PDA

View Full Version : Problems with AI produced artwork files

John Owles
07-24-2014, 7:47 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have problems with client artwork files, for laser engraving, that have been produced with Adobe Illustrator. Multiple underlying lines, open paths etc.? We are getting an increasing number of new customers, who are using AI, and 99% of them are sending files that are unworkable without considerable work.

Mitchell Tutty
07-24-2014, 8:17 PM
Hi John.

This happens to me probably, I don't know, maybe like ALL THE TIME!
There is various work arounds, I actually have a copy of illustrator.
So I now open the files in illustrator, then slightly alter them then export them myself.
It's easier to adjust them for Corel in illustrator then to try to make them work directly in Corel.

Before I had illustrator I use to open them in Acrobat, not just the PDF reader, like the full version where you can export it out as an eps. This usually corrects all the curves, eg. when you import intol corel and lines have inconsistent thicknesses and that sort of thing. However there is still the problem of multiple lines, which is a huge pain.

I also get that problem between a few other programs, like exporting from Corel into my old CASmate I use to run my router has a few issues. Like I create things with a hairline in Corel, export into CASmate and it creates a double line of thickness .038 mm. If i export something with a line thickness, it creates 4 lines in CASmate, a line on either side of the thickness line, then another .038 inside that line. Trick is to export shapes with a solid fill but NO outline. It then is seen as just one line in CASmate.

Mike Null
07-25-2014, 8:07 AM
I use CD X5 and open AI and eps files nearly every day with no problem. I do run into your problem when I bring in most CAD files.

Ross Moshinsky
07-25-2014, 10:22 AM
This isn't an Illustrator problem. This is a designer problem. Designers produce artwork to get a look. Very few are mindful of how they get there. It's your job then to make the artwork something you can work with, which is annoying. That's why you need to sometimes tack on art charges.

There are tricks to get the file to work well with the laser. I've learned quite a few of them over the last 10+ years.

Bill Stearns
07-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Morning All -
Boy, I'd sure like to help if I could. I have a customer, an engineering firm, who sends me their sign layouts done with their CAD software. (to be engraved into LaserMax plastic.) At first, I had a pickle of a time doing anything with their files - couldn't. I learned that I could open 'em using my Adobe Illustrator. (in AI I get rid of the extraneous text, specs, and elements they included that I don't want to engrave. On a backup copy, of course.) Then, I save the AI file as an "optimized" PDF -and import the illustration into CorelDraw.
In CorelDraw I ungroup all - break apart all the elements - changing only the lines to be (vector) cut to hairline. (using the outline pen.) Some of the graphic elements (e.g. like arrows and drawings of handles) I convert to bitmap, so they won't cut out. (they were at first.) I copy the sign's actual border and convert this extra border to hairline - so the entire sign will cut out.
I have sense gotten them to send their illustrations as a PDF. I import 'em into CorelDraw as "Curves". I still have to convert "graphic elements" to bitmap - I use CDraw's outline pen to convert line sizes to .50 for rastor engraving. Hopefully, within all this - there is an idea that'll help ... ? (Was trying to attach a picture of one of their layouts; couldn't get the attachment button to work - sorry.)

Bill

Jason Hilton
07-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Why the extra step? Why not simply print from Illustrator Bill?

Doug Griffith
07-25-2014, 11:41 AM
I exclusively work in Illustrator and agree that it's a designer problem. One quick "trick" I do when getting files ready to cut is:

Ungroup everything
Release all compound paths
Select all
Change fill to none
Change stroke to red, 3+ pts, transparency 30%

From here, if I see any darker lines it means there's an underlying line that needs to be removed. When done, I select all and convert to 100% black and .001" stroke.

Bill Stearns
07-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Why the extra step? Why not simply print from Illustrator Bill?

Jason -
Guess it took me so long to figure out how to handle their (CAD) files - once I figured out a way, I didn't want' a spend the time to figure any other way. Plus, while I do have AI, I just don't use it very much - not sure why - just don't.

Have 'great day.
Bill

Jon Sollee
07-30-2014, 4:47 PM
I get the absolute worse .ai files from clients. Lines have too many nodes, curves are jagged, paths not connected..ect. Sometimes if its a good paying job you just have to bite the bullet and go in and fix their artwork. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes doesn't. Just tack on more money to fix their files if you are even able to do so.

Jon

Joe Pelonio
07-30-2014, 7:38 PM
I pretty much stick to regular wholesale customers now, and I got around this by training them to give me good files. If I do get a bad one I'll email and tell them they have the option of fixing it or paying me at $75/hour, and they always are able to fix it.

Mike Null
07-31-2014, 7:43 AM
I generally follow Joe's practice but I have exceptions. With new customers it's strictly, "provide good art or pay for it".