PDA

View Full Version : How many of you Creekers are musicians?

Edward Mitton
07-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Hi, All,
I've noted a lot of the posters here build all kinds of instruments. It's very likely that to build a quality instrument, one should also know how to play it.

How many of you play professionally or semi-pro?

As for me, I play violin (both electric and acoustic), guitar (again, electric and acoustic fingerstyle), and mandolin.
I play e-violin regularly in church with an attendance of around 1500 folks. This is an all electric, rock band setting, so I get to use all of my 'gear-head' equipment on a big stage with lights and all, and play real loud....
I also have a partner with whom I play regular volunteer nursing home gigs, receptions, and occasional open mic sets at the Black Forest Acoustic Society in Colorado Springs. Styles of music range include rock, pop, bluegrass, traditional Irish and Celtic, Country/Western, traditional folk, classical, a little jazz, and freeform. A bit of everything! I don't do many paid gigs, so I consider myself a professional amateur!

As a note, I am truly inspired by all of the quality instrument builds you guys do. I have not even attempted to build an instrument yet because I am such a consummate 'wood butcher' when it comes to fine woodworking. Kudos to you all!

Shawn Pixley
07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Musician here. 12 years of classical violin. Taught myself guitar, bass, and clarinet. The bands I have been in put out 7 albums / CDs. I used to play professionally (own band and session work) and composed, arranged and recorded most ouf our material. Now I do occasional session work and work on my own compositions / projects.

I consider myself as a guitarist (primarilly electric, but I also play accoustic).

I come from a musical family. In my family:

mother - Pianist
brother - pianist & banjo (repairs and restores pianos and Banjos)
wife - singer
son - drummer / guitarist / recording engineer (professional)
Aunt - Piano
cousin - Cello / vocals
Nephew - Guitar

Phil Stone
07-17-2014, 1:59 PM
I am a gigging electric bass player (and have just started in with the upright bass -- much to learn there!). I have also done weird computer/electronic music for over thirty years; my ensemble has achieved some notoriety and toured in Europe a couple of times. If I could do nothing but music and woodworking (and hanging with my sweetie and friends and family) for the rest of my life, I would be the richest man in the world.

Do you musician/woodworkers find yourself especially craving a SawStop, for rather obvious reasons? ;)

george wilson
07-17-2014, 3:27 PM
I play guitar,banjo,cittern,lute and a few other things. A cittern is an ancient metal strung instrument. They were called "English guitars" in the 18th. C. in England and America. As musical instrument maker in Wmsbg. I had to make some of them,as well as harpsichords and spinets.(They bribed me with money).

Most of my music playing years I played flamenco guitar,but lately also went back to Chet Atkins,and general finger style.

Edward Mitton
07-17-2014, 3:29 PM
No saw stop here! I am totally Neander, so I don't use a table saw. However, that's not say that fingers can't be damaged by chisels, handsaws, and hammers, as well. I try to be as careful in the shop as possible. ( I recall reading that back in 1974 Steve Hackett of Genesis put the whole "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" tour on several months delay because he cut his hand on a wine glass).

Julie Moriarty
07-18-2014, 8:12 AM
When I look in the mirror, I see a musician. When I play, it's another story. I only know a few chords. :o

Shawn Pixley
07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
I am partially but not completely Neander. I have a Sawstop as I do value my fingers and the fingers of my wife and son.

Von Bickley
07-18-2014, 1:54 PM
I think everyone in my family has musical talent, some professional, except for one.... ME...

paul cottingham
07-18-2014, 9:09 PM
I am a "musician" more than a musician. Was a "guitar player" (get it?:D) my hands started to go, became a "bass player" for 10 years, now, I can't play at all. Miss it.

Stew Denton
07-21-2014, 10:30 PM
I am a journeyman bass player, and play in the church praise band, and play and sing harmony vocals in a band that goes to prisons, nursing homes, and assorted local events. Have played in a pickup band of local guys that get together, bluegrass, country gospel, and southern gospel. Years ago played in a gospel rock band that traveled some. Played bass trombone in the college band, bassoon and trombone in HS. I had by far the least amount of music talent in my family, kind of the way it is.

I have and use power tools, but am more of a Neander by inclination. I try to use what is most appropriate for the job, so for example, when I built my shed, I wasn't about to use just handsaws for building the trusses.

Regards,

Stew

Duane Meadows
07-22-2014, 8:43 AM
I play acoustic guitar, banjo, and a bit of trumpet.

Charles Wiggins
07-22-2014, 11:17 AM
My sister minored in music and is an accomplished pianist.

I'm a dormant sax player. Right now I don't even have an instrument. Did the high school band thing. We even had a stage band that played a lot of Big Band/Swing, Jazz, and Blues. Everything from Glenn Miller and Count Basie to Chuck Mangione and Herb Alpert. It wasn't just an academic exercise, we actually did gigs. A couple of times we did a double bill with the Paul Nichols Orchesta (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1665&dat=19920216&id=C3obAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Sk4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4947,3766019), which was interesting since his son, daughter, and two or three others were in both bands. Over the years I've piddled with piano, trumpet, trombone, baritone horn, guitar, and lastly bass but even that was 20 years ago.

Dan DeBruler
08-06-2014, 7:25 AM
I'm more musician than woodworker, actually.
Piano from the age of 5, and guitar enthusiast since 11:30 am, June 3, 1971. Give or take an hour.
Currently center a huge percentage of my woodworking around luthiery and other things musical.

Shawn Pixley
08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I played in a big band for a period of time. They are incredibly loud. In fact, I think that they may have had the loudest stage volume than any other I played with. With my bands, the stage is usually the quietest place in the clube or venue. I am big on mic'ing the amps.

Robert Parent
08-10-2014, 4:28 PM
Another musician here..... Pedal Steel Guitar, also a little Dobro, mandolin, and mandola..... Started at age 14, in other works many years ago.

Robert

Mark J Bachler
08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
14 years in a bluegrass band. Guitar, mandolin, harmonica. Still pickin' around the campfire & not on stage anymore.

Jesse Busenitz
08-23-2014, 8:18 PM
Do you musician/woodworkers find yourself especially craving a SawStop, for rather obvious reasons? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes.....Prob the next major tool purchase on the list...

I play in a bluegrass band with 2 older brothers, and a friend. Usually about a gig a month. Started mandolin about 10 years ago, I'm 23 now and still play the mando as my main instrument but also play banjo, guitar, upright bass, and dobro. mostly bluegrass/southern gospel stuff but some western,celtic, and other misc thrown in occasionally
Here's a shabby video of us... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mhZHsc8T-w

Ed McEowen
08-26-2014, 8:25 PM
Bass player here, blues musician playing semi-professionally. Began when I was 14.

Jim Outman
08-29-2014, 9:16 PM
Another bass player and guitarist. Have always been a DIYer and wanted better instruments than I could afford. So I started building. Have 2 basses, neck thru, and 2 guitars done. Now building 2 guitars and a hollowbody bass.

John Coloccia
08-29-2014, 9:34 PM
I don't remember a time I wasn't playing an instrument.

george wilson
08-30-2014, 9:42 AM
Same reason I started,Jim!!

Brian O'Day
09-01-2014, 9:27 AM
Woodworker. I had an interest in building a mandolin. I thought, "How will I know if it sounds good?". So I purchased one and started learning how to play it. My brother plays several instruments and has been very supportive. I joined this forum specifically for the musical instruments forum. Good information so far. I also peruse Mandolin Cafe. Good info there too.

BJ

Dave Kirby
09-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Lifelong musician here. Drums are my primary instrument and I played professionally for many years. I have also been learning to play a little 5-string banjo in recent years. I'm not sure I want to tackle drum building any time soon. I have much respect for those guys and I think it would be an exercise in frustration for me. lol. Ironically, I may be helping my brother with a guitar build in the near future. I have much of the woodworking know-how, but I have no guitar playing ability to speak of. :)

Arnold E Schnitzer
09-01-2014, 8:36 PM
I play string bass and electric bass. Make my living building and restoring basses and cellos.

Pat Pollin
09-06-2014, 11:27 PM
I am a musician (bass) and got into woodworking to support my interest in quality instruments. I built the bass cabinets that I perform with and build the basses that I want to play.

Shawn Pixley
09-07-2014, 11:47 AM
I play string bass and electric bass. Make my living building and restoring basses and cellos.

I visited your website. Beautiful work!

Sean Barry
10-10-2014, 4:51 PM
Musician for 52 years, builder of mandolins and banjos for 46, repairperson (neck resets, broken peghead splices, bridge replacements, new tops, etc.) off and on for most of that time. I found that I couldn't separate my interest in playing from how the thing I played was made, and why some sounded better than others. I play the acoustic guitar (primarily flatpick lead), five string banjo (bluegrass and clawhammer), mandolin, fiddle, and pedal steel guitar, for a living beginning in 1974 and ending in 1985, then back to science where my education was. My science background has been very helpful in building instruments primarily by separating the myth from the evidence on tone, tonewood, tradition, gold plating, and every other subtopic that comes up in lutherie. Now retired from academia, back to more and I hope better playing and more building. Also looking forward to regular participation in Sawmill Creek. When I figure out the rules and the procedures I'll post some material I wrote years back and posted on the very early internet on pearl inlay and on preparing bone for lutherie use

Sean Barry

Wayne Webb
10-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Fingerstyle "classical" guitar, flatpick bluegrass, and five string banjo. My three kids picked it up from me and, as a family band, we played gigs and bluegrass festivals all over this area from Pensacola to Tallahassee to Perry FL, and from Panama City FL to Dothan and Abbeville AL. Those were fun times. Now I mostly pick in the living room but would like to get back into it when I get time. My youngest son is a multi instrumentalist in high demand, playing with several bands at times and on whatever instrument is needed; he can play them all. This is his main group right now....(my boy is holding the guitar)

http://www.amandacookbluegrass.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQYAzmUtq3M

Stan Smith
11-23-2014, 2:54 PM
Trumpet player here--intermediate level. I play gigs with my wife on flute and we are both in a symphonic band of 130. I'm also in a brass ensemble. We play concerts with the band and gig at churches and retirement homes. We also are learning ukes. The only instrument I've made is a tongue drum which my daughter ( a teacher) really had to have. I'm planning on making another one. No desire to make ukulele or guitar though since we already have some.

I didn't play for over 50 years. My music comeback took me away from woodworking for 5 years or so though. I do know a cellist who lost some fingers from his left hand on the table saw. He's a Julliard graduate, really sad.

robin charlton
11-25-2014, 2:06 AM
I like to play guitar and violin my free hours, and a member of carol team. When I search for custom essay writing service (http://american-writers.org/) I find this particular forum. I think this is the right place to clear all yours instrumental problems. Enjoying!

Glenn Howland
12-29-2014, 9:29 AM
Acoustic guitar guy, dabbling in banjo and other fretted instruments. Once I started to learn the fiddle, but only progressed enough to make the cat scream. I've threatened on occasion to take up the accordion, but my friends have always talked me out of it.

Mike Ontko
12-29-2014, 4:54 PM
I'm a (hand raised) former amateur/hack bassist. I started my formal intro to music on lower brass (trombone, baritone, tuba) in junior and senior high, then graduated to electric bass after finding that I'd come onto the music scene for small brass ensembles a little too late in the late '70s early '80s. I noodled around mostly as a fill-in player and abandoned my starry eyed dreams of getting into a real band in favor of finishing school, settling down, raising a family and getting a more traditional 9-to-5 career. But I got back into it briefly in the early '00s, doing a couple of musicals with a local community theatre and then doing a few county fairs and community gatherings (the Taste-of-Tacoma - ha ha) supporting a budding vocalist/friend who was giving her musical career a go through the local Country scene.

My wife (2nd marriage) was and is now again a concert violist, having played with the CSO earlier in her career. In the 10+ years we've been together, I've learned a bit about bow making and have visited one such shop in the Portland area. But I've no desire (yet) to want to even attempt constructing bows, or stringed instruments of any kind. Well, come to think of it at one point I did help my step son build a cigar box guitar for a school project, but that's kind of a far cry from any claim to being a Luthier ;).

Michael Gibbons
12-31-2014, 1:14 PM
Been taking lessons now for 4.5 years or so. My teacher says I'm getting better. I've only played out twice and each time I played only one song. I played White Rabbit from Jefferson Airplane at my first recital and I played Just What I Needed by the Cars at a my in-laws bar. The band is really good and have some of their friends pop up for a song or two. My first love though is drums. Finally got a new Ludwig Classic Maple 4 pc back in September. A couple new Sabian cymbals too.