PDA

View Full Version : What is...?

Kevin Clark2227
07-21-2014, 3:54 PM
Kiss cutting?

Michael Hunter
07-21-2014, 4:04 PM
Cutting through self-adhesive label stock (e.g. LaserLights) without cutting into the backing paper.

Sounds difficult/unlikely, but is very easy in practice : the paper backing over the adhesive needs quite a lot more power to be cut than the thin plastic label stuff.

Kevin Clark2227
07-21-2014, 4:06 PM
Thanks. that is very helpful. Now I understand these instructions. Never messed with vinyl stock before ( Siser Easyweed)

Chris J Anderson
07-22-2014, 4:42 AM
Just a warning in case you're cutting vinyl in a laser - its a big no - no...

Search PVC in this forum...

Dan Hintz
07-22-2014, 6:24 AM
You can "get away with" kiss-cutting PVC sheets if you're in a pinch(several here have with no apparent ill effect), but I wouldn't do much of it, and I would turn my exhaust system to max.

Michael Hunter
07-22-2014, 8:17 AM
Depending on what you want to do -

There are alternatives to vinyl (e.g. mylar) available from sign making suppliers, but these may be difficult to find.
Even if you find something non-vinyl, you need to be really sure that they have sent the right thing!

I get a high profit margin on engraved labels : these look a bit "special" - particularly the "metal" types.
Rowmark LaserLights and IPI Ultrathins are the names that I know, but there may be more (they all come from the same factory).
A 1'x2' sheet costs about £10 and converted into labels fetches between £80 and £150*

* I'm lucky - I have one customer who makes so much on their product that they really don't care what I charge so long as the labels are absolutely perfect.

Dave Sheldrake
07-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Kiss Cutting can also refer to marking a line using the cut function but ensuring it only marks the surface. Bit like drawing with a laser point instead of a pen. Used to show drawn details on a surface rather than raster engraving .

cheers

Dave

David Somers
07-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Morning Mr Sheldrake!

Not having a laser in hand can be awkward when reading posts sometimes. Why would you mark a surface with a cut rather than an engraving? Is the appearance different? Speed? Just curious.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Can be a lot faster Dave.

Dave Sheldrake
07-22-2014, 3:49 PM
Can be a lot faster Dave.

spot on Scotty :)

David Somers
07-22-2014, 3:54 PM
Thanks you two!! Will add that to my ever growing bag of notes!!

Dave

Kevin Clark2227
07-27-2014, 8:45 PM
Just a warning in case you're cutting vinyl in a laser - its a big no - no...

Search PVC in this forum...

As I mentioned above, I will be using Siser Easyweed vinyl which is listed in the Sample Club on Epilog (http://www.epiloglaser.com/resources/sample-club/applique-cutting-laser.htm). That's how I found it. So I figure if it is on Epilog's site, it can be lasered safely. So no worries.

Dave Sheldrake
07-27-2014, 8:57 PM
It's PU based and not PVC Kev, so yes it is safe (assuming normal procedures etc)

cheers

Dave