PDA

View Full Version : engraving steel travel mugs

Deb Fisher
07-17-2014, 9:48 AM
I purchased the 15oz metal travel mug from JDS and trying to engrave. I tried the preset settings on my Universal 30watt but that didn't work at all. I've tried maybe 50 combinations using both the rotary and just laying them flat on the table. I either get no engraving--banding--letters look burnt-or so light you can barely see it. This is the first time I have tackled metal engraving and not such a great experience so far. Any suggestions?

Glen Monaghan
07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Are you using something like Cermark or are you trying to just engrave the bare metal?

Deb Fisher
07-17-2014, 11:56 AM
I called JDS and the person on the phone said that I would only need Cermark if engraving the silver. The colored one to just engrave on. Since I have all colors I am trying to engrave the blue one---but can't get a nice white even engraving.

Scott Shepherd
07-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Can you post some photos of the issues?

Ross Moshinsky
07-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I've found these mugs need to be engraved slower than typical coated metal. Try 100 power, 80 speed, 500dpi. Often it is recommended to do 2 passes. I've found I can get away with one pass and simply apply fine polishing compound to get the engraved areas to pop more. That works most of the time but not always.

Mike Null
07-17-2014, 5:38 PM
I ran them twice and cleaned with dna. It's not anodized aluminum so it won't be white.

Bruce Clumpner
07-17-2014, 7:14 PM
It also helps to hit each mug with a miracle eraser as well, to remove and residual coating.

Martin Boekers
08-06-2014, 4:36 PM
Bruce is right... a Magic Eraser and Windex takes care of it... When I first started doing water bottles I ran many settings then I tried the eraser... Perfect!