PDA

View Full Version : My new kitchen

Fred Voorhees
07-24-2014, 9:48 AM
Hi guys.....I sort of got away from this forum for a little while. I had always planned on renovating my kitchen and building the cabinetry. It was definitely a bucket list item. However, I wanted to wait until I retired so that I could dedicate a good amount of time to the project and in that way, could finish the job much quicker and have the kitchen out of commission for a little time as possible. I retired at the end of January of 2013. The plan was to get right on the kitchen. However, an open heart surgery to replace a faulty aortic valve sort of got in the way and I spent most of last summer recovering from that. There was no excuse this summer and I managed to get a hold of some very beautiful quarter sawn red oak for the cabinetry. My homes copper plumbing was shot also from years and years of suffering from hard and acidic water. The house sits on a slab and the plumbing pipes run under the floor on the first floor...in essence, with absolutely no way to get to it. So, I figured while the kitchen was being renovated, why not go all the way and replace the piping also. Went with PEX and while at it...replaced the water heater, water storage tank, water softener and an acid neutralizer and also had a new laundry room washer supply station moved from an exterior wall and also had both outside hose bibs replaced. Big job....about a month or so with no kitchen, but well worth the effort. Here is a little video I put together to document the entire project from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2elzQGLlI

Mike Ontko
07-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Beautiful job on the cabinetry and the reno! Any job worth doing... There was talk in an earlier posting about the aesthetics of using oak for kitchen cabinets (the reference was aimed more at the production stuff from the big box stores), but I think you've shown that you can definitely achieve a high-end look with the right design and application.

One thing though--no push pads with that awesome jointer?! ;)

bruce buren
07-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Great cabinet work! I like the walnut accents! Also great documentation of the project step by step, nice to see the whole project start to finish.
Also glad you recovered from the heart issues to be able to get this off that bucketlist!

scott vroom
07-24-2014, 1:06 PM
Fred, beautiful cabs...I love the straight grained QSRO and attention to detail. Overall a nice remodel! Thx for posting the pics and vid....nice to see other's methods and techniques, pic/vid worth 1000 words etc.

Congrats on your health recovery, too.

Fred Voorhees
07-24-2014, 4:10 PM
Beautiful job on the cabinetry and the reno! Any job worth doing... There was talk in an earlier posting about the aesthetics of using oak for kitchen cabinets (the reference was aimed more at the production stuff from the big box stores), but I think you've shown that you can definitely achieve a high-end look with the right design and application.

One thing though--no push pads with that awesome jointer?! ;)

Mike....my right hand is pushing the stock through the jointer with a push devise that resembles a saw handle.

Raymond Fries
07-24-2014, 5:49 PM
WOW - What a dramatic difference. It really looks nice with all of your special details.

Enjoy it always...

Jim Matthews
07-24-2014, 6:41 PM
Spectacular.

I particularly like the clock.

Kudos

George Bokros
07-24-2014, 7:27 PM
Beautiful design, and execution.

George

Art Mann
07-24-2014, 8:59 PM
My compliments on the remodel job and the video too! I really like to "look into" the workshops of other craftsmen to see how they work.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Very nicely done Fred!

I have similar project in the works for our home after I get the exterior painted later this summer.

Rich Riddle
07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
The stone backsplash looks good with those cabinets. How long did this project take you to complete?

Dave Ray
07-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Really nice cabinets Fred, thanks for showing start to finish and your other projects. Gives us all inspirayion

Jim Becker
07-27-2014, 8:12 PM
The cabinets looked great in your shop when I stopped by awhile back and they look outstanding in their permanent homes! Bravo!