PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent's Barn wood; psyched

Moses Yoder
07-17-2014, 7:15 PM
Years ago my maternal uncle inherited the job lot of my grandparents possessions. They had lived on the property and helped care for them, but still there were some hurt feelings. This is in Ohio about 5 hours from our house. My mother later bought some stuff they were selling at a yard sale so she has a few of her mother's and step-mothers dishes. About 3 or 4 years ago my uncle got cancer and they had to sell the place and move, which is when I acquired my grandfather's anvil, donating a good bit to my uncle for it. This year in March my mother went out there to visit some friends and when she returned told me that my grandparent's barn had been torn down and the wood was just setting there in a pile. I honestly couldn't justify making a trip out there just to get some of the wood, but my cousin lived out there. I called him that night and asked if some of the wood could be set aside for me to be brought out here when somebody made the trip anyway. He is a very outgoing and loud person, the kind that will agree to anything and then not do it. I understand I was asking a big favor, not blaming him, just hoping it would work out some way to get some wood before it was burnt. I called him twice more asking if the wood had been saved and he always had reasons why it wasn't, good reasons. After the third call I decided to give up on it and stop bothering him.

Last week on my Friday visit to mom she mentioned my brother and his wife were going to Ohio. I called him immediately, that moment. Here was somebody new to bother. I asked nicely that if they would possibly have a chance, to bring some of grandpa's barn wood back for me. I left it at that and didn't think about it again until mom said my sister-in-law was dropping off a bunch of wood for me. Overjoyed, I stopped and looked at it today. I wanted enough to build a cabinet for my shaving stuff and there is plenty for that. Looks like a lot will get wasted to get something usable out of it but one board in particular is exceptional, a 1" x 18" x 72" quartersawn white oak board I will probably use a part of for the door. The rest is just misc. car siding which means a lot to me I guess and nothing to anyone else :) Really thrilled that after 5 months of working on this it finally materialized.

Raymond Fries
07-17-2014, 7:33 PM
What a wonderful piece of wood for your cabinet. I am sure coming from Grandpa will make it extra special. Kinda like memories tied to things. Huh...

Post a picture when it is completed and enjoy it always...

Jim Rimmer
07-18-2014, 1:26 PM
Moses, I love your stories. And I especially enjoy your ability to put yourself out there for us all to see. You have emotional connections to "things" that we probably all have, more or less than you maybe, but are too reticent to admit to them. Keep posting. I look forward to your posts.

And post photos of your cabinet. I'm sure it will bring you joy for a long time because of the connection to your grandfather.

Harold Burrell
07-18-2014, 2:25 PM
Moses, I love your stories. And I especially enjoy your ability to put yourself out there for us all to see. You have emotional connections to "things" that we probably all have, more or less than you maybe, but are too reticent to admit to them. Keep posting. I look forward to your posts.

And post photos of your cabinet. I'm sure it will bring you joy for a long time because of the connection to your grandfather.

I absolutely agree. Moses, I too appreciate your contributions to this community. :)