PDA

View Full Version : EngraveLab 9 design questtion

Josh Brown
07-17-2014, 9:14 AM
Greetings all, I am very new to the engraving business and wanted to ask for some advice.
I'm working in Engravelab9 and need to design a shape that looks like an hourglass. Any suggestions? Initially I thought that I could make a rectangle then collapse it, but apparently I was wrong. Next theory was to make a triangle the chop off the tip and mirrior it. I just wanted to see if there was an easier way. Thanks for any help I can get.

Mike Null
07-17-2014, 9:25 AM
Josh

Welcome to SMC. I have Engravlab but usually do my drawings in Corel where I'm considerably more proficient. If no one else offers a solution I'll attempt to accommodate you later in the day after I complete a couple of customer items.

I would begin by welding 2 spheres together then manipulating them.

Kev Williams
07-17-2014, 10:46 AM
I could bring up Casmate again, but I digress... ;)

Josh Brown
07-17-2014, 12:31 PM
I do truly appreciate the help guys. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of woodworking in general, but never on this scale. As this is a company project, and a fresh one at that, we really don't have the capital for much in the way of software.

Mike Null
07-17-2014, 4:54 PM
Josh

Sorry I couldn't get back to you. A quick check of my clipart file in Engravlab turned up an hourglass. Check to see if you have a clipart file and look under "objects". You'll find clipart under the "layout " menu.

the pdf isn't opening for me---let me know if you can open it

vic casware
07-17-2014, 6:08 PM
Hi, I don't want to start a heated discussion over Engravelab v Corel but i have been using Engravelab for years for all my Rotary and Router
engraving and i totally believe once you get the hang of Engravelab and it's editing tools it will thrash Corel for ease of use. IMHO

Mike Null
07-17-2014, 6:33 PM
Vic

I agree that Engravlab is great for text, even superior to Corel, but it doesn't begin to match Corel for all around graphics capability.

vic casware
07-17-2014, 7:24 PM
Vic

I agree that Engravlab is great for text, even superior to Corel, but it doesn't begin to match Corel for all around graphics capability.

I do agree with you there, looking through the Corel book it is indeed a powerful graphics tool.
Most of my engraving is commercial so I am mainly looking
at it from a rotary engraving point of view that redrawing and editing uses so few nodes and editing tools yet
is still quick and accurate, Lasering on the other hand has a lot more fine detail that actually shows up on the
engraved item that Corel's accuracy is useful.

Mitchell Tutty
07-17-2014, 7:29 PM
CASmate wins over Corel every day.