PDA

View Full Version : New drill press - stock table - rough machine marks

Geoff Stevens
07-25-2014, 1:14 AM
I've just bought my first drill press (Jet JDP-15M). The machine marks on the flat surfaces of both the table and the base seem to be quite aggressive. I don't know if this is normal or not. I'm wondering if (on the table anyway) it's for friction? Although it seems to be more coarse than necessary for this purpose. The base is even more rough. Its actually proving quite difficult to clean off the shipping protective coating due to the sharp tool marks.

I'm wondering if I should attempt to smooth them out a little and, if so, what would be a decent method?

The DP will be used mostly for woodwork and I hope to add a larger woodworking table to it at some point (although the stock table is not bad for size).

Any opinions would be appreciated :)

Geoff

Bruce Page
07-25-2014, 1:32 AM
The table on my Delta BOSS spindle sander was rougher than a cob. I took a simi retired ROS, 100 grit paper, and some kerosene and sanded it smooth. I set the table in a cardboard box to contain the mess. (it was extremely messy)

Rich Enders
07-25-2014, 1:38 AM
Geoff,

I have a Delta from 15 years ago, and both the table and the base have a coarse machined (milled?) finish. I can't see how it matters very much. If needed you can support your work on something smoother, but I don't think I ever did that.

I used it as is until 5 years ago, and then built a larger table which clamps over the stock table. So now the stock table finish does not matter at all.

Craig Day
07-25-2014, 4:21 AM
Geoff,

I have this same drill press in the floor standing model. The table is rough and the edges were also quite rough. I took a metal file to all of the sharp edges. The rough surface hasn't been an issue for me at all. One day when I finally getting around to building a proper table for it.... they'll disappear all together. ;-)

cheers,
Craig

Cary Falk
07-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I would have guess it was just Jet since my Jet edge sander is my only tool wit a rough table. As mentioned many times, it won't matter when you put a quality table on it.

Floyd Mah
07-25-2014, 10:50 AM
I bet most people will make a custom top for their drill press to facilitate clamping and supporting. They probably haven't seen the finish of the metal top in years. I have a hint for making it easier to use your drill press, top or no top. Make a small platform, about 1.5" high, that you can place your small work on. The top would be sacrificial, so that you can drill things without worrying about making inserts to keep the surface pristine. If you make the platform about 14" by 6", it would be more than adequate for most work. You could also have a small lip on it for clamping small objects and a "V" notch for convenience. The top will work well to prevent blow-out on the bottom side of your work.

glenn bradley
07-25-2014, 5:41 PM
As stated, don't worry about it. You will be putting a woodworking table and fence on it anyway. As Cary pointed out, my one Jet tool is the only one in my shop with this type of surface. I put a shop made top on it.

Phil Thien
07-25-2014, 5:44 PM
How flat are the surfaces? Have you checked with a reference straight edge and feeler gauges?

Just kidding.

Geoff Stevens
07-28-2014, 1:50 PM
Thanks so much, everyone for the responses. I can see that an auxiliary table will be in my future ;)

After some thought and observation, I believe it's not so much the depth/height of the tool marks themselves that's causing me the stress—I believe that it's minute burrs on the individual ridges/grooves of each mark. I've gone over both the milled surfaces with steel wool (#1 then #000), working in line with the ridges as best I could. It seems to be much better now and I feel comfortable continuing with assembly. I can clean it without it tearing up the cloth and run my hand over it without it without removing a layer of skin;-)

You've all been very helpful, thank you :)

Geoff.