PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge - Maple Pedestal Bowl

Roger Chandler
07-17-2014, 1:28 PM
I have been trying to figure out what to do with this particular piece of wood for about 18 months.......several times I picked it up and could not decide what I wanted to do. This particular piece of maple came from a larger blank that cracked and I cut it down basically into a cube shape but left the undulating natural bark edge on it, so I had thought a few times about making a natural edge something or another from it.

Yesterday, I just finally decided to see if I could not get it to a point I could put a tenon on it...........[I was glad by the way that I had the chuck plate I got from Jerry Marcantel in Arizona.......it came in really handy!]

I had one of those design opportunities on this one.........I had to change the original design of the pedestal because when I went to reverse and turn the bottom off, a couple of cuts revealed a bark inclusion and part of the base broke off..........that mandated turning the bottom feature away to a smooth curve up to the base of the bowl and bead underneath. Sometimes one never knows what the wood will reveal, and make you change your design a little! :eek: The pic does not show it, but it has a good bit of curl in the grain as well as the spalting.

This is 6-5/8" wide and you can see one side is higher than the other, and it is about 5.5" tall. This went through about 5 sanding sequences total, with shellac sealer added after the first two sequences......then sanded back, a coat of WOP added, sanded back after drying and then another coat of WOP........a total sequence from 120 - 400 grit, then another coat of shellac and the final coats of WOP.......... This thing was sanded slick as a billiard ball! ;) Getting some items ready for placement in galleries.

I have been under the weather for the last two weeks, so my turning time has been limited, so it was nice to get back in the studio :rolleyes: er, uh.........shop! :D Comments always welcome!

In case anyone might be interested.........my new website is now up. I will edit my profile so that folks can click on my avatar and link to the site.

Roger Chandler
07-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Chirp.........chirp...........chirp............... .crickets! This has been posted for two days. 370 views and not one comment! :D

Just struck me as unusual! ;):D

Rich Aldrich
07-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Very nice piece, Roger. It looks like the foot is incorporated into the bowl - not a separate piece. Your photo is a little off and doesn't do it justice. There is a double shadow and it seems out of focus.

Roger Chandler
07-19-2014, 2:38 PM
Very nice piece, Roger. It looks like the foot is incorporated into the bowl - not a separate piece. Your photo is a little off and doesn't do it justice. There is a double shadow and it seems out of focus.

Yep, Rich.........this was not my best photographic effort.......sorry! But thanks for making this thread have at least one comment not from me! :D

Alan Arnup
07-22-2014, 2:54 AM
Delightful result Roger, hope you receive many more comments
from Australian members in due course.

Alan

Roger Chandler
07-22-2014, 8:43 AM
Delightful result Roger, hope you receive many more comments
from Australian members in due course.

Alan

Thanks Alan.........appreciate your comments, and wish you g'day!:)

Thom Sturgill
07-22-2014, 9:41 AM
Roger, I have done several 'pedestal bowls' or 'compotes' and appreciate the form. My first was to fix a problem - I almost cut through the center when finishing the bottom, so I epoxied a pedestal inside the ring I had formed for a foot. Good save and a nice piece as always.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Roger, I have done several 'pedestal bowls' or 'compotes' and appreciate the form. My first was to fix a problem - I almost cut through the center when finishing the bottom, so I epoxied a pedestal inside the ring I had formed for a foot. Good save and a nice piece as always.

Thanks for replying Thom........appreciate your comments! I wish the wood had been nice and solid, because the original step feature on the base added to the form I thought, but one must take what one is given as they say!

Gus Dundon
07-23-2014, 3:36 PM
That's an outstanding product from your excellent wood turning skills. Nice edge.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2014, 5:40 PM
That's an outstanding product from your excellent wood turning skills. Nice edge.

Nice of you to say that Gus.............many thanks!!!

Alan Gan
07-23-2014, 6:15 PM
I am just starting my voyage into the world of Turning. I think your piece is very nice and unique. I've been looking at a lot of Turnings and it is amazing the beauty of wood done with a Lathe. I have not even turned a toothpick yet (well I did turn 2 bowls in High School shop).

I have been rearranging my small shop for the last week to accommodate my Yard Sale find Lathe. I can't wait to see what I can design once I get going.

Dok Yager
07-23-2014, 8:16 PM
Nice piece Roger! Once again you challenge me to try something new. ;) I just finished turning my first natural edge bowl and it is currently drying before the final touches.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2014, 8:18 PM
I am just starting my voyage into the world of Turning. I think your piece is very nice and unique. I've been looking at a lot of Turnings and it is amazing the beauty of wood done with a Lathe. I have not even turned a toothpick yet (well I did turn 2 bowls in High School shop).

I have been rearranging my small shop for the last week to accommodate my Yard Sale find Lathe. I can't wait to see what I can design once I get going.

Get ready for the ride we call the "VORTEX" Alan........it is both frustrating and exhilarating at the same time! There is a learning curve, and you can save yourself months, maybe years of frustration by getting into a turning club and get some mentoring from folks who have mastered tool presentation and techniques of turning. You will never regret it!

Good luck, and go get 'em! ;)

Doug Herzberg
07-24-2014, 3:39 PM
That's some nice work, Roger. Hope you're feeling better.