PDA

View Full Version : GravoStyle DWG Import Issue

Mike Valiant
07-18-2014, 8:38 AM
Hi Guys, I am currently running a Gravograph LS100Ex with Gravostyle 7 software. I work for a company making basic tag's for machines and am having issues importing our engineers DWG files. The file imports but I get a text error saying the .txt is not recognized, even though I am using the same text style as our engineers.

The file imports into the software just fine because I select my own text style, but the text doesn't stay where it is supposed to and displaces itself. I then have to manually align all the text within every tag which is time consuming.

I am wondering if it is in fact the .txt which is the issue or if other people might understand the issue at hand. I also contacted the parent company for support and had one of their tech's here to fix the issue and nothing was accomplished. I was told as long as the file was 1:1 ratio using the same standard of measurement it should not have any issues, but clearly thats not the case.

Thanks guys, any advice is useful even if its a better software suggestion for this machine!

Edit: Also would anyone know if there is a way to make a CSV type file using comma's in the file?

Ross Moshinsky
07-18-2014, 9:20 AM
First I would recommend importing an eps file instead.

Second I assume you're talking about variable text? If so, just copy and paste your list in. We find using excel works the best, by far. We don't bother importing because copy and paste works so well.

I would need to see an example of the text moving around to troubleshoot that.

Mike Valiant
07-18-2014, 9:40 AM
This is the error I believe causing the problem, and what the problem looks like. As you can see the text is too big and out of its original place in the CAD/DWG file. I then have the shrink them and re-align them for each tag, some of our job's can be massive and have hundreds of these DWG files so having this fixed would be hugely helpful.

http://s14.postimg.org/sgsl9pt5t/Bad_Font.png

http://s27.postimg.org/d30ypxg83/Broken_Text.png

EDIT: I tried EPS and had no success at all.

http://s28.postimg.org/sdqyxrnjh/EPS_Options.png

http://s4.postimg.org/q441z53fh/EPS_Error.png

IDK what is wrong with the EPS, it imports but the text distorts alot.

Ross Moshinsky
07-18-2014, 9:51 AM
There are a few options.

- Somehow convert the text to outlines. That way you're not importing a font but a vector.
- Have the designer use a different font or look into installing the AutoCad font on your computer.
- Import a different file type. DWG may be problematic but EPS may work perfectly.
- Stop designing in another software suite and start designing in Gravostyle.

Pete James
07-18-2014, 9:53 AM
Mike,
I would see if the engineers can convert the text to curves before saving the file as a DXF.

Mike Valiant
07-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Have you seen the EPS images I uploaded. I don't have many import options but I played with them a bit and it doesn't seem to change the outcome.

Phil Vernon
08-13-2014, 7:40 AM
- Stop designing in another software suite and start designing in Gravostyle.
+1

Get your Cad people to export the text into columns..i.e a different column for each different variable.
Copy and paste the whole lot into your 'Variable edit', Tick the 'kill empty lines' and the software will centralise 1, 2 or numerous variables onto a label. Then multicopy.
Once you have done it a couple of times and use the snap tools you just nest different multicopy labels together.

Chris J Anderson
08-13-2014, 8:37 AM
Regarding making a csv file...

csv has no use at all for graphics, it relates to very basic text files only.

csv is comma separated values (which you probably know).

In a csv file, each comma signifies a new column.
At the end of each line, CR,LF (Enter) starts a new line (2 Hidden characters are placed at the end of the line when you press ENTER).

So to see how easy it is, just make a txt file called 'sample.txt' using notepad...
Then type (or paste text below) into that file...
Column 1,Column 2,Column Three (then press enter for new line)
Column 1,Column 2,Column 3

Then save the file and close it.
Then rename it from .txt to .csv
it will now open up in excel and the 3 items will be in separate columns, plus you will have 2 rows.

Hope this is the sort of info you were chasing.

cheers,
chris

Mike Audleman
08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
I am no expert but here are a couple things I would try...

1. Run the DWG/EPS through your copy of Corel or Autocad and re-export it if it can open it.
2. As mentioned, engineers convert text to curves/vector prior to exporting their file. But this will not solve the long term issue.
3. You could zip up the eps file and post a link to it here and see if anyone else can open the file. If we can, then its your PC thats corrupt, not the file :) At least you would know where the problem lies.
4. Possible one of the two of you have a corrupt font file (option 3 above here will tell you who has the bad file, you or the engineers). So, whoever has the good copy of the font needs to copy it from their windows/fonts folder go through control panel/fonts and copy over the corrupt one.

Kev Williams
08-13-2014, 4:29 PM
Before Gravo 7 you couldn't import DWG files, only DXF files...

As to the placement and size of the text: I didn't even look at your files, because I've dealt with this issue for years. Corel does the same thing. I build ski lift operator panels, and the company sends me their DXF drawings, and the text comes in squashed, stretched, out of position, and any combination. No rhyme or reason. Corel mentions this problem in the help section:

Files exported as “Entities only” may not appear as expected in the Corel program because of a lack of header information.

Justification of text entries may not be preserved, especially if fonts are replaced in the imported files. For best results, avoid justification of text.

I've always had the same problem with importing DXF's into Gravo. I've had other problem importing DXF's too, such as goofy circles, missing pieces of graphics-- But importing EPS files is almost always a sure bet. If I have a DXF that's going into Gravo for any reason, I import it into Corel first, then change it into an EPS...

To fix the text problem, "explode text" or whatever it's called in AutoCad to change the text to curves (graphics) will fix the problem, unless a graphic rendition of text won't work, such as in the variable text list. And if that's the case, then your AutoCad guys should just use Gravo in the first place, as has been suggested.