PDA

View Full Version : Dual beam marking gauge attempt

Jeff Wittrock
07-19-2014, 5:03 PM
This is my attempt at making a dual marking gauge. A marking gauge should be the simplest of things to make, but for better or worse I just wanted to play around a bit.

The wear plate/body are mild steel pieces riveted together using mild steel pins. The beams are just made from 3/8" bolts with the head and threaded section cut off. The infill material is Honduran rosewood.

Inside the thumb screw holes I placed pieces of leather that grip the beams. The rear clamp was added as an afterthought and unfortunately doesn't really work. The spacing I put between the beams was to large for a single 1/4" thumb screw to contact both beams with a tapered nose to lock them in place, so I though I could place leather between the two, and the screw would force it to expand and bind the two beams, but it doesn't work so well. I may split it in half and have the single screw pull the two halves together to grip the beams. To be honest, I have not yet even had the need to use both sides at once let alone move both beams together so I may just leave it off.

The cutters are made from O1 and have a thumb nail like profile.

Honestly I was just looking for an excuse to put rosewood and steel together.

Chris Griggs
07-19-2014, 5:12 PM
Wow Jeff. That's really neat! Looks beautiful!

Ryan Mooney
07-19-2014, 5:36 PM
Dang that's a nice looking piece of kit!

Where did you get the thumb screws?

bridger berdel
07-19-2014, 5:45 PM
looks like a useful tool, aside from being pretty.

I think I'd have left the knurl less deep, flat on top. at least it looks sharp- it might be kinder on the fingers than it looks.

Don Rogers
07-19-2014, 7:15 PM
Jeff,
That is just beautiful.
Every time I see something like that, I want to go make one - just to admire it.
Great work.

Dave Beauchesne
07-19-2014, 8:48 PM
Damn!! That looks realllllly nice. Well done on all fronts.

John T Barker
07-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Absolutely great stuff. Well done.

Jim Koepke
07-20-2014, 12:17 PM
That could have commercial possibilities.

jtk

george wilson
07-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Really horrible work!!. Send it to me so I can hide it that no one else may see it and deride you!!:)

Shawn Pixley
07-20-2014, 1:33 PM
Really horrible work!!. Send it to me so I can hide it that no one else may see it and deride you!!:)

George, you are the "giver."

Jeff, very nice work!

george wilson
07-20-2014, 1:38 PM
Shawn,in truth I usually am. For some reason I seem to be one of the few of my circle of friends who has ANY money!! Some have plenty of talent,but not much money. Do you know what 2 degrees and talent will get you in Wmsbg ? $14.00 an hour(they start the ACTORS at more than the craftsmen.)

Jim Matthews
07-20-2014, 3:07 PM

Do the same with yours, George.
You've got my address...

(Something with purfling or gymping would be nice.)

Jeff Wittrock
07-20-2014, 4:18 PM
Ryan,

I made the thumb screw from 1/4-28 SS hex head bolts and mild steel for the head. I don't have a lathe, so what I usually do is start with a piece of 1/4" thick mild steel plate and drill and tap a hole for 1/4-28. I counter drill the hole about 1/16" deep with a 15/64 bit. I then cut out a square around the hole a little over the head size I want. I thread the 1/4-28 bolt into the tapped hole and tighten enough to draw the shank down into the undersized hole, but hopefully not enough to snap the bolt :). I then cut he bolt head off flush and file the square into an octagon, and then into a circle. I then chuck the bolt into my drill press and shape and polish. Finally I cut the knurling using a triangle file. That's why the knurling isn't terribly uniform or pretty.

Jeff Wittrock
07-20-2014, 4:23 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

Your concern is both appreciated and valid George :). That is the danger in posting pictures after all, and luckily I have pretty thick skin.

Jeff Wittrock
07-20-2014, 4:29 PM
looks like a useful tool, aside from being pretty.

I think I'd have left the knurl less deep, flat on top. at least it looks sharp- it might be kinder on the fingers than it looks.

Thanks Bridger,
Yes, it is fairly sharp. It will bite a bit although my fingers are probably callused enough that I don't really notice and I have always liked the nice grip that the sharp knurling gives. I do wish I were better at cutting the knurling finer though. I just haven't had much luck cutting finer knurling with a triangle file.

Ryan Mooney
07-20-2014, 4:49 PM
Thanks for the details Jeff, clever way to do it, and would be a nice way to make them out of alternative materials as well.

You sure wouldn't know from looking at them that they were hand filed!

Ralph Juarros
07-20-2014, 5:30 PM
That is a beautiful instrument, Jeff. I am thoroughly impressed and amazed - especially with the hand cut knurls . Ralph

Don Rogers
07-20-2014, 6:10 PM
It is absolutely amazing that you made that without machine tools.

Matthew N. Masail
07-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Jeff every time you post an "attempt" of yours, we all know it's going to be somthing special. that is fantastic! I agree that could be sold as an infill marking gauge.