PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay?

Jason Solodow
07-04-2005, 2:30 AM
Okay, whats the average price for like a carpenter's adze and an axe? I saw some on lehmans.com, looked alot cheaper then places like Woodcraft. How much should I expect to pay for a decent one though? Also, instead of like the Swedish broad axe (about a $150+), couldn't i just use a double bit axe? Or is the curvature of the blade wrong?

Thanks!
Jason

Harry Goodwin
07-04-2005, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't be able to suggest anything like this except you might want to think that a double bitted axe does not allow you to work with the axe and a mallet for big chisel jobs. I used to use a hatchet a lot with a mallet. I was always aware that hammer face to hammer face is deadly for flying chips of steel. Harry

Roger Bell
07-04-2005, 11:29 AM
For new stock, do an internet search for brands such as "Iltis Oxhead" and "Gransfors Bruks". These are fine tools and worth the price, unlike the junk in the garden sections of most retailers. You might also do an internet search for firms that cater to "log building" or "timber framing".

You can pick up used good axes around here for just a few dollars....as cheap as $5 to perhaps as much as $25. Adzes go for around $25 or slightly more.

You were not specific in your intended uses for the tools.

Mike Wenzloff
07-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Jason, I cannot help much on the cost front. I would defintely look for older tools, especially if you intend on using them.

I have used a double bit for flattening log joists in a pinch (i.e., too lazy to grab the adze). It is an accident waiting to happen, though. And trust me, if a double bit is sharp enough to do the work, it will ruin one of your nice pair of White boots real quick DAMHIKT.

That said, I have used the double bit to score to lines and then followed with the adze.

If you intend on squaring logs with an axe, get a broad axe. If you intend on doing a lot of this work, get a couple adzes (one carpenters with the upswept corners and on flat), axes and a broad axe, maybe also a broad hatchet for clean-up.

Jason Solodow
07-04-2005, 1:50 PM
You're right, it probably would have helped if I had said what I'm going to do with them.. I'm looking at making dugout canoes...

Bryan Hartle
07-05-2005, 8:57 AM
Jason,

I have a Broadaxe and a couple of Adz that I would sell. They are all older ones but still usable. I am in Indiana also. If you are interested let me know.
Bryan

James Carmichael
07-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Flea markets and antique malls can be good places to pick up items like that inexpensively. I almost took home a shingle froe last month from an antique shop, it was priced $25. IIRC, the same dealer had a decent adze priced about $40. Both were rusty and would've needed new handles. I'm in North Texas, which is a desert for old WW tools. On the plus side, when I find something, it's often a bargain because the seller doesn't know what it is or is selling the item as a wallhanger.

I use Lee Valley as my price reference for items like these.

Bob Smalser
07-05-2005, 11:55 AM
You're right, it probably would have helped if I had said what I'm going to do with them.. I'm looking at making dugout canoes...

Whoh there.

You want a shipwright's lipped adze, not a carpenter's adze.

Carpenter's adze's are for making flat surfaces. Shipwright's adze's are for making curved surfaces.

The more curve in the blade the better for your purposes. They're out there new....I'll try to find the one I saw.