PDA

View Full Version : House wrap installation question- existing window casings

joseph moore
07-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Hi. I can't find any information on this on the web. Everything on tyvek etc is for new construction. I already know how to install it and wrap it into rough openings etc. My question is- what is the proper way to install house wrap on an old house where I'm not removing any of the corner boards or window casings? or windows for that matter.
All of that sort of perimeter trim is in pretty good shape so I want to leave it. It's just the siding on two sides of the house that needs to be replaced. So if I'm going to tear it all off and install new wood clapboards then of course I want to wrap it.
What do I do? Cut it flush to the window casing and then flat tape it with the tyvek tape?

Rich Riddle
07-24-2014, 10:24 PM
You dictate he perimeters with your question, so I will try to answer it the way you asked. There is a product called Vycor that is a flexible very stick tape that one warps over the house wrap at the window areas. Here is one link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WWN2NI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would tape and staple the house wrap about two inches away from the outer edges of your corner boards or window casings and then apply this product where it butted up against the corner boards and window/door casings. Hope that makes sense to you and good luck.

By the way, many people produce similar products, and I have used most of them. Vycor isn't the cheapest, but it's the most consistent and best one I have experienced.

joseph moore
07-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've seen Vycor. It's by the same company that makes Ice and Water Shield i believe. That would certainly be a tidy way of handling it. I might remove the corner boards just so I can wrap the tyvek around the corner a couple of inches. But removing the windows is going to be too much for this project so I think the Vycor solution sounds great.
I'm going to be dressing up the head casings with some trim/crown so that will involve replacing the existing head casing with wider(taller) stock and adding a new drip cap (pvc) that will stand past the ends of the casing by whatever the depth of the bed mould will be.
Would the Vycor go behind the drip cap with the tyvek lapping over the top of it? I'm not clear how to flash this detail.

Mark Bolton
07-25-2014, 6:42 AM
You might be carefull putting anything behind the new head as it will likely bump it out even if only a little. In my experience it can be a pain. You may want to simply re-dress your windows they way you choose but before applying any decorative trim and returns put the wrap on (while the casing is rectalinear). Then apply your other details. It would save you trimming and taping around the profiles.

Jim Andrew
07-25-2014, 7:45 AM
I think I would pull off the corner boards so you can put the house wrap behind the corner. The joint between the corner and siding are a critical point for leaks, as well as the window trim. Also be tempted to pull the window trim out and use a wide putty knife to push the housewrap behind the trim. You can use a flat bar to pull the trim out, and then tap it in and possibly expose the nail heads so you could just pull them out and then get the house wrap behind the trim. Could try the same thing on the corners.