PDA

View Full Version : LV Small Router Plane Depth Stop

Don Rogers
07-17-2014, 7:21 PM
Not wanting to hi-jack the “Router Plane” thread, I wanted to add this as a plug for the LV Router and to also ask the question shown below concerning the small LV router.

Recently, I made 18 3/4” wide by 1/4” deep (4”average length) dados in pine and thoroughly enjoyed using my LV router to make all a uniform depth. Doing these one at a time, the LV depth stop came in very handy. I have not used my Stanley # 71 since getting the LV - probably because of it’s less than desirable depth stop.

The procedure was to first make a knife line, then a v groove to locate the saw, then saw down to the 1/4” depth - on both sides of the 3/4” wide dado. the waste was then removed with the LV Router. I was surprised by the accuracy in using this method.

During this enjoyable time, my table saw and electric router sat idle. The job could have been done much faster with either of those - but not as much fun and not as safe.

Small LV Router Question:

The small LV router is also a very nice tool but lacks a depth stop. One could be made using a split collar clamped around the cutter shank but I am looking for one that also is guided in some fashion to keep the blade facing the same direction as it is raised and lowered.

I have several ideas how to accomplish this but would appreciate your input so as not to reinvent the wheel.

Don

john zulu
07-17-2014, 11:43 PM
You can check Derek Cohen article.
http://www.homemadetools.net/router-plane-depth-stop

I personally mark the depth with marker on the blade shaft. If the marking reaches the collet it is deep enough.

Derek Cohen
07-18-2014, 1:56 AM
Hi Don

Rob Lee has mentioned before that all owners of the Small Router plane will be sent a depth stop for the small router plane. I suspect that this has yet to take place as no one has mentioned receiving one. I have a pre-production version, and this is nicer than the one I made (in John's link, above).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
07-18-2014, 7:40 AM
Are you employing the small router to "hog out" all the waste?

I typically use a chisel, bevel down, to get close.
The router is set to take off 1/64" or so, only at the end.

It's a wee tool, and should take off only a little material at a pass.

lowell holmes
07-18-2014, 7:59 AM
I don't have the LV router plane, but I do have the LN small router plane.

I don't understand the need for the depth stop. I suppose I could fashion one. I was just made aware that LN has one.

Small router planes are good for leveling the bottom of hand chopped mortises.

Derek Cohen
07-18-2014, 8:12 AM
Lowell, the depth stop is essential for precise, repeatable work. For example, with hinge mortices (I assume that these were to which you were referring - the other type do not need levelled floors).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Rogers
07-18-2014, 9:50 AM
John,
Thanks for Derek’s article link to his version of the small LV router depth stop.
This is very similar to my thinking except I want to add the feature of keeping the blade pointing in the same direction as you move it up and down.
While this may not be necessary in all cases, it seems like a good feature to add when making an adjustable stop.
Derek’s version is excellent, however, and he presented it well before I had the LV small router and realized the advantage of having a depth stop.

Derek,
Wow that’s great news. I’ll have to wait until Rob comes thru with the LV version before I proceed with my version.
Any idea when that might happen?
You are absolutely correct about the usefulness of the depth stop. After cutting 18 dados, one at a time, resetting the same final depth might have become a nightmare otherwise,

Jim,
I was doing the same as you - just removing a small amount (about 1/32”) each time. Having the router depth stop set to 1/4” was a great timesaver. No hogging.

Lowell,
The depth stop is a time-saver and insures that the final depth of your dados is the same - if thats what you want.
Derek is correct in his reply.

Don

Derek Cohen
07-18-2014, 11:06 AM
I want to add the feature of keeping the blade pointing in the same direction as you move it up and down.
While this may not be necessary in all cases, it seems like a good feature to add when making an adjustable stop.

Don, have a look here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ModifyingTheLVSmallRouterPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Rogers
07-18-2014, 1:17 PM
Derek,

You are way ahead of me. I like both ideas - grinding a square or v on the small router blade stem to keep it aligned and your sharpening method. I intend to try both. Along with an adjustable split collar, the ground square or v sounds perfect. I should be able to make the necessary parts with the shop equipment I already have.

Thanks,

Don

lowell holmes
07-18-2014, 5:50 PM
Hand chopped mortises do not require leveled floors, but it sure helps clean up a mortise of debris and gives me a chance to admire my work.:)

I don't do a lot of hinges (I have), but the next time I build a Shaker candle box, I will remember the small router.

I suppose if you are doing inlays, it would be helpful.

Don Rogers
07-19-2014, 7:34 AM
In my case, having all dado floors the same depth was very important and that is where the depth stop on the LV router really shined. Being easy to set a depth and then the repeatability from the depth stop allowed this without much fuss. Understanding that is my reason for a depth stop on the small router. It would be a huge improvement. Many times it is not necessary, however. YMMV.

Don

lowell holmes
07-19-2014, 8:02 AM
OK, I'm convinced.

I will order the $20 depth stop for my LN small router plane.

I was not aware of the accessory until this string.

Don Rogers
07-19-2014, 8:23 AM
I wish one would be available for the LV small router. I understand one is on the way from LV but do not know when. I'll be waiting.

Rob Lee
07-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi,

I believe the small router plane depth stop will be available in a few weeks ( August supplement) . I think it's on the page near the medium router plane, but I could be wrong.....

The stop will be free with an order, or to pick up in the store for those that already have the plane.

Cheers,

Rob

Derek Cohen
07-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Your'e such a tease, Rob ... hee hee .. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Griggs
07-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Your'e such a tease, Rob ... hee hee .. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Indeed he is! These things were lined up all over the factory when I was there last week. I didn't get to play with one but they looked pretty appealing to me. I was going to get a small to complement the large I've had for years, but then I saw these and decided to hold off. Pretty sure I'll be ordering one.

lowell holmes
07-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi,

The stop will be free with an order, or to pick up in the store for those that already have the plane.

Cheers,

Rob

I didn't miss this! :)

Derek Cohen
07-19-2014, 1:38 PM
No, Lowell, you did not miss that. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Don Rogers
07-19-2014, 4:22 PM
Great news from Rob. I may just put off making my version until then. It will probably take until August to travel north from NC to pick up one - Ha Ha - I hope they will be able to send me one as soon as it is available.
Lowell, when you get the depth stops for both the LV and LN small routers, I hope you will give us your opinion of each.

lowell holmes
07-19-2014, 4:40 PM
I only have the LN small router plane. I've had it for a number of years. I like it, and have all of the blades for it.

I have an old Stanley large router plane along with LV irons for it.

I probably will not buy the depth stop for the small plane unless I need it.

I have an abundance of both LN and LV tools. I find the service is good from both companies.

I absolutely love the LV spoke shaves. I think I have them all. The Cast Steel shave they came out with last year is absolutely spectacular.

I'm waiting now for their cranked neck chisels to arrive. It will be interesting to see how they will sharpen.

Jim Belair
07-19-2014, 4:46 PM
Doubt I'll need it since I have the large and small but look forward to seeing the medium. Oh, and good news about the stop.

Rob Lee
07-19-2014, 5:27 PM
Hi Lowell,

We haven't even shown our cranked neck chisels.....unless you mean the Narex, of course.... ;)

Cheers,

Rob
( officially declaring the start of "tease season" )

lowell holmes
07-19-2014, 5:41 PM
They will be the Narex. I have two of your Narex pig stickers.

Rob Lee
07-19-2014, 5:47 PM
They will be the Narex. I have two of your Narex pig stickers.

I have the Narex too, and really like 'em...

Cheers,

Rob

Don Rogers
08-09-2014, 2:58 PM
Way back when this thread was still active, I began working on my version of a depth stop for the LV small router. It was put aside due to other projects while I contemplated adding Derek’s square corner area to the stem of the cutter.

His terrific idea holds the cutter in a straight forward position as the cutter is moved up or down and really makes the total modification a great addition to the LV small router.

Not being that skilled at hand grinding, my hesitation was mostly due to the grinding problem.
At this time I do have ideas for a grinding fixture but they were put aside while I was making a shaving horse and starting on a workbench. Today, I decided to not wait, and, at least finish the stop. The picture shows my stop.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://2CAEF6B7-DA15-4463-8994-AE0B80879B8E/image.tiff
Sorry, Could not get even one picture to post. Will try again tomorrow.

Actually, I has several photos showing different views but could not get along well enough with iPhoto to add them to this post.

Basically, the stop is a rectangular piece with a hole for the cutter post and a tapped hole perpendicular to that for the thumb screw. The piece is slotted from the thumb screw end to the cutter post so that tightening the thumb screw squeezes the hole and clamps the stop to the post. Eventually, I will mill a slight flat on the router casting where the stop meets it - not necessary but will make me feel better.

Derek’s stop is definitely nicer and smaller but I was looking for a way to guide the stop as it traveled up and down and thereby keep the cutter in the same position. When I saw Derek’s cutter post mod. I realized it was an excellent solution to that problem. Although I have not yet tried his mod, I believe it will work with the same round stop hole as long as some of the original radius is left on the post after grinding - assuming that small radius is not clamped in the stop’s slot. Actually, Derek’s stop together with his post mod. would be better since it is smaller and does not have the clamp slot to fall into.

I have yet to see or hear any more about LV’s small router stop but am patiently waiting.

Don

Don Rogers
08-10-2014, 9:10 AM
Sorry, but I cannot find a way to post pictures. Can someone help?
Don

Don Rogers
08-12-2014, 1:05 PM
Sorry to be a pest about this but I need help in posting pictures.

Can anyone please point me to the forum area that explains this?

Guess I am computer challenged and unable to find these directions on my own.

Thank you,
Don

Charles Bjorgen
08-12-2014, 1:26 PM
Don -- For now, click on the "Reply to Thread" button lower left of the last window in the thread. You.'ll get the reply window as well as a series of icons directly at the top of the window. Click on the third icon from the extreme right. You'll be prompted to "Insert Image." Select "From Computer" assuming that you have the photo on your computer. Then click on "Choose File" and locate the file on your computer. Click on that image and you should see it appear in a tiny window. Then click on "Upload" and you should then see a code that indicates it is ready to go.

I did his from my iPad and it seemed to work fine. There are other ways of accomplishing uploads too. Click on go to advanced is another way. Hope this helps.

Don Rogers
08-12-2014, 3:00 PM
Charles,

Thank you for your detailed posting on uploading pictures. I really appreciate it.
There must be a problem with my computer - it refuses to load a photo from iPhoto or my desktop. I have tried everything I could think of to no avail.
I was able to load pictures on my iPad using your directions. However, I have vision problems and would rather work on my large screen desktop.
Thanks again - I will have to work this out later.
Don

Michael Ray Smith
08-16-2014, 2:16 PM
Hi,

I believe the small router plane depth stop will be available in a few weeks ( August supplement) . I think it's on the page near the medium router plane, but I could be wrong.....

Cheers,

Rob

Dang. Should have waited to order that plane blade that came in last week. Now I'll have to find something else to buy. :)

Hilton Ralphs
08-17-2014, 4:52 AM
I've only just twigged that there's a medium router plane available, going to check it out. Anyone done a review?