a jet DC-1100 so I am sure I won't have as much suction as you, but am guessing if done right it will keep top and bottom clear. I know some folks say the biggest improvement is upgrading the lower port to 4" from the 2-1/2". I am using a Woodcraft 27x42 top and want to make sure it does not sag with the woodpecker lift and 7518.

If i had it to all over again, I would do the drawers with false fronts!

Paul Wunder
07-26-2014, 7:17 AM
Jay, I am using the sloped edge and the "funnel" shape per Norm. My total dust compartment width is about 2-3 inches narrower and about an 1-2 less in the depth. I did this to accommodate the Jessem 24x32 (nominal) table and their fence mounting system. The height of the compartment has not changed.

Incidentally, Bill Hylton published a great book in 2007 dedicated solely to using router tables. In it he talks about building in supports to prevent sagging as you build. I just got the book (Amazon $19) and I am finding it to be very useful with with crisp writing and good pictures of table operations.