PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered writing a manual for the 15" planer?

Jim Andrew
07-24-2014, 6:59 AM
I have used a Clymer's repair manual to repair a Honda ATV, and found it to be possible for a less than mechanical genius to get the most out of my atv, and have read several posts from folks who have no clue how to get the most from their 15" planer. The pictures and common sense method of repair in the Clymer's manual, makes me think that someone could put out a booklet on the planer with pics and description that could be profitable for the writer and a great help for those less mechanical. Probably a self published booklet that you could post the availability of on this forum, and sell yourself.
There was a post a few months ago, where a guy had bought a new Grizzly planer, found it to need some adjustment, sold it and ordered a Powermatic, to get a planer that would work the way he expected it to. I just had to laugh, that for some adjustment he spent a lot of money.

Justin Ludwig
07-24-2014, 7:32 AM
I don't know if it's worth the time (certainly not mine). I have no experience with larger industrial planers, but the smaller ones are not rocket science.

It could be that the majority of the people requesting help have no mechanical inclination or are just to timid to attempt taking things apart. I know the Grizzly manual leaves MUCH to be desired in terms of information, but I learned more about taking it apart and putting it back together than any booklet or manual could have taught me. The full schematic breakdown is helpful for trouble shooting or getting that missing nut back into its proper place.

My advice: don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Grizzly (not sure about PM) tech support will still answer your call and field your questions if the machine is out of warranty. I'm not sure about other company's tech supp. A hundred dollars on reliable caliper equipment and anyone can easily get these machines running great!

Rich Riddle
07-24-2014, 8:09 AM
If you go to OWWM you can find many manuals including ones that show how to dismantle and repair older model tools. Those manuals include ones for planers. Now if you're talking Asian imports, you won't find those manuals there. But since most Asian models are knock-off models of old American tools, they will prove very similar if not exact in the manuals.

glenn bradley
07-24-2014, 8:19 AM
It sometimes seems that there can be a market for anything ;-) I agree that if you have adjusted a woodworking machine or two of any type, the basic concepts transfer pretty well. Its not rocket science but, you do have to use care and diligence.

Doug Ladendorf
07-24-2014, 9:20 AM
It's a good point. When I picked up my '96 Woodtek 15" planer it needed work. I got a lot of info from the Grizzly videos they have as there was no manual. These machines are all so similar.

Bruce Wrenn
07-24-2014, 9:31 PM
Grab hold of a copy of John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." There is a bunch of useful info there.