PDA

View Full Version : what to do with 55 gallons of linseed oil?

Lynn Kasdorf
07-03-2005, 9:47 PM
My neighbor gave me a 55 gallon drum containing what smells like linseed oil. (He got it at an auction along with some other stuff, and he knows I do woodworking). It has a nice spigot on it. It is designed to be mounted horizontally so you could run off a couple gallons when you need some :)

Now, I don't know how old this stuff is- I have to assume at least 10, 20 years or more. And I don't know if it is boiled or not. Actually, I have not actually looked at the stuff yet, but it sure smells exactly like BLO that I use.

The question is- what to do with it? I am restornig my old barn- maybe it will be the finish for the interior wood, or maybe I could oil the timbers. My favorite wood finish is 1/3 BLO, 1/3 poly varnish, 1/3 naptha. But, I maybe use a quart of BLO/year...

I could soak turnings in it. Maybe it woudl make a good fly repellent around the barnyard. Maybe make my own sticky flypaper.

I could find a bunch of old cotton bedsheets and go into production of nitrocellulose.

I always figure that if you have enough of something, there is always something you can do with it, if you are creative.

Chris Padilla
07-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Lynn,

First thing I'd do is to try some out on a piece of scrap (ply or hard) and see how it looks. The drying time (i.e. when it is no longer tacky/sticky) will determine if it is boiled or raw. If raw, it could take 1-2 weeks to dry! If boiled, it should dry in a day or two.

Also, this will give you chance to simply see how it does. Good luck...bottle it up and sell it cheap or give it away as Christmas gifts!!! hahaha.... :D

John Hart
07-03-2005, 11:22 PM
That would be a great opportunity to try those translucent pine turnings that Sasha Gast is making. He submerges them completely in Watco. I bet linseed oil would work the same...maybe :rolleyes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20121

Steve Ash
07-03-2005, 11:42 PM
My dad always mixed 1/3 linseed oil with his paint when he painted the barns we had on the farm. He was/is a firm believer that it was the best way to paint those barns believing the wood soaked in the oil and preserved it longer.

Chris Padilla
07-04-2005, 1:30 AM
Steve,

That works fine to thin the paint but make sure if you want to do this that your paint is an oil-based paint! :) :D

CPeter James
07-04-2005, 8:07 AM
Check out the lampshades here.

http://www.woodshades.com/

Richard Wolf
07-04-2005, 9:15 AM
Was this neighbor a friend? Sounds like you couldn't use that much Linseed oil in a couple of life times. You will be putting that drum in your will.

Richard

Ken Garlock
07-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Was this neighbor a friend? Sounds like you couldn't use that much Linseed oil in a couple of life times. You will be putting that drum in your will.

Richard

ROTFLMAO :D Richard, I like your NYC humor. You said what I was thinking :cool:

Dave Sweeney
07-04-2005, 11:02 AM
I always thought that Linseed Oil only had a shelf life of about a year. I'd definately do some test pieces before using it on any project.

John Hemenway
07-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Can you make bio-diesel out of it? Might be nice for the vehicle to smell more like a woodworking project than french fries! :)

Lee DeRaud
07-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Might be nice for the vehicle to smell more like a woodworking project than french fries! :)"I don't know what the problem is: doesn't matter where I go or how long the drive is, I'm hungry when I get there!":p

John Lucas
07-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanksgiving turkeys are often boiled in oil.

Steve Ash
07-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Steve,

That works fine to thin the paint but make sure if you want to do this that your paint is an oil-based paint! :) :D
Yep Chris,
Dad always insisted on using an oil based paint.

Carl Eyman
07-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Maybe you could give it to Bob Smalser - he could float his boats in it thus finishing the wood and running the shake-down cruise all it in one step.