PDA

View Full Version : 3D Laser Engraving

Robert Walters
07-20-2014, 2:40 AM
I've seen some of the 3D (not 2.5D) laser engraving artwork and I'd like to try my hand at it.

But I can't seem to find much written on the subject, and not quite sure the methods used, software, etc. If anyone has any specific info, links, etc. I'd appreciate.

I realize it's 256 shades of grey to give varying depth. But are they starting with something like Blender/Bryce and going from there? Is it something more 3D CAD? Something else?

The closest I've found is this:

http://www.kernlasers.com/3d_laser_engraving.htm

Unfortunately, it doesn't show the original image/artwork that was used to create the greyscale one.

Dan Hintz
07-20-2014, 8:17 AM
Gantry Co. sells laser-ready 3D artwork:
http://www.gantryco.com/

If you want to make it yourself, you can either go the 3D drawing package route (like Blender), or you can fake it in a 2D program (like CorelDraw).

Jason Hilton
07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
I've been planning to write a tutorial on creating 3d ready files for laser engraving, I just keep putting it off. To get started, do a search on "z-depth map" and "rendering depth maps". Most 3d packages can render them from 3d objects.

Matt McCoy
07-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Robert,

Is the work you linked to 3D? It is/was my understanding that relief work like this is considered 2.5. Thanks!

Jason Hilton
07-20-2014, 2:02 PM
You create artwork like the kind linked in 3d software and render a depth map to get 3d relief from the laser.

Kevin L. Waldron
07-20-2014, 8:31 PM
Programs like Aspire, Artcam, and a number of other CNC programs will make the necessary files fairly easily if you have artwork. As mentioned there are other ways to produce the needed gray scales for the laser 3d simulation...... I'd consider what you show 180 degree or 2.5 not a 360 degree file.

A 360 degree file could be done with rotary or 4th-5th axis for the laser but the software is equally as difficult to use and cost rises substantially. Some software like Aspire somewhat flattens the work to be done for rotary.... other programs like Rhinocam, VisualMill, Sprutcam, Solidcam, etc. are able to perform the task as drawn and send you data as 4-5-6 axis.

For us personally the time involved is not worth the effort........not uncommon to have 3-6 hours in a 10" x 10" as an example.......... Sells people like to show off but in reality trying to make any money with this is a joke.....my two cents.

Blessings,

Kevin

Robert Walters
07-23-2014, 2:36 AM
Hey Kevin,

Well, I consider 2.5D to be something like V-Groove or relief carving, where you can have an arbitrary Z-Depth just to add some sort of visual "height" to it. The actual depth itself is not significant in changing that actual perspective.

Where as 3D, the actual depth is significant, else it gives a "stretched" or elongated appearance.

Doesn't matter if it's 180 deg or half of 360 deg.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it =)

All that aside...

I realize that it is very time consuming, thus the sheer cost of 3d z-height map artwork.
I more or less just wanted to try my hand at it from a more artistic perspective.

I have access to an older ArtCam, but I've never touched the 3D stuff in it.

Take the bird you provide, do you have the source image you could share as well?
It might give me a better idea on how to approach this.

I'd like to take simple line-art and the and give 3/2.5d a shot.

I actually have the fishing sample that is shown in the link original post
http://www.kernlasers.com/img/3DFish_large.jpg

It's extremely delicate, but still neat enough to give it a try =)

Kevin L. Waldron
07-23-2014, 2:52 PM
Robert,

The eagle was a purchased clip art from one of the Vectorclip 3d or the Vector Art guys so....... afraid I can't place it up on the site..... With Artcam you simply load a file like the one shown tell the program to process for gray scale....... easy enough. The hard part is the designing of the scenes in 180 degree. Artcam, Aspire, RhinoArt, Enroute, and several other programs do well at this. As mentioned free programs like blender can do this just not as fast. If you use a program like Artcam you begin with a 2D file usually and swell or bubble the parts to get the picture to look as if it's an embossed/engrave kind of look. (We personally aren't artist but we do well with 3D cad parts)

What I was trying to distinguish was that most all the thing we actually do for income are 3D items. Attaching two....

Blessings as you work.

Kevin

Matt Geraci
08-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I stumbled across this program this AM abuot 3-D lasering--
http://www.type3.com/EN/products&services/product_us.php?url=LT/laserType.php&image=2&photo=galerieLT.gif
Would this work? The FAQs say it will work with ANY laser system?

Kevin L. Waldron
08-03-2015, 1:06 PM
Matt,

Not a lot on the web-site you show about the product ..... the company also sells Catia which is a High End 3D program ...... so more information is needed about the particular program......

Blessings,

Kevin

Dan Hintz
08-08-2015, 8:50 AM
I stumbled across this program this AM abuot 3-D lasering--

Their FAQ leads me to believe the software is geared heavily towards text/fonts and not much else... though their site barely gives an ounce of information on the program. One would likely need to download the demo and play with it for a while to determine if it would be of any real use. Judging by the one image they show (and a smart company would choose an image that shows off as much functionality as possible, as much WOW factor as they can), I don't see much more capability than the cheap Chinese programs that come with the desktop laser systems.