PDA

View Full Version : Do you know the Star-Spangled Banner?

Jason Roehl
07-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Since our National Anthem here in the U.S. is often butchered, I was just curious how many folks actually know it, and if any know beyond the first verse. Personally, I at least knew there were more verses, but I have never learned them. But, I think I will. If you want to check them out, along with a little history about Francis Scott Key and his writing of the Star-Spangled Banner, you can go here:

http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/anthem.html

Rich Konopka
07-04-2005, 1:02 PM
How many people know that our National Anthem is set to the tune of an English drinking song ("To Anacreon in Heaven")?

Happy 4th to all.

Jason Roehl
07-04-2005, 5:54 PM
Wow--that's more people that know the whole anthem than I would have imagined. I'd be willing to bet that all of them are over 50!!

Celebrate responsibly, folks, but have a happy 4th--enjoy the freedoms many others have died for you to have.

Jackie Outten
07-04-2005, 6:15 PM
Jason,

I must confess that I am among the over 50 crowd who know all the words.

Jackie

Lee DeRaud
07-04-2005, 6:55 PM
I must confess that I am among the over 50 crowd who know all the words.To balance that out, I was pushing 50 before I knew it had more than one verse.:o

The real issue is that knowing all the words would not increase the (very small) number of people who are willing to listen to me sing.:eek:

Frank Pellow
07-04-2005, 7:06 PM
I only know the first verse :( (but that's not bad for a Canadian :) )

Per Swenson
07-04-2005, 8:28 PM
I only know the whole thing because as a member of the
chorus in 5th grade, (the last year of grammer school in this neck
of the woods) we practiced it for weeks for graduation ceremonies.
Also on the play list that night, Sounds of Silence, and the 59th street
Bridge. Francis Scott Key and Simon and Garfunkel.
June of 1969

Per

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2005, 3:19 AM
Wow--that's more people that know the whole anthem than I would have imagined. I'd be willing to bet that all of them are over 50!!

Celebrate responsibly, folks, but have a happy 4th--enjoy the freedoms many others have died for you to have.
Well, I erroneously clicked the "I know the whole anthem" button and voted before I really read and thought about the other choices. Actually, I only know the first verse. :o Stupid blonde guy moment, I guess.

- Vaughn

Jason Roehl
07-05-2005, 7:30 AM
Well, I erroneously clicked the "I know the whole anthem" button and voted before I really read and thought about the other choices. Actually, I only know the first verse. :o Stupid blonde guy moment, I guess.

- Vaughn

Yep...I thought about that possibility after I had voted on the poll (meaning I could no longer edit it). Oh, well.