PDA

View Full Version : DIY and Home Shows on Television

Rich Riddle
07-24-2014, 9:49 PM
I am trying to stomach some of these DIY and Home shows on television to get some ideas but it seems they have far more drama about lives of the people involved than actual work like they once did. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any shows that focus primarily on the work and far less on the drama?

Matt Day
07-24-2014, 9:57 PM
Not that I know of, and I watch a lot of then (hgtv, diy, fyi, and more). I think most people that watch them dream about what they could do with their house, but don't have any inclination to do it themselves. Therefore, the producers of the show have some drama and flair to keep the majority involved.
Too bad for those of us that want tinder the nuts and bolts. I did just start recording a show in FYI called Flip this House (I think) which seems pretty good. Still drama but not bad.
Don't get me started on the safety on these shows.

Rich Riddle
07-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Matt,

Concerning safety, I did notice they had some folks watch the "carpenters" use tools such as a sliding compound miter saw once and then start using the tool themselves. I cringed when some lady place her hand on a board exactly where the blade would cut across. They went to a different segment before she made her cut and in the final she had all fingers.

Back to the main point, even Holmes on Homes now fills with drama. Is Home Time still on the air?

Dick Latshaw
07-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Is Home Time still on the air?

Yes. Dean Johnson and friends are still going strong up there in Minneapolis. 27 years on the air, according to the web site.

Roger Feeley
07-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Ha! Rich, that reminds me of the time I punched my wife. We were in the shop and she wanted to cut something on the chop saw. I looked away for just a moment and when I looked back, she had her thumb in the path of the saw, the saw was on and coming down. The best thing I could do right then was just clock her. Saved her thumb and she thanked me for it. Of course the whole thing was my failure for not supervising as well as I could have.

Justin Ludwig
07-25-2014, 8:30 AM
Ha! Rich, that reminds me of the time I punched my wife. We were in the shop and she wanted to cut something on the chop saw. I looked away for just a moment and when I looked back, she had her thumb in the path of the saw, the saw was on and coming down. The best thing I could do right then was just clock her. Saved her thumb and she thanked me for it. Of course the whole thing was my failure for not supervising as well as I could have.

This mental picture made me laugh. I can imagine the surprise on her face. Gotta smack the women folk around from time to time. ;)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-25-2014, 11:56 AM
My wife and I like "Rehab Addict", with Nicole Curtis. Complaints with that show as with any other, but she does a nice job on what seems to be decent budget, and she's a fun host. There's some human drama mixed in there to keep things moving at times, but it's not a story about a failing relationship masquerading as a home improvement show. That they spread out each project over several episodes means they don't zip through things super quick, and give you an idea of how much work it really was, but it's not a how-to show, either. I have quibbles with some of the wood-work/furniture making that sneaks in here and there, but it's all miles ahead of the nail-gunned butt-joints in painted MDF that passes on the HGTV/TLC home makeover shows. (I always find it hilarious seeing those shows make the world heaviest and filmiest shelving unit, paired with the world's most uncomfortable chair . . . )

I used to like This Old House and Ask This Old House, but lots of what they show is way out of our price range. The other stuff is just damn simple. It's like, everything is either a way complex industrial water/HVAC system, or fixing a leaky bath fixture. No real in-between. A lot of the stuff is interesting, but stuff I'd leave to a professional. The Ask segments are hilarious sometimes; when I see the houses those folks have, I have to ask - if you can really afford that house, in that part of the country (a lot of big houses in expensive parts of New England on there) I'm pretty sure you can afford to just hire someone to fix the faucet if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself . . . Even the lousiest of plumbers probably has a faster turn-around time than a TV crew!

Michael Weber
07-25-2014, 1:28 PM
I'm curious about some of the budgets they come up with for renovations. Are they practical at all for the work done? Seem low to me. Are materials donated or something and not included?

Val Kosmider
07-25-2014, 2:53 PM
Seems to me that This Old House, Ask TOH, Hometime, and Roughcuts are the only 'real' ones left. There is an afternoon show anchored by a fairly chubby guy who actually does woodworking with a team of guys, but the format/conversation/sterility is too much to handle.

Any of the flip this, restore that, gut your house, or whatever are just little dramas meant to entertain the masses and have little to do with the actual work. Sadly, more and more, Holmes on Holmes included.